Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo Wars

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 26, 2009

Halo Wars is a real-time strategy game for the Xbox 360. Join the Halo Wars crew on the UNSC ship CFV-88 Spirit of Fire and engage the Covenant head-on in an attempt to hold on to the recently taken human colony of Harvest. All Units!

Game Informer Reviews Halo Wars 9/10

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64
    http://gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200903/R09.0303.1150.58079.htm  : Article

"Longtime real-time strategy house Ensemble Studios has been shut down by its parent company, Microsoft, much to the dismay of its legions of Age of Empires fans. After playing the developer’s last game, Halo Wars, the studio’s closure is even more baffling. Halo Wars isn’t perfect, but it’s a huge step in the right direction for console RTS. For the first time in the sub-genre, I felt like I was playing a game instead of wrestling with a kludged-together control scheme.

The beauty of Halo Wars is its simplicity. There are no modifier keys on the controller, no mutable unit AI stances, and no resource collectors to babysit. More than anything else, the game is reminiscent of StarCraft in that it has just enough depth to be interesting and lets player strategy take care of the rest.

Both the UNSC and Covenant have access to three each of infantry, vehicles, and aircraft (plus über-units, leaders, and special commander-specific units). The tech trees are streamlined but important; upgrades like the marines’ rocket launcher and the Jackals’ deflector gauntlet are huge. Special abilities and support powers are likewise streamlined. Units have one ability apiece on a cooldown, with no energy bar to manage. Support powers like calling in orbital artillery are also restricted by cooldowns, but also cost resources to use.

This all adds up to a gameplay formula that is light on the boring kind of micromanagement (tech trees, resource gathering, and base building) and heavy on using awesome units to blow the hell out of the enemy. Along with having few interface problems to contend with, this allows your time to be put to use formulating and executing strategies. All by itself, this fact makes Halo Wars the best RTS on console to date, bar none.

The single-player campaign is relatively replayable, with higher scores to attain and difficulties to conquer, as well as black boxes and skulls to collect. The 15 missions tell a story that Halo fans will dig, though they often rely too much on gimmicks and endlessly spawning enemies to cover up for a lackluster AI.

Offline skirmishes are a disappointment, with that same lame AI (I should not be able to crush a Legendary opponent 100 percent of the time with ease) sapping the mode of its potential. Using skulls to up the difficulty helps offset this, but it’s no substitute for a challenging, fair match. Online, however, is outstanding. The maps are varied and well-designed, and the factions and commanders seem balanced. Against human opponents, Halo Wars’ excellent gameplay is free to shine without annoying campaign gimmicks or bad AI to hold it back. Co-op campaign play is fun as well, though all it does is let both players control the same units – nothing else changes in co-op.

Though Halo Wars is a vanilla RTS at its core, it’s a solidly made one that proves that traditional genre mechanics can work on console. This is a fitting send-off for one of the best-loved RTS studios in the world."

CONCEPT:
    Build an RTS for console from the ground up, rather than shoehorning a PC design onto a gamepad

GRAPHICS:
    You can’t reasonably ask for more than this solid framerate and gorgeous ­presentation

SOUND:
    Voice cues give needed updates on the strategic situation, and the music does the Halo franchise proud

PLAYABILITY:
    Could it be? A control scheme that works reasonably well? Why, yes, it just might!

ENTERTAINMENT:
    There is no reason to look elsewhere for console real-time strategy

REPLAY:
    High

Final Score : 9

I think the review was good.  Click the link above to read the second opinion.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Relys

The demo was complete shit. Why play Halo Wars, when you can play Company of Heroes? Along with the Collectors Edition Mythic Map pack bullshit, this feels like just an attempt by microsoft to milk their fanbase as much as possible.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187
    Relys said:
    "The demo was complete shit. Why play Halo Wars, when you can play Company of Heroes? Along with the Collectors Edition Mythic Map pack bullshit, this feels like just an attempt by microsoft to milk their fanbase as much as possible."
    Don't judge the game by the demo.  I was pleased with what I played at the house.  This is the best RTS you'll find on consoles, and for once, that's a compliment.

Sure, you almost never run out of resources, but you keep the battle going onward for a while because of it.  The base building is pretty weak, but base building is becoming less and less important in RTS games nowadays.  To be honest, Halo Wars is an excellent RTS game and deserves a good score.  Is it worth a 9?  I don't personally think so, but it still doesn't suck.

My biggest complaint is that it feels like the multiplayer might get a bit stale after a while with only two factions and some kind-of-underwhelming maps.  Hopefully, we'll see the Flood added in with some DLC expansion action and make things interesting.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By vidiot
    This review was brought to you by GameStop, where you can buy Halo Wars used for only $54.99!

...sorry... I'm pretty synical. But the well intentioned, debatable console RTS getting a 9/10 from the magazine that GameStop owns, in accompaniment with the game plastered all over their website is...skeptical... Don't exactly take GI very seriously anymore.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187
    vidiot said:
    "This review was brought to you by GameStop, where you can buy Halo Wars used for only $54.99!

...sorry... I'm pretty synical. But the well intentioned, debatable console RTS getting a 9/10 from the magazine that GameStop owns, in accompaniment with the game plastered all over their website is...skeptical... Don't exactly take GI very seriously anymore."
    Given that the general average seems to be around an 82% rating, a 9/10 doesn't seem like that crazy of a stretch at all.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

Gamestop can suck my balls, and so can this mag.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By vidiot
    jakob187 said:
    "vidiot said:
    "This review was brought to you by GameStop, where you can buy Halo Wars used for only $54.99!

...sorry... I'm pretty cynical. But the well intentioned, debatable console RTS getting a 9/10 from the magazine that GameStop owns, in accompaniment with the game plastered all over their website is...skeptical... Don't exactly take GI very seriously anymore."
    Given that the general average seems to be around an 82% rating, a 9/10 doesn't seem like that crazy of a stretch at all.
    "
    Meh.

Call me paranoid then.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64
    vidiot said:

...sorry... I'm pretty synical. But the well intentioned, debatable console RTS getting a 9/10 from the magazine that GameStop owns, in accompaniment with the game plastered all over their website is...skeptical... Don't exactly take GI very seriously anymore."
    DAMN!!  THAT'S A GOOD DEAL!!!    *sarcastic*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.