Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

MCC - List of Halo's Maps and Remakes (Updated)

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Thiago123

So as I understand it the Master Chief Collection will include all maps from the main Halo games (everything except Halo: Reach since ODST did not have traditional multiplayer). One of the fun things that the series has always done is revisit old maps. But it can get pretty confusing knowing which maps have been remade where, as Bungie always gave them a new (related) name.

I put together a quick list of all maps released for each game (link below). The columns list the maps by game (includes all DLC and alternate versions), and you can go horizontally on the rows to see if and when the map has been remade.

As I understand it, Master Chief collection will include all of the maps in this spreadsheet in their original engines EXCEPT for the ones in Column D (Halo: Reach). I am really hopeful that they release them later as DLC to complete the experience!

LINK: List of all Halo Multiplayer Maps

Not included:

Spartan Ops - As I understand it, this will not included at launch, but will be added as free DLC laterFirefight - Not in the MCC as it was only part of Reach and ODST (also, hoping for DLC on this)Let me know if I missed something.

UPDATE - 343 has released an updated list of their launch matchmaking hoppers and which game modes and maps will feature in each playlist. Thought this would be a nice companion to the list of maps I posted. You know, so you can appreciate your Halo history haha...

Corrected Link - MCC Launch Day Matchmaking Playlists

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Nice work, man. That's helpful to have some of the remade maps presented like it is there. I'll probably be sticking to mostly the Halo:CE maps because I felt like the multiplayer went downhill from there (though Halo 2 MP had its moments). I never played the PC Halo:CE maps, so I'm interested to play some of those.

As an aside, the MCC might be the best video game deal of all-time in terms of overall content. It's right up there with The Orange Box.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thiago123
    @notnert427 said:

Nice work, man. That's helpful to have some of the remade maps presented like it is there. I'll probably be sticking to mostly the Halo:CE maps because I felt like the multiplayer went downhill from there (though Halo 2 MP had its moments). I never played the PC Halo:CE maps, so I'm interested to play some of those.

As an aside, the MCC might be the best video game deal of all-time in terms of overall content. It's right up there with The Orange Box.

Thanks - I always wanted to put a list together for myself to keep it straight (rather than clicking through a bunch wiki pages), so thought I'd share it here.

Ofcourse, there is a lot of debate between Halo fans on which multiplayer is the best. The short answer for me is Halo 3 is my favorite because of the full suite of things you could do and thorough Bungie support. But, they all have their own unique features which make them stand out:

• Halo CE - The pistol. That nostalgic feeling of playing in LAN parties/couch play.
    • Halo 2 - Brought online FPS play to consoles, and with it, extreme competitiveness. The hitscan BR, the glitches (BXR, etc). Energy Sword on Midship.
    • Halo 3 - A graphical leap for the new generation. A whole suite of awesome hoppers and features for online play (Forge, Theater, Sharing Clips, Pictures, etc). removal of hitscan weapons (i.e. the great BR bullet spray debate!). That extremely overpowered shotgun at launch - good times.
    • Halo: Reach - This one is summed up to me in two features - Reticle Bloom & Armor Abilities. Love them or hate them...
    • Halo 4 - Maybe the best looking game on 360. Modernized Halo multiplayer, for better or for worse. Custom armors, loadouts, perks etc. Introduced the Promethean weapons.

When you consider all of those unique features and that ALL of it will be in the MCC in it's own engines (5 separate multiplayer engines, 1over a hundred maps). PLUS 4 full campaigns with new features, the remastering of Halo 2, a unified UI with great touches like the ability to chose an achievement and load right into the correct campaign map for it, etc etc. I don't think there is much doubt that this has to be the best value ever (?). (Yes, I'm just a little bit hyped for this, OK?!? :) haha)

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

God, looking at that list only serves as a reminder for how terrible Halo 4's multiplayer was.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Sick sheets man! I'm pretty excited to see how many of these I've never played/seen.

Avatar image for thatthereitalian
    thatthereitalian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wow, great work. It really shows that I've forgotten about a pretty large number of classic Halo 1 and 2 maps.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope (But strongly doubt) that Firefight makes it in there, such a great mode.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thiago123
    @evilsbane said:

I really hope (But strongly doubt) that Firefight makes it in there, such a great mode.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'makes it in there' - As I understand it, it won't be in the main game. As a free download, I'd highly doubt that too.... BUT....

Can't you just see MS doing a $30ish expansion pack called something like "Beyond Master Chief" which includes the Reach and ODST campaigns, all of Firefight and the Reach multiplayer, and a couple more remade Halo 2 maps (HOW COULD THEY HAVE NOT DONE MIDSHIP!)? Maybe even a "Best-of" community map variants? Seems like a no-brainer to me! And with the value of the MCC, I won't complain about price.

OR, how about we get a little bit more crazy:

2016 - Halo Collection Vol 2 (Non-Masterchief)

• Halo 3: ODST Campaign & Firefight
    • Halo Wars
    • Halo: Reach Campaign & Multiplayer & Firefight
    • Halo: Spartan Assault
    • Halo: Spartan Strike
    • Copy of Forward Unto Dawn Movie
    • Updated Interactive Halo Encyclopaedia / Waypoint Archive
    • Voucher for Digital Copy of Halo books/comic books

Yea, that's crazy talk.

stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems a little odd to not have Valhalla from 3 be listed as a Blood Gulch remake when Avalanche is listed here as a Sidewinder remake. Both maps use the basic layout of the originals while taking some liberties elsewhere. Then again, Ragnarok from 4 is a remake of Valhalla specifically instead of a new BG interpretation, so maybe it's better classified as a separate map as is.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

So, Im assuming the unremade maps will be played in the original graphics?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seems a little odd to not have Valhalla from 3 be listed as a Blood Gulch remake when Avalanche is listed here as a Sidewinder remake. Both maps use the basic layout of the originals while taking some liberties elsewhere. Then again, Ragnarok from 4 is a remake of Valhalla specifically instead of a new BG interpretation, so maybe it's better classified as a separate map as is.

Valhalla is its own map through and through. It's got some aspects similar to Blood Gulch, but the sight lines are different, the landmarks are different, the terrain is different, and the overall size is much smaller. Avalanche has changes, just like every other remake does, but the geometry is largely the same as Sidewinder, whereas the geometry of Valhalla is completely different from Blood Gulch.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The most recent episode of IGN's Podcast Unlocked is just 45 minute interview with Max Hoberman, one of the guys what put a lot of Halo and Halo 2 maps together, as well as some of the later game maps.

He shares his thoughts on what he likes/loves/hates, talks about the design process at the time, struggles, reasons for why some maps are how they are, etc. Really fascinating inside stuff that's still very easy to follow.

Extremely interesting if you care for that sort of thing, thought I'd share with you guys. Link be here.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

@thiago123: nice work man! Also, i agree that i would really love to see firefight added in to this amazing collection. Your spreadsheet reinforces my belief that Blood Gulch and all of its iterations are the essential Halo multiplayer level after seeing how many times it has appeared in the series.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@thiago123: nice work man! Also, i agree that i would really love to see firefight added in to this amazing collection. Your spreadsheet reinforces my belief that Blood Gulch and all of its iterations are the essential Halo multiplayer level after seeing how many times it has appeared in the series.

You'd think at the very least they could get the ODST firefight maps into the game as DLC since they've already got the Halo 3 engine up and running in this collection, but the Reach stuff would necessitate yet another entirely different game engine to be integrated, which seems unlikely unless they go all the way and bring the entirety of Reach into the collection at some point.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@ll_exile_ll: yeah the thing with ODST is i would want matchmaking for that firefight as it never had it but yeah Reach did have a different engine.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thiago123
    @bigboss1911 said:

So, Im assuming the unremade maps will be played in the original graphics?

Thats right. As far as I know all of the multiplayer will be in it's original engines and graphics except all upscaled to 1080p and 60 fps. Additionally,

• Halo CE maps will be in original CE engine, not the anniversary graphics used for the campaign. (The Halo CE Anniversary release did not remake multiplayer, only remade a few maps as a map pack for Halo: Reach)
    • Halo 2 maps will be in original Halo 2 engine, but in addition to that 6 maps were remade with the new Halo 2 Anniversary graphics engine.
    • Halo 3 - 343 has clarified that the Halo 3 campaign has been slightly touched up (slight improvements to the tech like shaders...individual assets were not re-created), so I assume the Halo 3 multiplayer maps will also look slightly better on that front, in addition to the upscaling.

I guess the best way to think about it is that the MCC will have 5 separate engines for multiplayer:

1. Halo CE
    2. Halo 2
    3. Halo 3
    4. Halo 4
    5. Halo 2 Anniversary

The map that comes up on the playlist will automatically load the correct engine, game physics, etc.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea very true. It is the only map that has been remade 4 times! (fun spreadsheet trivia haha). The competitive scene might argue for one of the smaller maps like Battle Creek or Wizard, and everyone else has their own favorites. But considering the concepts of large open spaces, sandbox combat, the influence on things like Red Vs. Blue, and the impact it had on casual play such as big team or objective based game modes, Blood Gulch might take the cake.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

God, looking at that list only serves as a reminder for how terrible Halo 4's multiplayer was.

I liked it just fine. I probably wound up playing it more than any of the other Halo multiplayer modes.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thiago123: They didnt do Midship because it has already been confirmed to be in Halo 5.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

We're going get like 135 maps and 4 games in one package. I really don't need DLC. that is way more than enough to tide me over till Halo 5 next year, that's not even taking the beta into consideration either.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They're doing the PC maps too? Does that mean we'll get the janky Halo 1 flamethrower that Gearbox made? (No Banshees on BG please)

I really hope 343 get creative with their matchmaking playlists. Obviously there's still going to be custom games. But i'm curious to see what they come up with.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thiago123
    @rawrz said:

@thiago123: They didnt do Midship because it has already been confirmed to be in Halo 5.

Wow OK, I hadn't seen that - Makes sense, thanks. I saw a glimpse of what obviously looked like Midship in the teaser, but I didn't want to make an assumption. As far back as Halo 3, any map preview that has had a Covenant Theme (read: any bit of purple), people always yell - OMG MIDSHIP!

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

They're doing the PC maps too? Does that mean we'll get the janky Halo 1 flamethrower that Gearbox made? (No Banshees on BG please)

I really hope 343 get creative with their matchmaking playlists. Obviously there's still going to be custom games. But i'm curious to see what they come up with.

Yes, PC maps will be included. 343 just updated their launch playlists - Link is in the original post. Didn't have a chance to really look into it yet, but it looks like the Halo CE playlist is delayed, but will still feature in randomly to Team Slayer. Bummer since that's the only one we haven't experienced on LIVE, but will look forward to it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

@boozak said:

Yes, PC maps will be included. 343 just updated their launch playlists - Link is in the original post. Didn't have a chance to really look into it yet, but it looks like the Halo CE playlist is delayed, but will still feature in randomly to Team Slayer. Bummer since that's the only one we haven't experienced on LIVE, but will look forward to it.

Your link to 343 leads me back here.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rawrz

@thiago123: Yeah sadly the version in 5 is like blue which at first bugged me. I want Midship to be its iconic purple but oh well. Ill take blue Midship over no Midship.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: well that's just embarassing. I'm on mobile so I'll fix the link later. Here is the URL:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/matchmaking-playlist-lineup-update

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rawrz said:

@thiago123: Yeah sadly the version in 5 is like blue which at first bugged me. I want Midship to be its iconic purple but oh well. Ill take blue Midship over no Midship.

So I just saw the video from "Halofest" where some MLG pros play a match of Halo 5 Beta on Midship, called "Truth" in Halo 5 (linked below). Phenomenal match. Despite 343 completely botching the MCC launch, this actually restored my faith in them. This is what the evolution of Halo should have been, a focus on things like movement while keeping the maps and starts completely even, not things that ruin the balance of the combat trinity (melee, grenade, guns) like ordnance drops, perks/loadouts, armor abilities.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.