Hamburger Review: KFC's Double Down Sandwich

Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

Here it is, the official review thread for the Double Down sandwich, I gave it 5/5 stars. What would my fellow bombers give it?(I know some of you have tried it.)  
EDIT: As always, thank you to buzz_clik for the sweet image at the intro.

#1 Edited by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

Here it is, the official review thread for the Double Down sandwich, I gave it 5/5 stars. What would my fellow bombers give it?(I know some of you have tried it.)  
EDIT: As always, thank you to buzz_clik for the sweet image at the intro.

#2 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

I would also give it a 5/5 stars. Looks nasty, tastes really good though.

#3 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

Would you still call it a sandwich even though it doesn't have bread?

#4 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
@InfiniteGeass said:
" Would you still call it a sandwich even though it doesn't have bread? "
oh shi-
#5 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" @InfiniteGeass said:
oh shi- "
Oh shit is right.  I don't know what to call it.
#6 Posted by Smokay (525 posts) -

I believe its not available in Canada so ill never have to opportunity to eat this wonderful grease filled monstrocity

#7 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

Oh man, you don't know how stoked I am to try this!

#8 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @InfiniteGeass said:
oh shi- "
Oh shit is right.  I don't know what to call it. "
That's exactly how I feel about it. Anyway we could call it a durgwich in celebration of the durger, or we could avoid that all together.
#9 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
@Brunchies said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @InfiniteGeass said:
oh shi- "
That's exactly how I feel about it. Anyway we could call it a durgwich in celebration of the durger, or we could avoid that all together. "
but a durger involves hotdogs
#10 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

I have to get me one

#11 Posted by Dalai (6996 posts) -

A TurboMan review of the Double Down Sandwich... totally expecting this.

#12 Posted by DJbruce92 (129 posts) -

I haven't been to KFC in ages. Also I live in the uk so I don't know if they sell them here.

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I give it a 4.5/5, as it's amazing, but I don't thing it gives a good bang for your buck, as you can get much more food for the price it is elsewhere.  That said, it was a truly great sandwich.

#14 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -
@InfiniteGeass said:
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
#15 Edited by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

i live right near where mgmt was started

#16 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -
@kishan6: That's fantastically irrelevant!
#17 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

I got one, it was surprising good.

#18 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" @Brunchies said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @InfiniteGeass said:
oh shi- "
That's exactly how I feel about it. Anyway we could call it a durgwich in celebration of the durger, or we could avoid that all together. "
but a durger involves hotdogs "
I truthfully have no idea what to call it so uncreative points went to that name. 
#19 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -
@Mmmslash: (I used MGMT in my vid)
#20 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -
@TurboMan:  You caught me, I didn't watch the video!
#21 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -
@TurboMan:
I must have this delicious sandwich(?). Also the Management is awesome, they've changed so much over time.
#22 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Too bad it isn't available in Canada, I would love to try one

#23 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

That looks like the unhealthiest thing ever. lol

#24 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

Bojangles is fucking terrible

#25 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @kishan6: That's fantastically irrelevant! "
while it may be irrelevant the song was in thevideo and he said that mgmt rox soooooooooo it isnt THAT irrelevant
#26 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

So is it a sandwich?

#27 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I just tried it a little bit ago. I can't say I was a fan. 2/5. Too greasy and hard to eat, and the taste itself was somewhat bland compared to what I was expecting. I wish they would have just used big pieces of popcorn chicken instead of the greasy crap they did. 

#28 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -
@AgentJ: well, they released the boneless pieces of chicken about a month or two ago. This sandwich is just them using their resources(who knows, maybe nobody was buying the boneless, and they're just getting rid of what tthey have). I don't go to KFC often(Bojangles is better), but if I'm forced to, they're popcorn chicken is delicious as is, they don't need to make it bigger. They probably should make the portions smaller IMO... but that's another topic all together.
#29 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@TurboMan said:
" @InfiniteGeass said:
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU "
Of course it's still a sandwich.  It has stuff SANDWICH'd between two pieces of chicken.  An ice cream sandwich is still a sandwich despite being bread-less. 
That's my two cents. 
And good review as always ChurboMan.
#30 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -
@ImperiousRix: ChurboMan? 

And I've had a long discussion about sandwich's before, and ice cream sandwich is definitely a sandwich. But the main substance in that is the ice cream, which is sandwiched by the two chocolate pieces. What's different in the double down is that the main substance is the thing that is sandwiching the other ingredients, which is just the bacon and cheese. So is that still called a sandwich?
#31 Posted by fuzzy510 (206 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:
" @TurboMan said:
" @InfiniteGeass said:
Of course it's still a sandwich.  It has stuff SANDWICH'd between two pieces of chicken.  An ice cream sandwich is still a sandwich despite being bread-less. That's my two cents. And good review as always ChurboMan. "

@ImperiousRix: Yes, but while it has no bread, it makes up for it by having two chocolate wafer cookies as the "bread", so it still has baked goods there.  Fried chicken breasts are delicious, but not baked goods.
#32 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

Maybe I'll buy that, and then also get my own bun and have a huge sandwich. That sounds like it would be tasty.

#33 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
"Maybe I'll buy that, and then also get my own bun and have a huge sandwich. That sounds like it would be tasty. "

ARGH! Genius! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Effectively you could get 2 sandwiches out of it! Or maybe 3...hmm
#34 Edited by bhhawks78 (1202 posts) -

All I know is that it's 540 calories so the media hoopla is silly, the reason people are obese isn't this sandwhich.  It's because they would order 2 with fries and a giant cola. 

If they separated the chicken pieces, added buns, they would be like 900 calories combined and noone would say a fucking word.

#35 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -
@Shirogane: make it a big mac style of sandwich, 3 buns.
#36 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Tried it...it's not horrible. 

I dunno. The chicken itself was crunchy & tasty, everything else felt like salty goop in between. I felt like I ate about a whole bucket of chicken after I consumed everything, so I guess it did what it was supposed to. But it's probably less effort to just get a 2 piece meal at KFC.

#37 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4884 posts) -

Eh, I thought it was okay. Maybe it was due to the fact that I didn't eat it for about 40 minutes after I got it. I'll give it another shot and make sure to eat fresh right away next time. 

3/5

#38 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

It looks truly horrifying, but I'll probably try one eventually.

#39 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

These burger reviews are amazing.

'Nuff said.

#40 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@fuzzy510 said:
" @ImperiousRix said:
" @TurboMan said:
" @InfiniteGeass said:
Of course it's still a sandwich.  It has stuff SANDWICH'd between two pieces of chicken.  An ice cream sandwich is still a sandwich despite being bread-less. That's my two cents. And good review as always ChurboMan. "

@ImperiousRix: Yes, but while it has no bread, it makes up for it by having two chocolate wafer cookies as the "bread", so it still has baked goods there.  Fried chicken breasts are delicious, but not baked goods. "
I can see what you dudes are saying, but I don't know if a sandwich is technically defined by its filling in every instance.  For example, a burger featuring ciabatta bread is often referred to as a ciabatta burger; in this case the burger's identity is defined by its bread.  This is also the case with a sourdough burger/sandwich.  Therefore, I propose this could be referred to as a bacon and cheese sandwich which substitutes chicken breasts for the bread.  
Now I'm hungry.
#41 Posted by Raspinudo (265 posts) -

i must try this new fangled sandwhich thing

#42 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

Any ideas for the next addition? I've got one burger on my mind, willing to expand on that list.

#43 Posted by TheDuke (231 posts) -

now if only it was bigger

#44 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Sorry, Popeye's is not crap, it's the best of it's kind. Excuse me while I swear at you... 

FUCKER!

Okay, sorry. You do understand though... right? That I'm correct and you're incorrect? Okay.

#45 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -
@Vinchenzo: Have you ever had the pleasure of trying out a Bojangles?
#46 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
@TurboMan: I live in Illinois, I don't think we have those.
#47 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -
@Vinchenzo: they're only in the south(the bible belt)... and they have the best fried chicken and biscuits.... be sure to check it out if you have the pleasure.
#48 Posted by buzz_clik (6913 posts) -

FYI, my good man - clickety.

See that image there? I want to have its greasy little babies.

#49 Posted by theragu40 (39 posts) -

I tried the DD...I'll never order it again.  A sloppy, slimy, shitty pile of a sandwich.  The chicken breasts taste awesome, but I wished it had just been the chicken.  The cheese and glop all over the place ruined the chicken for me.

#50 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -
@InfiniteGeass said:
It's a new age avant garde sandwich.  It takes old conventions and brings them into the 21st century by completing shattering them and rebuilding it as it sees fit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.