shadow71's Halo: Reach (Xbox 360) review

A great addition to the series

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from Halo Reach, with it being released only a year after ODST (a game that was nice, but was essentially just an expansion without many new gameplay improvements). I have to say though, i've pretty thoroughly enjoyed almost every minute I've played of Halo Reach.

• The campaign has some really cool levels, and is definitely best played 4 player coop over Xbox Live.
  • Sure the multiplayer simply made its own version of COD4's ranking/XP system, but that doesn't mean it isn't good and unique in its own way.
  • I really do like the ability to customize and create your own spartan, they probably could have put in a bit more variety in terms of the look of the armor and given some actual benefits to different pieces, but it's cool non the less.
  • While the combat is great, it's still kind of built around two people emptying their clips completely most of the time, and forcing the players into an awkward standoff to see who can place a grenade or melee attack first to get the kill. If you look at my player statistics, I believe my second most kills come from melee attacks rather than any of the secondary weapons.
  • Some of the new multiplayer maps are great, and I really appreciate them throwing in some classic ones as well.
  • The video editing tool is (still) very cool, and a feature not found in most games.
  • I'm a terrible writer so all reviews from this point forward will be primarily bullet points.

Final Verdict
  • If you've got some friends for the campaign, and/or an Xbox Live connection it's easily worth the full price of admission.