Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Halo: Combat Evolved HD shipping with Reach multiplayer

• 51 results
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

Microsoft doesn't comment on rumors or speculation, but the rumors of a Halo:CE remake have been continuous and coming from more and more credible sources. I was myself quite confident in these rumors before, but I have now talked to people who have seen the E3-trailer of this Halo remake and find myself being a bit outraged even before the announcement of said game. The HD-remake of Halo:CE is set for a November 2011 release, and will feature the original campaign apparently remastered with the Reach-engine. Continuing the legacy of Reach will be the multiplayer, which will feature both the persistent leveling-up system as well as equipment like the jetpack and bubble-shield. The multiplayer will also feature weapons which were not usable in Halo:CE, like the plasma-sword.

To me the most exiting thing about a Halo:CE remake was the idea of being able to play the game online with the original rule-set. Meaning no swords, no dual-wield and certainly no jetpacks. I really hope that there will be an option for the "original" rule-set in the multiplayer. The trailer did not show if these Reach-updates will be incorporated in the campaign.

I fully understand that I am certainly not a credible source, and you should not trust random forum posts on the internet for stuff like this. But even if you don't believe me, I'm interested in hearing what your reactions are to taking the HD-remake concept this far?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

Wait, so it's not actually shipping with Reach's multiplayer? Misleading title is misleading.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Slaker117
    @isomeri: Though this remake is looking a little short on the content side of things, I'd actually be glad if this proves true. I don't want another multiplayer Halo game so soon. No need to dulute the brand so quickly. And the is already a "Classic" playlist that allows for a more old-school rule set. It's more Halo 2 than Halo:CE, but it removes armor abilities, and things like dual-wielding were never even in Reach, so it's a decent middle ground.
    clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By clstirens

If this is true, I'm not picking this up.  I loved Halo 1 for it's campaign, not it's multiplayer, but I do not want to pay for Reach's mutliplayer twice. They did this with ODST (and I bought it) and I ended up regretting it as Halo 3 was already getting stale online. (not in numbers, I had just played it a ton)

Honestly, this makes me very sad.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Slaker117
    @clstirens: I know it's never a popular argument, but in some cases I think less is more. If ODST and the remake were to have unique multiplayer, I feel Halo would be suffering from a CoD style fatigue. The brand is already getting old naturally, coming out with iterations that make past games completely obsolete yearly would only speed that up. I'll agree that this should not be full price if you want to make that argument, but in my opinion, coming out with a separate MP that uses the same engine is a bad idea. It splits the user-base over petty changes.
    clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clstirens
    @Slaker117 said:
    @clstirens: I know it's never a popular argument, but in some cases I think less is more. If ODST and the remake were to have unique multiplayer, I feel Halo would be suffering from a CoD style fatigue. The brand is already getting old naturally, coming out with iterations that make past games completely obsolete yearly would only speed that up. I'll agree that this should not be full price if you want to make that argument, but in my opinion, coming out with a separate MP that uses the same engine is a bad idea. It splits the user-base over petty changes.
    You're right on this one. I guess it wasn't so bad on ODST, considering I never wanted that game to have it's own mutli, it was kinda like a bonus (though, at $60, that game was pricey if you didn't actually want the multiplayer) 

I guess a lot of fans were really looking forward to this because it meant we'd be getting Halo 1's "legendary" (subjective)  multiplayer.  I'm not necessarily able to speak for the masses, but Reach's multiplayer hasn't been doing great, it's dropped in number greatly, far few players online than Halo 3 was even just 6 months before reach launched. At this point, we're already getting a yearly sequel, why not give fans a new multiplayer to enjoy, considering not many of them are enjoying the current one at the moment.
    suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By suikoden352

as long as they keep the pistol like how it is in the original, i'll be happy. no need for a sniper rifle most of the time when you have your trusty hand cannon.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By clstirens
    @suikoden352: I honestly doubt they'll keep it so you can 1-shot hunters on legendary with it like in the first game.  (no, seriously, you could do that)
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slaker117
    @clstirens: I don't know, half a million daily is still pretty good. There's no denying that CoD has hurt Halo's numbers, but it's still strong compared to just about everyone else. And while there is a certain sect of people who feel Halo 1 has the best multi of the bunch, and I'm sure there would be a spike at release, ultimately that group of people is small, and I don't think a remake would see any better performance a few months out. This is the right move in my mind, though I hope they don't charge $60 for it. I mean, they will, and I'll buy a Halo:CE remake no matter what, but I wouldn't expect amazing sales out of it.

If MS wants much more out of the Halo name, they best string it out. Splitting users at this point could prove damning. There's still money to be made, and decay is only natural, but it's the difference between division and subtraction.

@clstirens said:
    @suikoden352: I honestly doubt they'll keep it so you can 1-shot hunters on legendary with it like in the first game.  (no, seriously, you could do that)
    God, if they are trying to just remake the campaign they best not fuck with the pistol. I could see why they don't what that in MP, but I have to have my golden gun.
    clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By clstirens

I don't buy the 'CoD is hurting Reach' Argument.  Halo 3 survived 3 Call of Duty releases (4, WaW, and the still extremely popular MW2).

Also, I agree that if we had a complete 1:1 remake of Halo 1's mutli, it's be over fast for the game. People just don't remember how janky and broken it was, I think.  But if we got a Halo built on Reach's engine, based in the first Halo's maps, with a retooled weapon set, then it could have some staying power.

But yes, half a million Unique Users is still damn good all things considered.

EDIT: Not trying to attack your argument with the first statement, by the way. I just hear that one a lot, and I'm not so sure that's the entire piece to the Halo: Reach population puzzle.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pweidman

Online co-op for the(legendary)campaign is all I need to hear for a day one buy. Halo's mp is very tired.  Just too many matches over all the games to care much.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By dagas

Halo is dead to me now that Bungie have stopped making them.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaker117

Eh, yeah, it's not all of it, but I think it's a significant piece. An aging brand and kind of bs armor abilities (armor lock) definitely play a role as well. Nothing lasts forever. Also, I think I'm done blowing Halo's legacy for today. I've said my piece, others can pick it apart if they want. I doubt we'll change each others' mind.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By JTB123

I'll probably get this regardless, I didn't play much of HaloCE multiplayer, so as long the campaign is still fun that's enough for me. Would be great if they made all the old maps in engine though, and gave us some more forge tools or upgrade theatre mode a little.

suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suikoden352

i know you could do that. everyone did. it was super messed up but it was super funny as well and that's part of why i love that gun and halo 1 really. people remember the jank from halo 1 but it's part of why people love that game. it was messed up in a lot of ways but it gave that game alot of heart though. sure people abused the crap out of the bugs and jankiness of halo 1 but it equaled out with people using that stuff to their advantage to have even more fun and create a whole new game experience. i don't see a reason not to let the pistol be the hand cannon it was. it didn't really hurt the gameplay all that much and people who have played the original have a fondness for it. bringing it back even if just for the campaign would prolly bring a few smiles to people. you can't appeal to everyone with the remake of course but nods here and there to the OG always help the staying power. reach's multi is a game all on it's own. 343 will need to be careful with how far they tred down that line between original and reach rules and guidelines because otherwise it could sour the experience altogether. i look forward to what it has to offer though. i always prefer halo to cod anyways. i could care less about prestiging or being shot by 9 year olds every few seconds and then being called weaksauce or some derogatory word/s. i usually find myself having a more fun experience with halo. nothin beats a good ole game of zombies or free for all rockets.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By clstirens
    @Slaker117 said:
    Eh, yeah, it's not all of it, but I think it's a significant piece. An aging brand and kind of bs armor abilities (armor lock) definitely play a role as well. Nothing lasts forever. Also, I think I'm done blowing Halo's legacy for today. I've said my piece, others can pick it apart if they want. I doubt we'll change each others' mind.
    True, such is the way with many gaming discussion, I suppose.  Although I'd be a fool if I didn't say that you somewhat enlightened me when you were talking about splitting a fanbase vs releasing a sequel game with the same multiplayer.  I guess to that end, maybe I'm just bitter at the idea of not having a different halo to play this fall.  Not because I want a new game every year, but because I'm not as much into reach as I was with 1, 2, or 3.  Either thanks to stagnation or some myriad of flaws with Reach.

Either way, I agree to disagree, and I need sleep.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117
    @suikoden352: I think a lot of that fondness comes from Halo:CE not being Live enabled. I loved the shit out of all the oddities in that game, but getting fucked over in some broken way is a lot less funny when it's an asshat online instead of your friend sitting right next to you.
    suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By suikoden352

@Slaker117: this is true though nowadays you're gonna get asshats anywhere you go. in a way, we were all asshats to each other back in the days on halo 1 in different ways that could be labeled similar in some ways to the online asshats of today. we all just gotta figure out which fights we really have the tolerance to deal with. cod is fun but it's never reached the levels of fun like i've had with halo through the years and uncharted was the last game to really do that for me. nothing serious. no need to play hours upon hours. just genuine pop in and go style fun. i agree that halo will need a change soon or somethin will have to come along to take its place but for now, i'll be happy with what i have and i'll keep playin. it'll be nice to see what 343 has in store for everyone though. fun times ahead for us all this coming week.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kishan6
    @isomeri: they have a classic playlist on reach if you want to do that. 
    and ya im with you and wish they just stuck with it being classic rather than reimagined
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fattony12000
    @clstirens said: 

Reach's multiplayer hasn't been doing great, it's dropped in number greatly, far few players online than Halo 3 was even just 6 months before reach launched.

lewlzwhut& 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

(both screencapped as of about 4 minutes ago) 

The MLG Columbus Halo Reach tourney I'm watching right now seems a-okay to me!
    http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/live/halo:_reach
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Yanngc33

Dammit, this is Microsoft's big reveal isn't it?

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By ShaneDev

I am a big fan of Halo but I think this is totally pointless, I mean remaking the game at all is pointless. Why bother adding online multi-player unique or not since if I wanted to play the original Halo multi-player I could go and get Halo Custon Edition on the PC and if I wanted to play the modern take on Halo CE multi-player I could just go and play Halo Reach. Even if I wanted to I could go and play Team Classic in Halo Reach which is the Halo 1 and 2 style on Halo 1 and 2 maps. Even on the campaign side what real benefits does a straight remake of Halo 1 on the Reach engine add? Its not something I would be really pushed to buy. If it was the first game with a few new and different levels here and there and stuff like that then maybe but then every fan of Halo 1 would be up in arms at the changes made. I just wish 343 would go and make a real game that is not Halo 4. I hope this isn't real and I especially hope its not going to be a MS big reveal. Maybe I'll buy it just so I can have 3 copies of the same game on different systems.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

E3 has brought about an army of threads with misleading titles.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By isomeri

@ShaneDev: I wouldn't say that remakes are pointless, and so far Microsoft has released miraculously few remakes. Come to think of it I can't name a single remake off the top of my head, not counting things like Rez HD which were originally released on different platforms. I'm surprised that Nintendo and Sony have gotten away with re-re-re-releasing their old games. Sony has released a ton of PS2-game remakes which I would actually rather call ports, like the God of War collection. I bought said collection myself and am not saying that there's no room for such packages, but it is quite disturbing that so much of Sony's catalog consists of these remakes. Nintendo is arguably the master of re-releasing old titles, with often the lead games for new platforms being ports of 10-year old classics. I would even go so far as to say that the Zelda series is pretty much a constant reworking of the past games.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PillClinton

Aren't they just going to sell remastered Halo CE on XBL for like 15 bucks or something?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#26  Edited By falconer

First of all, OP gave absolutely no source for everything he totally pulled out of his ass. It has also been rumored that it will NOT be using the Reach engine.

Shut up, and we'll find out tomorrow.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clstirens
    @Fattony12000: Yeah, I guess Half a million Unique Users isn't so bad.  I guess I'm more just looking at the numbers in matchmaking where some playlists are just about dead.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iDarktread

They'll mess it up, probably.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RE_Player1

I hope this isn't Microsofts big reveal. Nothing wrong with remakes and HD collections, I'm playing the Sly Cooper collection right now :), but I don't think that is your one last thing at a press conference. It would be like Sony coming out and saying they are remaking Final Fantasy 7 with Square Enix, that's cool and all but not the head liner.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By toowalrus

Halo 1 was a hell of a game- I'd pay $60 to play a remake, it's been awhile.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Afroman269

@ShaggyChu said:

First of all, OP gave absolutely no source for everything he totally pulled out of his ass. It has also been rumored that it will NOT be using the Reach engine.

Shut up, and we'll find out tomorrow.

This. Too many rumors on both sides of the fence saying it is and it isn't using the Reach engine. I hate these kind of crazy grabs for info just to be the first to hear it. I'm content with waiting for the press conference.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MisterChief

I hope The Library is more interesting this time round.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I want to play it with the original multiplayer, only updated and balanced. This sounds like a bad idea to me.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By niamahai

i wonder whether they will do a crazy CE for this like Reach?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arker101

Campaign online co-op would've sell it for me, instead of adding Reach's assets' which is kin of a bummer. : /

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fucking stupid. Give me Halo CE's competitive and highly superior multiplayer mechanics in matchmaking, not Halo Reach's imbalanced CoD-inspired multiplayer.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Slaker117: I actually like a lot of the stuff from the Original game's MP better than any of the following games, and I think it's still totaly reasonable to expect a REMAKE to include everything from the old game.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By clstirens

considering the amount of auto-aim in the first halo, it was hardly the pinnacle of competitive games. Not saying it was bad, I loved Halo 1, but still.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MisterChief

@CandiBunni said:

@MisterChief said:

I hope The Library is more interesting this time round.

I'm hoping it wouldn't be so darn annoying.

Some people actually like that level. I found it boring more than anything else.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Green_Incarnate

If they do this, hope the new maps come with it. Haven't got any of those yet.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Rhaknar

after i (finally?) played ODST last year, which i enjoyed, i thought to myself "i wouldnt mind a halo 1 and 2 with this engine just to have the whole saga on 1 console", so this is cool in my opinion. Then again i only play the single player in FPSs so i usually dont get the same fatigue most people do (same with the COD games)

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By keyhunter

I still prefer Halo 3.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By TheHBK

All I have to say is that I think the Halo engine sucks ass.  Sure it looks better but damn, do you see how stuff like Portal 2 looks or any other shooter?  There is just something about reach that looks so jagged and not smooth.

Avatar image for majesticoverlord
    MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MajesticOverlord

I'm just excited to be able to play through Combat Evolved again. 

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

So.. what... 

This seems silly.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By isomeri
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @isomeri said:

Microsoft doesn't comment on rumors or speculation, but the rumors of a Halo:CE remake have been continuous and coming from more and more credible sources. I was myself quite confident in these rumors before, but I have now talked to people who have seen the E3-trailer of this Halo remake and find myself being a bit outraged even before the announcement of said game. The HD-remake of Halo:CE is set for a November 2011 release, and will feature the original campaign apparently remastered with the Reach-engine. Continuing the legacy of Reach will be the multiplayer, which will feature both the persistent leveling-up system as well as equipment like the jetpack and bubble-shield. The multiplayer will also feature weapons which were not usable in Halo:CE, like the plasma-sword.

To me the most exiting thing about a Halo:CE remake was the idea of being able to play the game online with the original rule-set. Meaning no swords, no dual-wield and certainly no jetpacks. I really hope that there will be an option for the "original" rule-set in the multiplayer. The trailer did not show if these Reach-updates will be incorporated in the campaign.

I fully understand that I am certainly not a credible source, and you should not trust random forum posts on the internet for stuff like this. But even if you don't believe me, I'm interested in hearing what your reactions are to taking the HD-remake concept this far?

Nope. Its got its own maps. 
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By isomeri

@The_Laughing_Man: I don't think I was talking about the maps. Also, I told you so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.