Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Why do you enjoy Halo? (A question for Halo fans)

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godites

I'm not a Halo hater, nor am I a member of the "Halo is overrated" camp. I just can't get into the series, but virtually have nothing against it. Ever since Halo 3 was released, the Halo contains the most polarizing opinions, than any other popular or critically acclaim game and game franchise out there. Even amongst the fanbase, there's a bit of a breaker base in opinions, especially regarding the single-player and storytelling of each game in the series. Despite it's large fanbase, it has a large group of people who hate it and people who just think it's overrated. It gets as much backlash, as much as it gets praise. So the Halo series has been controversial among the gaming community in this regard, while I have been neutral towards this series as I couldn't get into it and haven't played enough the games to begin with.

Despite all of that, I can't say that I know the exact reasons why people like Halo. I like to understand it's appeal by asking the fans this question: What makes the Halo series so great for you? What does it do to make it enjoyable for you?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

CTF on Warsong Gulch. Why the heck did I pay full price for that game when all the fun was to be had in the demo?

stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stringbacon

Interesting universe, great music, a developer that responds to fan feedback, and multiplayer that requires more than twitch aiming.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

1: It doesn't make me dizzy/motion sick 
    2: I love building my own maps 
    3: I love the vehicles in the game 
    4: I like the controls in the game, they just function well for me 
    5: I think the maps and perks are great 
    6: I've always like the "shield" in the game, that gives you a chance to respond to being shot  
    7: I like that the game has never just had grey and brown in it, but more colors 
    8: Music 
    9: Bungie has great feedback and fan support 
    10: The "openess" to level design in campaign missions 
    11: I've always enjoyed the world. 
    12: The goofiness/seriousness mix of weapons 
    13: Melee weapons.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

If it's not for you then it's not for you. Everyone has different tastes and it boggles the mind that people can't grasp this concept.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

Originally because it was the best looking thing ever thanks to bumpmapping, the Warthog physics, the way the grenades handled, and the AI. Also the enemy and weapon variety and "combat puzzle" and of course the sheer size of the environments.  Then there was Blood Gulch AKA coagulation. Probably as good as facing worlds if not better.

Plus like people have stated before, the multiplayer is very tactical and you can't win just by unloading a few rounds into someones kneecaps. Also one of the first games I ever played that had a melee and grenade button. Previous shooters made you switch to those before you could use them. Making them fucking useless most of the time.

The partical effects in the halo series have always been really good too. And shit is always full on bananas and shit is usually exploding all over the place at all times. The framerate stays playable at the most chaotic of times and I'd call that important. That's off the top of my head. I could go on forever about why halo is so great.

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Godites
    @Afroman269 said:
    " If it's not for you then it's not for you. Everyone has different tastes and it boggles the mind that people can't grasp this concept. "
    Look, I know. I'm not trying to be smarmy, condescending, or rude with this question. It may seem that way, because one, we can't be clear the tone in which the question is being asked on the internet most of the time, and 2, the series receives a lot of negative feedback on the internet. I'm just curious, and I like to know it's appeal. I admit that it gets a lot of undeserved flak from many people though. I rarely hear people give reasons to their disdain or their disliking to the franchise. I'm not saying all haters and dislike have no legitimate reason, but it seems that most don't.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

The thing that I think Bungie does really well and that always hits me when I play a new Halo game is how they balance smoothness and weight - if that makes any sense.

I'm not a crazy fan, I usually get bored of it after a while and move on until a new one comes out, but something about the way they do it just feels good to me.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Afroman269
    @Godites: I'm not saying that you are being smartass or whatever. I'm merely stating that people have different tastes. Many people like COD but I on the other hand don't give two shits for that game anymore because the multiplayer doesn't attract me at all like it used to. People have already given their reason as to why they like Halo and if you don't think they are interesting reasons then that's your right because you're a different person.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skytylz

Balanced multiplayer and the custom multiplayer games that no other console game can even come close too.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Hairy_Fish

The moments where the music and gameplay sync up perfectly. The laid back multiplayer that can be majorly enjoyed with friends.

Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ktargo
    @stringbacon said:

" Interesting universe, great music, a developer that responds to fan feedback, and multiplayer that requires more than twitch aiming. "

I think he nailed it. The fiction is fun to follow even if the narrative of the games isn't always the best. One of the few remaining first-person shooters that can still carry a story without just being an action movie plot. The music is superb, one of the best parts of playing through the campaign is how well integrated the music is. You can always count on it to help establish the appropriate atmosphere.  

Bungie is an amazing developer that supports their games for years and years with constant updates. Definitely not TF2-Valve update friendly, but playlists are constantly being varied and added, games being balanced, and new maps are coming out fairly often some of which are free. I may not play the game faithfully, but I can come back every few months and can guarantee there will be new stuff for me to do. Not to mention the infinite possibilities with the creation tools, to make your own games, maps, films, and share them with anybody. The feel of the multiplayer is quite unique. You see a lot of quick death - quick respawn modern military shooters on the market now (which is fine, they can be well made and fun too) so it can be rejuvenating for a change of pace every so often. There is a little bit of a strategical edge in it, knowing what counters what, knowing the weapons and layout of each map,  what is best for each different gametype, and the addition of armor abilities. I'm not gonna sit here and claim Halo is anything close to a strategy game, because it obviously isn't, but its less about "point gun at guy and first one to pull the trigger probably wins."    
    Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Godites
    @Afroman269 said:
    " @Godites: I'm not saying that you are being smartass or whatever. I'm merely stating that people have different tastes. Many people like COD but I on the other hand don't give two shits for that game anymore because the multiplayer doesn't attract me at all like it used to. People have already given their reason as to why they like Halo and if you don't think they are interesting reasons then that's your right because you're a different person. "
    I'm perfectly aware that everyone share different view points. As a COD fan (Apart from MW2, COD3, and any of the PS2 versions), I don't mind people disliking or not caring for the series. However, opinions are nothing if people don't have a legitimate reason to their opinion, or if their "opinion" are nothing of insults. I just like to know the reasons for their likings. I never knew why Halo liked Halo, so I made this thread to see why. I feel that Halo fans don't get much of a saying to their liking of the franchise, as much as I've seen people bashing it.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By FreakAche

It's the best split-screen game on current-gen consoles. The campaigns are usually pretty good too.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @stringbacon said:
    " Interesting universe, great music, a developer that responds to fan feedback, and multiplayer that requires more than twitch aiming. "
    yup

and some of the best multiplayer out there (online, co-op, etc.)
    TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TBird13

It's fun.  

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godites
    @TBird13 said:
    " It's fun.   "
    The question is, why is it fun? You really don't have to answer this question, as everyone else already has.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By buzz_clik
    @stringbacon said:
    Oh, look! Here's something that somebody else typed for me earlier. Cheers, stringbacon!

"Interesting" is the right word for it, too - it's not a "fascinating" universe to me (like, say, Mass Effect is) but it's incredibly fleshed out and has some great characters.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo has that Perfect Dark/Timesplitters feel to me, which means good stuff.

The modes are robust, the weapons are all great (especially in Reach the balance feels near perfect) and the singleplayer is always a real blast to experience.
    Also, the recent addition of Firefight in ODST and Reach has only made me love Halo more, the game just feels so good that you can keep playing Firefight and always have fun doing it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Diamond

It's the weapons, which have some interesting effects.  They aren't just all hitscan, and some do crazy things.
    It's the vehicles in both single player and multiplayer.  Again, they're varied and some are just crazy.
    It's the enemy AI, which is good enough really.
    It's the music which is often awesome.
    It's the sci fi theme, which doesn't try to be edgy cool like so many games today.
    It's the level design, which is better than most FPS today.

Those are the big things for me, I think.

Oh, and the recharging health actually makes sense in this one, because it's shields.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By dagas

Halo: CE was the first FPS that was any good on consoles. I bought an XBOX, Halo and an extra controller and went directly into co-op campaign and it was a completely new experience. Sure I had played some Q3A online, but I had never played a co-op FPS game. It was like Ikari Warriors (played a lot of that in co-op on the NES) all over again, but better. 

I think the enemies are fun to play against because the elites require some strategy since they have shields. Also the AI was much better than anything else at the time. I liked the weapons, the slower pacing compared to PC FPS games, the music, the atmosphere and Cortana. I just fell in love with it and since then I've enjoyed it, but it's never been like Halo: CE ever again. Next to Half-Life 2 it's the best FPS game ever IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.