Halo 2 Fever

Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

Lately I have been thinking a lot about Halo 2.  In high school I played this game non-stop. 
 

  1. Wake up
  2. Go to school
  3. Go home
  4. Play Halo 2 online
  5. sleep
  6. repeat
 
There was something about the clear system that the game created that I found comforting.  Memorizing map layouts, amount of shots it takes to kill someone, et cetera.  In retrospect, did I show signs of asbergers?  Sure, but I miss it.  It has been far too long since a game like this has come around.  Halo 3, in my eyes, was largely a disappointment because of the way they simplified it.  In Halo 2 there were varied levels of skill.  In Halo 3 there were just shit players and awesome players.  Many people left that game for Call of Duty 4.

After COD 4 was released I think the shooting genre really just changed entirely.  Players became obsessed with the concept of customization and load-outs in multiplayer. 
 
Will we ever see a return to the formulaic, chess-like gameplay of Halo 2?  I surely hope so.  I've had enough of the customization.
#1 Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

Lately I have been thinking a lot about Halo 2.  In high school I played this game non-stop. 
 

  1. Wake up
  2. Go to school
  3. Go home
  4. Play Halo 2 online
  5. sleep
  6. repeat
 
There was something about the clear system that the game created that I found comforting.  Memorizing map layouts, amount of shots it takes to kill someone, et cetera.  In retrospect, did I show signs of asbergers?  Sure, but I miss it.  It has been far too long since a game like this has come around.  Halo 3, in my eyes, was largely a disappointment because of the way they simplified it.  In Halo 2 there were varied levels of skill.  In Halo 3 there were just shit players and awesome players.  Many people left that game for Call of Duty 4.

After COD 4 was released I think the shooting genre really just changed entirely.  Players became obsessed with the concept of customization and load-outs in multiplayer. 
 
Will we ever see a return to the formulaic, chess-like gameplay of Halo 2?  I surely hope so.  I've had enough of the customization.
#2 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

At least number 4 isn't smoking pot like some people I knew in highschool.

#3 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

How exactly did Halo 3 simplify the gameplay formula?

#4 Edited by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:

At least number 4 isn't smoking pot like some people I knew in highschool.

I'm a clutch player.  I gotta keep my edge haha 
 
@Slaker117 said:

How exactly did Halo 3 simplify the gameplay formula?

I was referring to the difference of skill levels in the games.  I was learning new strategies in Halo 2 after a full year of playing.  I played Halo 3 for about a month and was as good as every other player out there.  I mean, it's possible that the players just got better, but I don't think that is the case. 
 
Halo 2 player tiers: 
  • Pro
  • Good
  • Mediocre
  • Shit
Halo 3 player tiers: 
  • Pro
  • Shit
#5 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

Man, I totally fell into the same "School -> Halo 2 -> Sleep" cycle freshman year of high school. No regrets, though. That shit was the funnest. SMG / Magnum was my jam!

#6 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -
@Babylonian said:

Man, I totally fell into the same "School -> Halo 2 -> Sleep" cycle freshman year of high school. No regrets, though. That shit was the funnest. SMG / Magnum was my jam!

No no no no! SMG/plasma rifle was the coolest combo!
#7 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

well there is always the CE remake

#8 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Cabbage_TheMan: Just play Quake Live. That's working out nicely for me. 
 

@kashif1

said:

well there is always the CE remake

Unfortunately, CE Anniversary is just using Reach multi-player on Halo 1 maps.
#9 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -
@iDarktread: true but if they dont have a "Halo 1 weapons and abilities" playlist i would be very surprised. 
#10 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@kashif1 said:

@iDarktread: true but if they dont have a "Halo 1 weapons and abilities" playlist i would be very surprised. 

  
Welp, just saw this video for the first time. Looks like there are giving the option to remove bloom. Hopefully it will be a title update that applies both here, and on Halo: Reach. Look at 4:15. 
 
I am so damn excited.
#11 Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -
 @kashif1 said:
well there is always the CE remake

 I wasn't really as fond of the first Halo :/
 
@iDarktread said:
@Cabbage_TheMan: Just play Quake Live. That's working out nicely for me. 
 
Quake Live freaks me out.  It's so fast! 
 
  
   
I'm actually thinking that the CounterStrike for consoles might be what I'm waiting for.  Hopefully that will come out right away next year.
#12 Posted by Nick (683 posts) -

@Cabbage_TheMan: I was thinking the same thing about Halo 2 until you mentioned CS, now FUCK there's a game I used to play every spare moment in highschool!

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@Cabbage_TheMan said:

In Halo 2 there were varied levels of skill.

I'm curious about what the hell this means.

#14 Posted by MisterChief (832 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Cabbage_TheMan said:

In Halo 2 there were varied levels of skill.

I'm curious about what the hell this means.

It is really difficult to explain. Basically the game was a lot more janky than subsequent games and this jank translated to added depth.

#15 Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -
@TooWalrus@Cabbage_TheMan said:
@Slaker117 said:

How exactly did Halo 3 simplify the gameplay formula?

I was referring to the difference of skill levels in the games.  I was learning new strategies in Halo 2 after a full year of playing.  I played Halo 3 for about a month and was as good as every other player out there.  I mean, it's possible that the players just got better, but I don't think that is the case. 
 
Halo 2 player tiers: 
  • Pro
  • Good
  • Mediocre
  • Shit
Halo 3 player tiers: 
  • Pro
  • Shit

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.