Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

Halo 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 On Xbox One Master Chief Collection

• 120 results
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I feel like stacking all of those games together would do a dangerously effective job of showing how little the campaign structure for Halo has changed since the first game. And of course there's also the question of multiplayer...

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I'd play them again. Isn't Halo 2 the only one not in HD right now though? I wonder if they would even be touching the other 3 or just porting them to Xbox One.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By bigjeffrey

@somberowl said:

I'd play them again. Isn't Halo 2 the only one not in HD right now though? I wonder if they would even be touching the other 3 or just porting them to Xbox One.

Halo 3 never ran at true "HD" ran at 1138x640 (HD being 1280x720)

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'm curious as to why they're not including ODST and Reach. I feel like me and many other people actually enjoyed those games more than 3 or 4. I imagine that these games will also be running on whatever new next gen engine Halo 5 will be running in. At least I hope so...

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really bummed that ODST and Reach aren't included, as those two are among my favorites. Still a great collection though. Maybe we can take out Halo 3, since it sucks, and slide one of those other two in?

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By aerobie

@whitestripes09: Well, if these rumors are actually true, then it's the "Master Chief Collection". It's probably partly a way for new players to learn the story of Master Chief, as a way to prep for Halo 5, which probably focuses on his story more. ODST and Reach weren't about him, so not directly a part of the Chief's story.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

annnnnd it's real

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty tempting.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This will be the best reason to own an Xbox One, and the best reason to wait to buy one until the inevitable "Xbox One Master Chief Edition" bundle.

Not for me, though. I'm not much of a Halo fan.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Vuud

I wonder if it will come to PC. I always thought it was very dickish of Microsoft to keep Halo away from Windows users for so long.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda sad now I want an Xbox One just because Halo 2 is still my favorite multiplayer game ever and I want to play the shit out of it again.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By EXTomar

@xyzygy said:

This is quite possibly the biggest HD remaster collection... wow. This is surprising.

It sucks that Reach is getting left out but this IS called the Master Chief collection, and there are four remastered games in there so you really can't complain. ODST I could take it or leave it, such a bleh story IMO.

It's a really good day to own an Xbox One. Sadly I'm not in that group lol. Soon.

I don't know about that. Both Metal Gear collections where huge where one had 5 games and the other had 8 games. I'm not sure there is a great reason to leave out ODST and Reach beyond budget constraints.

As for that last thing, I guess....I thought it was good to own xbone before today?

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: Reach and ODST are left out because they have nothing to do with Master Chief. Id guess this is just a way to let new players be able to catch up on the whole Chief saga before 5 next year.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hmmmm, "original engines"? there has to be some tweaking, can't wait to see.

Although ending of the trailer, I wish the other guy said something.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Very excited! Especially for Halo Nightfall!

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scared that the 100+ maps will lead to a bunch of weird ghost towns with everyone split between different games & playlists. Hope they structure things well enough to avoid that.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

I wonder if it will come to PC. I always thought it was very dickish of Microsoft to keep Halo away from Windows users for so long.

If you didn't see it, in Giant Bombs coverage of the Xbox one conference Jeff mentions he saw a build of the game where there was a prompt on the screen that said, "use mouse to look around" but then the developer or whoever picked up the controller and the prompt changed to say use controller to move around.
    Now obviously that might just mean that it was a developer copy and that was just there for them to use, but why build in an on screen prompt? I wont get too excited but I really have my fingers crossed that it means we'll get it on PC.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Might actually buy an xbox one for this, Halo 2 mutliplayer is still unsurpassed imo, at least on consoles, save for Socom 2 perhaps.

SuperKcross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bummed this doesn't include ODST but returning to halo 2 multiplayer is strangely enticing.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: Yeah I heard that. I really don't think you put a tutorial in like that if you're not planning a PC release. And you have to assume that testing for a console only game would use a controller, even if the build is running off a dev's PC. So we'll see.

Maybe even ODST and Reach as a separate bundle? But I don't wanna get my hopes up. I used to be a Halo fan when MS brought the first 2 to PC and this bundle could get me back into it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they don't fuck up the online for Halo 2...

I might buy an XONE, primarily, for this game in a year or two.

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited to see if any of that PC functionality stuff Jeff mentioned means it will come to PC eventually (an extremely slim chance if any). I'd love to revisit the Halo 2 multiplayer.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Itwastuesday

halo 2 multiplayer is coming back! monster energy drink and adderall and lip rings are BACK!!!!!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If they had thrown ODST in, I would have had to buy an Xbox One. Thankfully for my sanity and wallet, they did not.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd be stupid not to release this on PC and then make Halo 5 XBONE exclusive. Guaranteed hardware sales.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#76  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If they were cool, they would have a slayer matchmaking playlist that cycles between all 4 halo games, possibly between remakes of the same maps.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77 chaser324  Moderator

Halo 2 multiplayer alone is worth the entrance fee to me, especially if all of the glitches remain intact! I can't wait to relive my wasted college years of super bouncing on Zanzibar to snipe people in the face.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is fantastic, this is the kinda thing that will make be get an Xbox...well, this and Horizon 2 of course

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will also be really excited about this if Halo 2 multiplayer is back. Played that A LOT back then and it'd be great to go back.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Capum15

If this would hit PC...I would play the shit out of it.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for exiledastronaut
    ExiledAstronaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwheeeler: That's exactly what I'm scared of. :/ Still excited for it though!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird how the first game to get me excited about these consoles is 10 years old...

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I needed to change my pants after they announced this.

honeycut1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really looking forward to this and the price seems fair for all the content.

English

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By English

In regards to a PC version. Quotes from an IGN video interview around 16:52:

"we're concentrating on the xbox one version of the game right now. That's not to say a PC version's impossible, but it's not currently a plan" ... "as you know microsoft is taking PC pretty seriously as a gaming platform"

Reads to me like a PC version could very well happen/be announced in the future. With what Jeff has said about mouse prompts in the demo version, I'd guess they have dev builds running on PCs but don't have immediate solutions for things like anti-cheat or a replacement for games for windows live to handle gamertags and all that. I'd guess a PC version release after the Xbox one.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sweet!

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool to have on X1 but I only really care about Halo 2. Hopefully that redux looks great. Halo 4 on X1 will be a plus for a few dudes I know...we'll be replaying that stuff I guess.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@english said:

In regards to a PC version. Quotes from an IGN video interview around 16:52:

"we're concentrating on the xbox one version of the game right now. That's not to say a PC version's impossible, but it's not currently a plan" ... "as you know microsoft is taking PC pretty seriously as a gaming platform"

Reads to me like a PC version could very well happen/be announced in the future. With what Jeff has said about mouse prompts in the demo version, I'd guess they have dev builds running on PCs but don't have immediate solutions for things like anti-cheat or a replacement for games for windows live to handle gamertags and all that. I'd guess a PC version release after the Xbox one.

Well that's cool, at least they aren't straight denying it.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As someone who only ever played Halo 1 on PC way back when and Halo Reach and has otherwise mostly missed out on this franchise this collection looks pretty great. If for some mysterious and inexplicable reasons i come to own an xbone one day buying this is a no brainer.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#91  Edited By zombie2011

100 maps! 100 MAPS!!

This announcement was better than i could have hoped for, i was just looking forward to a Halo 2: Anniversary so i can play the MP again, but having all the game together is amazing.

darthslughorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that my favorite Halo is Reach, and I'm really bummed Master Chief is hogging the spotlight?

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That's a lot of Halo.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I still kind of find it annoying that essentially every game in this bundle will have been touched up to look better, what with the anniversary editions of 1 and 2, but 3 will just be an uprezzed port.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting article over on IGN that suggests that the reason this exists (other than $$$$), is because Halo multiplayer is losing relevance fast. That at its peak Halo 5 had 400K current users, which was halved the second COD Black Ops 2 released two weeks later and now it is struggling to hold a 5 figure player base.

They infer that this game has such a robust multiplayer suite so 343 can figure out what people enjoy about the franchise, multiplayer speaking.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iigrayfoxii: Funny how they use that claim of trying to figure out what people enjoy, as if all the fan outcry hasnt been obvious since like Reach. No matter how many people bitch about Halo feeling less like Halo, they keep making every game feel less like Halo. Sad im more excited for this then Halo 5 since 4 was awful.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rawrz: Was Halo 4 multiplayer that different than Reach? Sadly I cannot remember for the life of me and I didn't play Black Ops 2. I know it had the armor abilities of Reach.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@zolroyce said:

@believer258 said:

I would really like to see this ported to the PC. And I mean completely new ports for Halo 1 and 2. 1's is OK, 2's is tied to GFWL and would be a horrible port even if it wasn't.

I'd love for it to go to PC as well, but I bet anything if this is a thing that is going to happen it's going to remain exclusive on the X-box One as an attempt to drive of the sales for that console. That's what the jaded gamer in me thinks anyways. The hopeful one really does want a PC version though.

Yea, i thought this was the year MS was going to say Gears and Halo coming to PC. They do not get it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By EXTomar

@iigrayfoxii said:

Interesting article over on IGN that suggests that the reason this exists (other than $$$$), is because Halo multiplayer is losing relevance fast. That at its peak Halo 5 had 400K current users, which was halved the second COD Black Ops 2 released two weeks later and now it is struggling to hold a 5 figure player base.

They infer that this game has such a robust multiplayer suite so 343 can figure out what people enjoy about the franchise, multiplayer speaking.

This has been "the problem" for a while now. When you pickup a controller and start playing any FPS game, you expect a control configuration somewhat like "Left Trigger to Sight, Right Trigger to Fire". Guess what Halo does? Actually this is another problem where I can't tell you what Left Trigger does in Halo 3 let alone Reach let alone Halo 4 but I believe they all do something different let alone which button actually is "fire".

So yeah, no one makes games following Halo and haven't for years because other games have surpassed it. In many ways it is "quaint" like Half-Life style interface.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#100  Edited By falconer

@iigrayfoxii: VERY different. In Reach sprinting was an armor ability, and it felt shorter than a CoD sort of sprint so it wasn't TOO game breaking. But in H4 they had a straight up always be sprinting thing going on, and special weapons were drops called in by players rather than placed on the maps, so those two things alone completely broke what Halo is supposed to play like. Don't get me started on how all the maps were garbage...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.