Garlic Butter...

#1 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

Okay i'm sure i'll get some hate mail for this one. 

I've recently started experimenting, cooking steaks in garlic butter, it works well! 
Of course the next step is a good ol' hamburger, which i promptly did with a high quality burger made by my old man. 

Damn it's good, i very much reccomend it if you like garlic, i'm hooked on this stuff for the moment, maybe i'm pregnant. 

Anyone else do this? or perhaps cook their burgers in something else that isn't quite 'normal'?

#2 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Sadly, I'm stuck with very little to actually do my experimental cooking with, but that DOES sound delicious.  I think various compound butters are great for adding a new edge to ordinary dishes, and that burger sure sounds good. 
Personally, I whip together a compound butter with garlic powder and parmesan cheese that I fry my grilled cheese in on occasion.  Wonder how that'd translate to a burger.

#3 Edited by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@ImperiousRix: Damn that sounds good...it's nearly 2AM here in london and you're making me want to go down to my kitchen and try that.
#4 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
"@ImperiousRix: Damn that sounds good...it's nearly 2AM here in london and you're making me want to go down to my kitchen and try that. "
The cheese makes a nice crust on the bread, although I'm afraid it might burn during the long cook-time of a burger.  I'm sure it could be added later, though, to a similar effect.
#5 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

When I cook any sort of meat with butter, I often find that it coats too much of the flavor....

Or maybe because I usually use sake or some other type of wine to marinate my meat 
Along with some spices, of course

Also, I usually cook it raw
If that makes a difference 

#6 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

Sake-burger? you pick that up in Japan or something? 

i've never tried Sake, i'm a tea-totaller but i should try that some time.

#7 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -

I'm not gonna lie...I find garlic butter to be the most off putting thing on our planet earth

#8 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Garlic butter is one of those things that seems like a great idea at the time but when you stink for hours after, you regret using it.

#9 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" Sake-burger? you pick that up in Japan or something?  i've never tried Sake, i'm a tea-totaller but i should try that some time. "
Yea, I learned from my mom 

I'm not a heavy drinker 
But I find that I use a lot of alcohol when I cook
 Nicely compliments a lot of foods :D
#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14053 posts) -

I like garlic butter and it sounds pretty good as long as it doesn't mask the flavour of the burger too much.

#11 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Is it weird that I read this topic title as "Gerard Butler"?

#12 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
@EvilTwin: No.
#13 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Garlic butter is one of those things that seems like a great idea at the time but when you stink for hours after, you regret using it. "
good point, it's worth noting that i'm single :p 

@EvilTwin said:
" Is it weird that I read this topic title as "Gerard Butler"? "
absolutely not, in the hamburger forum, ANYTHING is possible.
#14 Posted by JohnRehill (220 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Garlic butter is one of those things that seems like a great idea at the time but when you stink for hours after, you regret using it. "
I couldn't agree more. Garlic butter sounds like a delicious idea, then you use it and it's... well not as good.
#15 Posted by HatKing (5832 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
"Is it weird that I read this topic title as "Gerard Butler"? "

Hahah I totally did that too.   

Also I think this sounds pretty good.  If I didn't care about my health I'd consider making that right now, the whole eating late at night thing.  Perhaps I'll make it for lunch tomorrow.
#16 Posted by roscoe (145 posts) -

you cooked it in a pan with garlic butter? or you topped it with garlic butter? if you topped it with it add a little bit of lemon juice and sun dried tomato to the butter and it compliments the burger nicely

#17 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

It's fine, but I would recommend that you roast the garlic first to take the edge off it and add natural sweetness to it.

Take a big sprig of Garlic still within it's skin, slice the top off so that all the cloves are cut into and exposed. Then sprinkle with a little sea salt on top (it draws the natural glucose sugars out when it roasts) , and pour a good amount of olive oil on top. Let the oil oil seep into all the crevices, rub the oil in with a thumb if you have to. Wash your hands and place the sprig wrapped in  foil in a 200 oven for 45mins - 1 hour, depending on whether it's fan assisted.   

When it's done, the garlic will be soft and sweet, it will squeeze out like butter and smell wonderful. You should use a spoon to squeeze it out into a small dish, removing all the skin in the process. Warm unsalted butter in a skillet pan very gently, using a scissor, cut chives into the pan, let them warm and release their flavou,r and do not let the butter burn (very low heat), keep coating the chives butter using a spoon and add a little salt. Now add your roasted Garlic paste, make sure the pan is on low heat and let the garlic melt into the butter very gently, Use a wooden spoon help it to combine. When it has done fully, pour into small ramekin and leave to cool at room temp, before placing in the fridge.  

It will keep for as long as amonth if sealed well and kept in the freezer.

#18 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@JohnRehill said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

I couldn't agree more. Garlic butter sounds like a delicious idea, then you use it and it's... well not as good. "

That's because people don't do the above like the French and Italians do, they use raw undercooked garlic which is too overpowering and not moreish.
#19 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

I don't go all the way like Linkyshrinks does, but I've experimented with roasting some garlic before adding it to the pan, as to give the slice of meat (usually steak, but I'll try ground beef sometime) an extra kick.  It's worked for me, definitely.

#20 Posted by Tomarlyn (146 posts) -

Garlic, onion and herbs fit perfectly into the mix.

#21 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Thanks for the idea, will try it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.