Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Halo On Your Phone, Halo On Your PC, Halo Down Your Pants... Halo Everywhere!

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    This guy wants to check his stats, but all he has is an iPhone. Microsoft, help!
    This guy wants to check his stats, but all he has is an iPhone. Microsoft, help!
    Joystiq received a tip over the weekend about a Microsoftjob listing seeking the following individual:

Do you love Halo? Do online social communities and console video games excite you? Do you love building scalable online infrastructure & websites for large and passionate audiences? The Halo franchise studio is looking for a strong software development engineer with a passion for video games and online services. We have an ambitious task ahead, taking the current Halo community and online gaming support system and bringing it to the next level.

We're looking to blend console, web, and mobile to create an immersive Halo world that follows the dedicated Halo fan wherever they go. We need engineers that can build connected technology while working in a startup environment.

As an engineer on this team, your responsibility will be to deliver a great out-of-game interactive experience that takes the next step beyond the systems found in Halo 3. You will work with artists, designers, developers and testers to finalize design plans, implement those plans, and help coordinate large-scale testing of the out of game Live experience by gamers across the world. Your work also will involve several external teams-including other MGS studios and the Xbox Live team-coordinating development dependencies and design considerations of experience as a whole.

OK, so they want to create some sort of Halo World that connects Halo fans to the Halo universe on devices like mobile phones, which are somehow not yet Halo-enabled, or Xbox 360s, which are somehow not yet Web-enabled. What, exactly, does any of this mean? That's a bit harder to say. It could be a big upgrade of the Halo website stuff that Bungie has already done for Halo 2 and 3, with an eye toward bringing that content to mobile phones. Or maybe it's the start of something much bigger. The entry also states...
    For this year this position is focused on infrastructure, including high efficiency scalability simulation.
    So whatever it is, it's probably not going to launch this year. But if this were just an expansion of the current site that brought the stat tracking features to other platforms, wouldn't most of that work be done already? There are a few interesting bits in this job listing that make this sound like it could be a lot bigger than simply building a mobile version or Xbox-friendly version of the existing website. Stuff like "out of game Live experience" and "integrated mini-games" makes it sound like it could be anything from an a calendar to plan your clan matches (much like Killzone 2 has) to a full-on Halo-themed virtual world.

Of course, that's all just idle speculation on my part. But I guess it does lead me to a question. Are you at all interested in a overarching, multiplatform place to keep up to date with the universe of one series of games, even if that universe is one as popular as Halo? Or does the existing Halo site's stat tracking fill your needs?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Joystiq received a tip over the weekend about a Microsoftjob listing seeking the following individual:

Do you love Halo? Do online social communities and console video games excite you? Do you love building scalable online infrastructure & websites for large and passionate audiences? The Halo franchise studio is looking for a strong software development engineer with a passion for video games and online services. We have an ambitious task ahead, taking the current Halo community and online gaming support system and bringing it to the next level.

We're looking to blend console, web, and mobile to create an immersive Halo world that follows the dedicated Halo fan wherever they go. We need engineers that can build connected technology while working in a startup environment.

As an engineer on this team, your responsibility will be to deliver a great out-of-game interactive experience that takes the next step beyond the systems found in Halo 3. You will work with artists, designers, developers and testers to finalize design plans, implement those plans, and help coordinate large-scale testing of the out of game Live experience by gamers across the world. Your work also will involve several external teams-including other MGS studios and the Xbox Live team-coordinating development dependencies and design considerations of experience as a whole.

OK, so they want to create some sort of Halo World that connects Halo fans to the Halo universe on devices like mobile phones, which are somehow not yet Halo-enabled, or Xbox 360s, which are somehow not yet Web-enabled. What, exactly, does any of this mean? That's a bit harder to say. It could be a big upgrade of the Halo website stuff that Bungie has already done for Halo 2 and 3, with an eye toward bringing that content to mobile phones. Or maybe it's the start of something much bigger. The entry also states...
    For this year this position is focused on infrastructure, including high efficiency scalability simulation.
    So whatever it is, it's probably not going to launch this year. But if this were just an expansion of the current site that brought the stat tracking features to other platforms, wouldn't most of that work be done already? There are a few interesting bits in this job listing that make this sound like it could be a lot bigger than simply building a mobile version or Xbox-friendly version of the existing website. Stuff like "out of game Live experience" and "integrated mini-games" makes it sound like it could be anything from an a calendar to plan your clan matches (much like Killzone 2 has) to a full-on Halo-themed virtual world.

Of course, that's all just idle speculation on my part. But I guess it does lead me to a question. Are you at all interested in a overarching, multiplatform place to keep up to date with the universe of one series of games, even if that universe is one as popular as Halo? Or does the existing Halo site's stat tracking fill your needs?
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By stephengotlost

It's raining Halo!

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

"halo down your pants"

*snickers*

r3b3lr0b0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By r3b3lr0b0t

Sometimes I wish Halo didn't exist and then other times I think about how cool it would be cel-shaded.

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Superchris129

I'm fine with these spin-offs like Halo Wars, but don't try to milk this franchise...

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Cazamalos

halo kart, halo kart TOUCH,halo kart UNDERWEAR, SUPER HALO ADVENTURES, halo MMO, HALO HALO, i think jp were the only fools to have like 4 tittles of the same game,  ie "insert stupid name here" Mama

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's halo mania.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Somehow, all I can think about is the terrible ad on Xbox Live for the Mythic maps where still images move across the little square it fills.  It got me thinking how much better everything would be if all the cutscenes were like Dragonball: Evolution ones.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

Every morning, there's a Halo hanging from the corner of my girlfriend's four-post bed.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bfe6136a8a7
    deactivated-61bfe6136a8a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

show me where on this picture Master Chief touched you.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

It would be kinda weird to see Halo DS finally come out.

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Civraz

Cel-shaded Halo ftw

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

Halo on the Zune, you heard it here first.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By sixpin

I was half expecting the last question in that post to be: "Have you seen a spook, specter, or ghost?"

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By killdave

Its Xbox 360 "home" complete with dancing Spartans !

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By AURON570

halo is overrated

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

I've been playing Halo 3 all weekend and more Halo is a good thing.  Lots of people hate on the game but you can't deny how easy it is to have fun with it.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like Halo a lot but this is over doing it.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Jackel2072

Burn franchise BURN!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Sounds cool to me, It will be interesting to see what this turns into.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By RichardLOlson
    I'm hearing a lot about this halo kart...is this for real or a joke?
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PercyChuggs

People really need to cut the crap with all this iPhone and mobile gaming business. Nothing puts me to sleep quicker during a podcast than talk about mobile and iPhone games.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By borgmaster

it probably actually is a way to get Halo in your pants, it'll add a whole new dimension to teabagging.......I honestly have no idea what i just wrote or why it creeps me out....

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By irishjohn

I think it would be awesome, but awesome for how long?  I'm not sure it would really cause me to play the game any longer.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Is Halo even relevant anymore? What, with games like COD4 outclassing it in longevity and quality of solo campaign?

How about a world that is based off of THE WHO!?! That'd be awesome.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Crono

Uhhh... what's halo?

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By ddensel

Halo the luchbox! Halo the breakfast cereal! HALO THE FLAMETHROWER!!!

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

The title just made me laugh.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Pants... I want halo in them...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
    LiveOrDie1212 said:
    ""halo down your pants" *snickers*"
    =P
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By Crono

ddensel say:

...Halo the breakfast cereal!

No Caption Provided

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Really...

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By MeatSim

Lets milk this mutha for all it's worth!!!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

This is the precursor to the secret Halo MMO with "Live Anywhere" applications.  Need to know how much to vendor your used Mjolnir armor?  Want to check if anyone's bought your polished brute skulls?  Want to know if your clan is doing an Unyielding Hierophant run tonight?  Check it all out from the ease of your mobile phone.  Halo...the only game you'll ever need...ever.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By Hector

All Hail to the Chief!

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By Aaron_G

Microsoft is going to milk all it can out of Halo.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I truly love Jeff’s sense of humor. 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Is Halo even relevant anymore? What, with games like COD4 outclassing it in longevity and quality of solo campaign?
    hahaha what?
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Media_Master

no thanks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.