Ads vs Reality!

#1 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

#2 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -

That's actually kind of sad when you look at it that way... I wonder how long they spend making those display burgers look so perfect?

#3 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

Sausage McMuffin and Filet o Fish look pretty similar.
This makes me want to quit fast food =/

Rodeo Cheeseburger all the way, though. BBQ sauce is beer goggles for burgers.

#4 Posted by Alec (3 posts) -

oh god..
One of  the many reasons i stopped eating fast foods.

#5 Posted by Steve_C (1757 posts) -

This reminds me of a great scene from 'Falling Down'.

The last minute is the particular part, but the whole scene - and movie for that matter - is brilliant.
#6 Edited by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

Lol, Epic Failure. I notice that stuff with easy to cook meals too, well practically everything you buy at the grocery store.

#7 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

A lot of them look like someone just sat on the food that's in the picture on the left.

#8 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1549 posts) -
#9 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Steve_C said:
" This reminds me of a great scene from 'Falling Down'.

The last minute is the particular part, but the whole scene - and movie for that matter - is brilliant. "
That was the first thing I thought of. I really enjoyed that film but that scene particularly because that actually happened to me one time when I got refused a breakfast about 2 minutes too late. Shame I never had a bag of stolen guns with me.
#10 Posted by RelentlessKnight (965 posts) -

Of course, they would look differently. If they look exactly like real food then no one would buy it.

#11 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

The second one looks like dirt. So nasty.

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I remember reading about the stuff they did in fast food ads in Zillions (Consumer Reports for Kids) back in the 90's.

#13 Posted by PercyChuggs (1087 posts) -

I always wonder why people are surprised their food doesn't look like it does in the ad. Are they that stupid to believe it will?

#14 Posted by papercut (3557 posts) -

who ever takes those photos must be rich

#15 Posted by FrEeZe (301 posts) -

It's ironic because the food on the left looks perfect and tastier, but it's just a picture. Not only has it been worked on digitally but the food itself is altered soley for visual purposes.
Truth of the matter is that the food on right is the one that tastes better.

And honestly what kind of society are you apart that you don't eat food because it's ugly?

#16 Posted by Matt_ (337 posts) -

Am I a bad person if those pictures made me hungry? None of that's news to me so I settle for a sloppy cheese burger.

#17 Posted by Cloneslayer (1645 posts) -

they still taste good so I dont really care.

#18 Posted by KillaMaStA (859 posts) -

Luckily im not in america so they still make quality food here.

Im always amazed at how terrible american fast food looks like, I mean really, do they try to make them badly or what?

The stuff ive gotten from Mcdonalds here looks exactly like the picture on the left....

#19 Posted by GioVANNI (1293 posts) -

Egg Mc Muffin is still pimp.

#20 Posted by Kohe321 (3533 posts) -

What the food looks like is not that important anyways when you're only going to look at it for like 5 seconds.

#21 Posted by Gamer_152 (14112 posts) -

Wow, some of those really aren't looking so great. However I live in the UK and I've found that the McDonalds and Burger King outlets over here serve in general pretty well presented burgers.

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

to be fair you see this everywhere. action figures look incredibly detailed in pictures and then the boxed ones have half the detail. videogame pictures are usually doctored or rendered at a resolution you wont have. its just marketting

#23 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

...and that's why I am a vegetarian.

#24 Posted by conantheking (52 posts) -

This is what I like about Subway. It generally does look like it is meant to, they don't need to fake reality especially considering they are generous with the fresh salad options to go in the sandwich.

#25 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

Interesting. But I still like eating those hamburgers.

#26 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

Man, now I'm hungry.

#27 Posted by DannyJ (445 posts) -

Where the hell did they get that Arby's sandwich from? I know they dont always look good, but Ive never seen one that terrible

#28 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

That subway one does not seem right, When I order at subway, it looks almost exactly like the poster o.O

#29 Posted by lordofultima (6286 posts) -

Mashed potato bowl looks and IS more delicious than display picture. Just seeing that melted cheese, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

#30 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: I lol'd looking at the pictures. The pictures on the right look gross.
#31 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

You mean fast food products don't always appear as advertised?!

#32 Posted by GiantBomber (352 posts) -

lol awesome comparison man. similar to magazines...

#33 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

this thread could have just start a depression
#34 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

The filet of fish is the closest. It's so true though. Great thread.

#35 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

Yeah, real life sucks. 

#36 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

I didn't know Wendy's Chicken Club cheese was actually semen.

#37 Edited by momentarylogic (416 posts) -

I have to disagree, I had wendy's food that looked like the picture. Not every time, but often.  

McD's is the worst, but I haven't been there in almost 2 years. It's really rare, but burger king will also oddly look like advertisement burgers. The whopper being the most frequient.
#38 Posted by ez123 (1997 posts) -

Jack in the Box stuff is pretty much the same as the commercial.

I haven't seen Arby's commercials recently but if the meat doesn't look like shit, that's a lie.

#39 Posted by SomeGuy (31 posts) -

One time I had a Quater Pounder and it actually looked like the picture. Once.  Needless to say, that was a pretty great day.
#40 Posted by Andorski (5367 posts) -

Round Table Pizza is a horrible offender of this issue.  They once had this pizza special where they used meatballs as the main topping.  I'm talking about gigantic meatballs too.  My friends and I bought one right when we saw the commercial and were thoroughly disappointed.  The "meatballs" they used were barely bigger than the sausage topping pizzas.

#41 Edited by Shadow (4988 posts) -

In almost every case, the real one looks far more appitizing, merely because the fake ones look like they would taste plasticey (that's a word now, by the way) 
#42 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

I knew a guy who worked for  food advertising.  
Most of those aren't real.  
Amazing work done by great artists that goes unnoticed. 

#43 Posted by Blackout62 (1410 posts) -

Food in ads goes through a thorough process to make it more appealing, not unlike adult photography. What basically happens is an edible piece of food is sprayed with a lot of inedible things then perfectly lit and angled.

#44 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Regardless of looks, the Wendy's Chick Club, KFC's Bowls, and Arby's Beef and Cheddar are awesome.

#45 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

In Japan, any time I ate fast food it looked just like the way it did in the ads. Perfect to the sesame seed.

It was a bit unnerving to be honest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.