Halo Waypoint is a downloadable application for the Xbox 360
and Windows Phone 7
developed by 343 Industries
. It was released on November 5th, 2009 and serves as a central hub for Halo
-related content, including news, exclusive video footage, trailers, and screenshots. It also allows players to keep track of achievements
in Xbox 360 Halo games, as well as allowing players to unlock avatar awards
for their Xbox 360 avatars
and unique gear
for use in Halo: Reach
Some Giant Bomb videos have been featured
within Halo Waypoint, including "You Say Goodbye, I say Halo" (clips from the Xboxalypse
event) and " Ask Me Anything: Reach Beta
One of the two key components of Halo Waypoint is the Career section, where players track their achievement progress through various Xbox 360 Halo titles, compare their progress with friends, and earn avatar awards and gear for Halo: Reach. The games currently supported are Halo 3
, Halo Wars
, Halo 3: ODST
, and Halo: Reach
. It is currently unknown if the PC version of Halo 2
will ever be supported.
Halo Waypoint does not provide game-specific information for Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach, such as game statistics, armor and emblem used, and matchmaking rankings, which can only be found while playing those games or through Bungie.net
Along with achievements, players have an experience system that ranks their progress through the games supported. Every 100 "Halo Gamerscore" (gamerscore earned through the games supported) increases the player's Career Level. Using the dates of the achievements earned, Halo Waypoint also includes the specific date they reached each particular level. As more Halo games are released, the maximum Career Level rises. The current maximum level for Halo Waypoint is level 60.
Originally cosmetic, Career Levels have been used to gain unlockable gear in Halo: Reach. Increasing the Carrer Level to level 50 nets players a special avatar award.
Waypoint Awards are special awards earned by completing groups of related achievements. Each award has multiple "Tiers", which serve to track a player's progress with each award. As more Halo games are released, each Waypoint Award is updated. At the moment, they are purely cosmetic.
- Halo 3 A.C.E. (5 Tiers) - All 79 Halo 3 achievements.
- High Rating (6 Tiers) - 30 score-based achievements, from Score Attack achievements in Halo 3 to Firefight achievements in Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach.
- Explorer (7 Tiers) - 32 achievements involving exploration, from finding special skulls to accessing audio logs.
- Joint Service (7 Tiers) - All 233 achievements.
- Vehicle Specialist (5 Tiers) - 21 vehicle-based achievements.
- Special Weapons (5 Tiers) - 24 achievements involving unique weaponry.
- Deadliest Unit (7 Tiers) - 29 achievements.
- Warrior (5 Tiers) - 23 achievements.
- Team Player (3 Tiers) - 11 co-operative achievements.
- Distinguished Service (5 Tiers) - 26 completionist achievements.
- Heroism (4 Tiers) - 18 difficult achievements.
- Field Ops (4 Tiers) - 20 achievements.
- Campaign Veteran (3 Tiers) - 4 achievements that involve completing campaigns.
- Halo Wars A.C.E. (4 Tiers) - All 58 Halo Wars achievements.
- Halo 3: ODST A.C.E. (3 Tiers) - All 47 Halo 3: ODST achievements.
- Halo: Reach A.C.E. (4 Tiers) - All 49 Halo: Reach achievements.
Halo Waypoint was one of the first Xbox 360 applications to give avatar awards
. The Waypoint Monitor and ODST avatar awards were included in the original release of Halo Waypoint. The EVA Helmet was added on December 2009. The Halo: Reach Beta Hoodie was added on May 2010,
Halo: Reach Armor Unlocks
Added to Halo Waypoint during the release of Halo: Reach, reaching certain Career Levels and earning certain achievements in Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, or Halo: Reach earns you exclusive armor unlocks for use in Halo: Reach's Armory
. Helmet Chest
- UA/Base Security [W] - Career Level 30. Earn the " Yes, Sensei" achievement in Halo: Reach.
The second major component of Halo Waypoint is the Intel section, which serves as a base for information, videos, trailers, and screenshots relating to the Halo franchise. This includes fiction on characters, events, and technologies in the Halo universe, information about books and other Halo merchanise, community content and machinima
, game strategies, and the Halo Legends