Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

Post patch performance?

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Poll Post patch performance? (19 votes)

Works pretty well! 47%
    Still broken, but I get a match or two. 79%
    My Xbox One is on fire. I set it on fire after my last incomplete match and threw it out the window. 53%

So, after one week and a pretty hefty patch, the Master Chief Collection is still miserably broken for me. I feel...betrayed. I realize the argument lately has been "You know, you should have waited." It's a valid criticism, but I expected that the Halo machine would run Halo pretty well at launch, especially considering it's a collection of older games that had working matchmaking systems to begin with. I don't think it's outrageous to think that this game should have been at least 50% less broken than it is currently. I still haven't gotten a lag-free, even-teams match after the patch yesterday. I feel like I've been duped into an Early Access purchase. Is my Xbox One secretly a Steam Machine?

The situation is even worse for me as I purchased the game completely on the cooperative nature of the game, since I hate playing Halo alone. My friend and I can't even connect to each other's campaigns, much less get matchmaking to work in our favor.

So, how about you? How has your experience with The Chief been after the patch yesterday?

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Going to try it now. Not hearing good things from Twitter.

Update: Didn't fix shit for me. After like five minutes of waiting I get "Players Found..." on the side, then like five minutes later I get a "Couldn't connect to session ."

Fuck this shit. I'm just gonna play Pokemans and GTA V and wait 6 months and 20 patches later for them to fix this. Unbelievable. Halo 5 is definitely not a day one purchase anymore.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

It's slightly improved, still mostly busted. 10 days later and the thing most people bought this for is barely functional. If I wasn't busy with all the other games coming out right now, I would be fucking livid that the thing I spent 60$ on (70$ in canada) barely fuckin' works. A lot of people are cursing 343 pretty heavily, and I can't say I blame them, seems mostly deserved.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm hoping that this was a botched job because they're sooooo focused on 5 but I think I'm just being optimistic here. ; ;

A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0 said:

I'm hoping that this was a botched job because they're sooooo focused on 5 but I think I'm just being optimistic here. ; ;

Well, they've lost my purchase on 5 either way. I didn't care for Halo 4, and after this technical mess there's no chance in hell I'll give 343 another try.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By big_jon

I haven't played it yet because I'm away, hope it's fixed.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's as broken as Polls on GB are.

I actually haven't had too many problems with it, it's working well for me but that was also the case pre-patch so i'm not sure why that its.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By superfriend

Just played a couple of matches in Halo3 and that one ran pretty well. The framerate does a couple of weird things, but the game and netcode seemed okay. The second game even had (gasp!) balanced teams. Halo 2 Anniversary is still laggy as all hell for me. Dunno, I have a pretty bad connection.. but other games run fine.

The matchmaking in general seems improved, but the game is still kinda broken.

2014 seems to be the year of hot garbage that is on fire and therefore even hotter.

Edit: 343 and Microsoft seem like a big joke nowadays. It seems they are actively trying to turn Halo into something it shouldn't be (a TV show) or something it can't be (a CoD knockoff). They sure as hell don't care about classic Halo- the MCC proves that.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some conflicting reports across forums and Twitter. But it seems like, for the most part, the 1.5 GB patch they released didn’t positively affect the package. Match times are typically about the same. Instead of only reading “Searching,” the matchmaking lobby will now read “Player Found” and will spin indefinitely, forcing the user to quit to menu.

In-match issues are still mostly present. Uneven teams—one of the things 343 cited as fixed with this update—still occur regularly. I had one 6v5 match in a 5v5 playlist within three hours of downloading the update, and a couple of 2v5’s additionally. The netcode stability is in constant fluctuation and does not appear to remain consistent even across multiple games with the same group of players.

Reports of crashing have increased since the patch, and new quirks on the Campaign-side of things have popped up in the last twelve hours. Users have lost both Campaign progress and singleplayer achievement progress since the patch. Many of the achievements continue to not activate once unlocked. (The game tells me in the menu, for instance, that I’ve completed each level in Halo: Combat Evolved on Legendary difficulty, but the achievement tracker shows a mere only 93% completion percentage. Multiple users cite the same issue, even ruling out the possibilities that skulls or modifiers have negated achievement status.)

It’s a train wreck, plainly. And it isn’t getting better. UI crashes and glitches in Campaign, Matchmaking, and Custom Game modes mean there isn’t one reliable gameplay experience offered by the Master Chief Collection.

No idea what this does to the community apart from fracture and estrange it further. While no official response has been released by 343i, I’ll be curious to see just how this pans out. It’s difficult not to feel like we’ve been taken advantage of for our passion for this franchise, but it’s still good to keep a level head while these myriad technical failings get ironed out. If they do.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do updates download automatically or is there a prompt? Didn't see anything when I played an hour ago.

Took about 10 mins to get into the ranked playlist and then tried to get into a btb but stop trying after waiting in the que for 30 mins.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Do updates download automatically or is there a prompt? Didn't see anything when I played an hour ago.

Took about 10 mins to get into the ranked playlist and then tried to get into a btb but stop trying after waiting in the que for 30 mins.

It is supposed to give you a prompt when you start the application for Halo: MCC. But a lot of people have reported it won't begin downloading, won't complete downloading some mid-download percentage between 33-47%, or won't provide the prompt whatsoever. Some have even explained the game prompted them to download the update in the middle of a campaign mission or a matchmade game.

So, it's random, though there's supposed to be a method.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My first match last week was Halo 1 on Damnation, connected quickly, and it was glorious.

Ever since then, I'm trying to recreate that feeling amid the technical issues with no luck. I NEED this to be fixed completely.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im guessing 343 knew there were issues going in and woukd have wanted all the time in the world to iron it out, but im pretty sure MS wouldn't let that slide.

Regardless, i'm not frothing at the mouth about it, and have yet to try myself to verify firsthand. I remain confident it will get fixed and will refrain from dropping extreme superlatives.

A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just played a couple of matches in Halo3 and that one ran pretty well. The framerate does a couple of weird things, but the game and netcode seemed okay. The second game even had (gasp!) balanced teams. Halo 2 Anniversary is still laggy as all hell for me. Dunno, I have a pretty bad connection.. but other games run fine.

The matchmaking in general seems improved, but the game is still kinda broken.

2014 seems to be the year of hot garbage that is on fire and therefore even hotter.

Edit: 343 and Microsoft seem like a big joke nowadays. It seems they are actively trying to turn Halo into something it shouldn't be (a TV show) or something it can't be (a CoD knockoff). They sure as hell don't care about classic Halo- the MCC proves that.

I don't know about the last statement. The bugs and infrastructure work needed on this title certainly seems foolish, especially for such a key title in Microsoft's library, but the amount of content, the remastered sounds/visuals all dictate a clear intention to at least TRY and honor the past titles. I don't think they "don't care," I think they rushed to get it shipped for the holiday season, clearly put out a bugged, barely functional networking system alongside some fantastic single-player content. I'd love the collection a little bit if I was the least bit interested in playing single-player Halo campaigns.

BoldFacedLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to be able to get into a match, hopefully it's fixed soon because I never played any of the Halo games online until Reach and 4. What concerns me more so than the mp issues is just the state of the game in general. It seems like a very rushed product with campaign tracking not working, achievements not unlocking, constant crashing (specifically in Halo 4 after completing missions), checkpoints not registering, saving across all campaigns has been very spotty at best, etc. There's honestly to much to list, I've had many issues with the game and I feel like it's getting a free pass for the most part by the gaming journalists because of the entire package it contains which is cool, but a lot of the features are barely in working condition.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FrostyRyan

I really think everyone who bought this garbage deserves a refund. The campaign doesn't checkpoint correctly, the menus have severe glitches, the online component is nearly unplayable, the achievements don't unlock, the game crashes often(going on 7 times for me now)...

I've tested beta versions of games that work much, much better. This package releasing so early is offensive. $60 for a completely defective product. I don't think I've seen a high profile release this messed up before. It's really disgusting.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Since I'm somewhat at a loss of words for how unbelievably broken this thing is, here's a video of my latest matchmaking attempt...

Loading Video...

This happens to me like 2/3rds of the time now.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was a pile of shit for me too.

Until...

I reset my console. I don't mean on and off. I held the button on the console down till it shut down. I restarted it and voilà. Works well.

Well... it's far from perfect still. 343 has a lot of work to do. It's faster. But definitely not Call of Duty search times. That's a pipe dream. Anyway, this worked for me. Not guaranteed.

Still... 343 messed this one up. I'm sure it wasn't easy getting 4 games working with their own code and all so I still have complete faith in Halo 5. I bet the beta will run better than this. Anyway, back to Halo :) see you online... hopefully.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldnt know if the new patch works because I HAVE MOVED ON, I do hope it ends up working out because i know a lot of people really want to play some multiplayer. Ive realized my fond memories of halo will remain just that. Sad face

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Got into my first multiplayer match EVER last night post-patch, which is an improvement in my book. Played a handful of matches in the Halo 3 list, which seemed smooth enough after a rough start.

Still waiting longer than I'd like for games, and it's hard to know how much of the issue is server population vs brokenness. I'm betting on brokenness.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before the patch I could get into games, now after about 40 minutes of waiting, nothing. So sad.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This patch definitely improved the matchmaking side of things...for me anyway. It's not perfect but it has been a huge improvement for me. Other than that, the game has been giving me no issues what so ever. Not getting any of the single player campaign or achievement bugs being reported. It sucks the launch wasn't smooth but I'm sure they'll get it together soon.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By kindgineer

I am so glad I checked the GB forums before I bought it. I figured, based purely off pedigree and faith, that the new patch would sort things out. Was in line to get it, and switched over to Dragon Age: Inquisition without hesitation.

It's such a bummer, too. Halo is a huge part of my childhood. To see what is basically Jesus' second coming for Halo fans crash so hard leaves me a little empay inside.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Anyone know if I can get still get a refund from gamestop for open game? I've been against returning this but it's been almost 2 WEEKS and it's still fucking broken. There is absolutely zero excuse for this.343 will not be getting my money for halo 5, regardless if they fix this game or not.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrFlapjack

After about an hour of waiting a match finally started, 7/10 people for Slayer. When the loading screen popped up it was for a campaign mission for Halo 2... which it was stuck on indefinitely so I had to restart my Xbox. After I tried loading Halo again it hard locked before it even got to the main menu.

This is a bit absurd, I'm a huge Halo fan and this is a disappointment to say the least.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After turning my xbox on off and on three times, reseting my router my friend and I were finally able to get into a matchmaking game together. Halo 1 on Wizard. After about 2 minutes of gametime the game completely crashed and crashed to the desktop. So frustrating. I bought my Xbox One just to play this with my friends who live away from me. :( :( :(

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is the most broken high profile product I think to ever be released in the history of video games. I've tested private betas that run much, much better than this.

The game crashes, it wrongly checkpoints your campaign progress, the user interface heavily glitches out with overlapping text and images, and the entire online component is almost completely unplayable. Unusable.

343, Microsoft Studios, whoever the fuck is to blame for this rushed garbage should be ashamed of themselves. We deserve refunds. Every single person who bought this deserves refunds. There are people who bought the Xbox One just for this one disc and it does not function properly. You were quick to take out $60, we're allowed to be quick to be angry. More than a week now, and nothing about the game works properly.

As of now, I'm not looking forward to Halo 5 in the slightest. Certainly won't be getting it at launch. I'd be stupid to do that. Completely disgusting this was released so early for $60.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.