Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

Halo 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 On Xbox One Master Chief Collection

• 120 results
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Is it weird that my favorite Halo is Reach, and I'm really bummed Master Chief is hogging the spotlight?

I too really liked Reach despite lots of people not liking it (I think it's also my favorite). I'd pay more money for some ODST and Reach xbox1 action

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@extomar said:

@iigrayfoxii said:

Interesting article over on IGN that suggests that the reason this exists (other than $$$$), is because Halo multiplayer is losing relevance fast. That at its peak Halo 5 had 400K current users, which was halved the second COD Black Ops 2 released two weeks later and now it is struggling to hold a 5 figure player base.

They infer that this game has such a robust multiplayer suite so 343 can figure out what people enjoy about the franchise, multiplayer speaking.

This has been "the problem" for a while now. When you pickup a controller and start playing any FPS game, you expect a control configuration somewhat like "Left Trigger to Sight, Right Trigger to Fire". Guess what Halo does? Actually this is another problem where I can't tell you what Left Trigger does in Halo 3 let alone Reach let alone Halo 4 but I believe they all do something different let alone which button actually is "fire".

So yeah, no one makes games following Halo and haven't for years because other games have surpassed it. In many ways it is "quaint" like Half-Life style interface.

What? Left trigger in Halo has always been "throw grenade" by default, right trigger has always been "fire" by default.

Controls are not the issue here. Halo's multiplayer started as a sort of arena-type multiplayer, the kind of thing that was still popular in 2001 when Combat Evolved came out. That kind of multiplayer has almost completely died out and been replaced by Call of Duty 4-esque progression, where everybody wins something at the end of a match (in other words, FPS multiplayer is yet another gaming Skinner Box). Halo 4 tried to bolt this into its multiplayer. I didn't play much of it, but that just didn't feel right at all.

Call of Duty is so popular because nobody ever actually loses at it. You still get something at the end of the match. Doing well gets you more of something - more points, more unlocks, more absolutely meaningless rewards - but even doing badly gets you a few of those things.

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

so awesome

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wheres Gears of War?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By bigjeffrey

@laserguy said:

Wheres Gears of War?

oh dont worry it's coming, this will probably sell gangbusters. We'll probably see a fable collection as well.

But if they do a gears on it would probably hit next year with beta access for the next gears.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Huh, that Halo 2 stuff looking real pretty. If I had a Xone I'd buy this but this also isn't the kind of thing that would get me to buy a Xone.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Only six out of the 100 maps get better graphics and modern gameplay? Lame.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those CG cutscenes look fucking incredible. Cannot wait for this!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#109  Edited By EXTomar

@believer258 said:

@extomar said:

@iigrayfoxii said:

Interesting article over on IGN that suggests that the reason this exists (other than $$$$), is because Halo multiplayer is losing relevance fast. That at its peak Halo 5 had 400K current users, which was halved the second COD Black Ops 2 released two weeks later and now it is struggling to hold a 5 figure player base.

They infer that this game has such a robust multiplayer suite so 343 can figure out what people enjoy about the franchise, multiplayer speaking.

This has been "the problem" for a while now. When you pickup a controller and start playing any FPS game, you expect a control configuration somewhat like "Left Trigger to Sight, Right Trigger to Fire". Guess what Halo does? Actually this is another problem where I can't tell you what Left Trigger does in Halo 3 let alone Reach let alone Halo 4 but I believe they all do something different let alone which button actually is "fire".

So yeah, no one makes games following Halo and haven't for years because other games have surpassed it. In many ways it is "quaint" like Half-Life style interface.

What? Left trigger in Halo has always been "throw grenade" by default, right trigger has always been "fire" by default.

Controls are not the issue here. Halo's multiplayer started as a sort of arena-type multiplayer, the kind of thing that was still popular in 2001 when Combat Evolved came out. That kind of multiplayer has almost completely died out and been replaced by Call of Duty 4-esque progression, where everybody wins something at the end of a match (in other words, FPS multiplayer is yet another gaming Skinner Box). Halo 4 tried to bolt this into its multiplayer. I didn't play much of it, but that just didn't feel right at all.

Call of Duty is so popular because nobody ever actually loses at it. You still get something at the end of the match. Doing well gets you more of something - more points, more unlocks, more absolutely meaningless rewards - but even doing badly gets you a few of those things.

Actually I do remember that left trigger is throw grenade because I and a bazillion other people forget and immediately throw a grenade after picking up the controller and trying to play the game cold when they spot the first enemy. :)

The point is: It isn't about the interface but a legacy or relic of older setups and configurations. Who puts "throw grenade" on left trigger? No one does because they found something else that does more for that location. This isn't a case where anyone is Halo is worse or better but that everyone else moved on and adopted something else. The same thing happened with Half-Life where the system of hot key selection of a dozen weapons isn't as popular as limited slots and generalizing ammo.

And that is kind of the point of the GP: Interfaces and designs have moved on from the 2000~ where Half-Life and Halo lost relevance in these areas along time ago.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@rachelepithet said:

It's still likely gonna have the same gameplay since it's just Halo 2. The graphical switching is instant so stuff like collision and level geometry will have to be very similar. Players who play the other maps probably wont be able to switch in-game.

I am pretty hype for this collection!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Remaking 100 maps would be a pretty insane undertaking, and honestly probably a waste of time and resources when most people will prefer the original versions anyway.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

This shoots right up there with the Orange Box as one of the best gaming values ever. That is a lot of stuff for $60.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@believer258 said:

@extomar said:

@iigrayfoxii said:

Actually I do remember that left trigger is throw grenade because I and a bazillion other people forget and immediately throw a grenade after picking up the controller and trying to play the game cold when they spot the first enemy. :)

The point is: It isn't about the interface but a legacy or relic of older setups and configurations. Who puts "throw grenade" on left trigger? No one does because they found something else that does more for that location. This isn't a case where anyone is Halo is worse or better but that everyone else moved on and adopted something else. The same thing happened with Half-Life where the system of hot key selection of a dozen weapons isn't as popular as limited slots and generalizing ammo.

And that is kind of the point of the GP: Interfaces and designs have moved on from the 2000~ where Half-Life and Halo lost relevance in these areas along time ago.

Man, how FPS's have fallen...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By bigjeffrey

Halo 2 Cinematics Re Done in CG [Trailer] from Comic Con panel looks real good.

Loading Video...

Also Zanzibar one of the maps getting remastered. Next map will be revealed at Gamescom.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bigjeffrey: Why do you always post the guardians poster in a spoiler block?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By fattony12000

New stuff showing Halo 2...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#118  Edited By Bollard

@bigjeffrey: Watching that Halo 2 cutscene has reminded me how much I actually liked the original games before 4. Damn it was such a cool universe. I guess if this ever graces PC I'd get it for 1 and 2 remastered, but meh.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Some reports out of Gamescom are saying that Bungie showed Halo 3 as well behind closed doors and they had made some small improvements there. No footage though :(

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/16/6023915/how-halo-the-master-chief-collection-is-improving-on-more-recen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.