Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hamburger

Object » linked to 362 games

A hamburger is a hunk of ground beef served between two pieces of bun-configured bread. Hamburgers are often served with a variety of toppings and condiments. It is named for the region in which it was invented, not for the kind of meat (as is often mistakenly suggested).

My review of the McDonald's Angus Third Pounder (Deluxe)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

I decided to try something new during one of my rare visits to McDonalds, I went for one of their new Angus Thrid Pounders, My options were mushroom and swiss (BackGround), Bacon and cheese (Middleground), or Deluxe (A normal burger, as seen in the foreground of the above image) I chose Deluxe. First off, its really not clear that you even have options for choosing your thrid pounder, the advertising for the burger at the drive thru really isn't clear. I initially ordered just a third pounder but then was asked what type i wanted, stunned by choices, I went for the easy option, the deluxe, which is more like the normal burgers I order. The person behind me had the same exact issue as I pulled up, and didn't realize there were options. I appreciate the McDonald's has been trying to reinvent its advertising, but it shouldn't be done at the expense of convenience.

First off, what is it?.

I cant speak for the other two burgers as I have not had them, but the Deluxe is Mayo, Tomato, Lettuce,Onion, Pickles, Burger patty and Cheese. The onion is sliced rather than diced which I appreciate, giving it a much fresher taste and better crunch, I love burgers with mayo and the pickles are much crisper than im used to. All and all the toppings are much fresher and better prepared. 

The patty is where the big difference is, not only is it much thicker and larger than a standard burger patty, it is also made of much more flavorful beef, hence the "Angus". The meat is not as compressed as in standard burgers, which is good for eating but makes the patty crumble more during consumption. It is a definite departure from standard McDonald's Burger faire.  But more on that later.

Packaging.

I must admit the container was a bit of a surprise. It was larger than the standard cardboard box you receive, It had flaps that would be pulled down on the sides to allow the server to mark what type of burger it was. However, they were rather large flaps, so what ended up happening is the person at the window pulled down the section for "Deluxe' and "Special" and opened up a good half inch hole in the box. This compromised the sturdiness of the box, making removal from the bag far from ideal. 

Upon opening the box, you are met with the burger covered in a wax paper sleeve, im not sure why it was put in the box like that, i only assume to help it hold together, but it added yet another barrier between you and your food, and added to the garbage that you must deal with. The Burger was arranged in a much nicer fashion than usual, all and all the burger looked good. If That burger was put on a plate at say an Applebee's or other Franchised Bar/Grill establishment, i wouldn't be put off, it looked alot better than what you would expect out of a fast food joint. It certainly wasn't as nice as the picture above, but it was by no means hard to look at either. 

Eating the burger.

I was surprised by how poorly the burger held together relative to most burgers from McDonald's, as I prepared to take my first bite, It certainly isn't a burger for eating one handed. The patty as i said before is not as tightly packed as normal, adding to the flavor but also causing it to fracture after each bite.  This combined with much larger chunks of toppings and large amounts of condiments, make it fairly messy.  The bun is especially not structurally sound, making it unreliable if not handled correctly. (Unless you eat burgers upside down like a crazy person)

The flavors of the toppings themselves didn't stand out as loudly as normal. This is by no means a bad thing, most fast Food burgers taste (To me anyways) like cheese covered meat followed, by flavor spikes of tangy ketchup and sweet/bitter onions. In the Third Pounder, the flavors could easily be identified but weren't overpowering. They blended more than stood out, which I enjoyed.  The mayo was the only issue, although tasty, it wasn't distributed evenly throughout the burger, making pockets of intense mayo flavor that hurt the overall flavor of the rest of the burger. This is mis-distirbution is common in fast food, but it still was an upset after all the improvements that had seemingly been made to this burger over your normal cheeseburger. 

The patty was very good, the meat really gave it's own kick to the rest of the burger. Of all the flavors in the burger it was by far the best. But the size of the patty caused the pace of eating to slow significantly, this is not a burger you can wolf down. You need to put alot of effort in to get what you want out of it, but its usually worth it. Each Bite needs to be carefully positioned and timed. 

In Conclusion

The Angus Third Pounders  Are certainly worth a shot. They are part of McDonald's attempt at making more restaurant quality food, and for the most part they succeed at making that happen. But it still walks an awkward middle line between fast food and Real Food. It lacks the convenience of fast food in handling, and the handcrafted quality of restaurant food. But it has some great flavors, and is worth a purchase, so long as your not in too much of a hurry. 

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By landon

Looks good. Might have to pick one up.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

are u guys comfortable with saying "third pounder" and shit to name the burgers ?  i just dont get it its stupid :S its goddamn burgers 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I tried the mushroom and swiss, thought it was okay. Every time I see Angus, I think Anus. I would like the Anus Burger, please.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Marcsman

They are part of McDonald's attempt at making more restaurant quality food 

Lost me there. They will always be awful
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By fjordson

Damn, nice review. This made me really hungry, which means I'll probably be trying one today.

Do you remember how much it was?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikemcn
    @Fjordson said:
    " Damn, nice review. This made me really hungry, which means I'll probably be trying one today.  Do you remember how much it was? "
    3.99 for the meal I believe.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Claude said:
    " I tried the mushroom and swiss, thought it was okay. Every time I see Angus, I think Anus. I would like the Anus Burger, please. "
    Before I had even heard the word Angus I saw it advertised on a sign in town and when I drove by it I was like "ANUS BURGER...WTF?" I turned around to say the least and was disappointed, I didn't want one but if it had been real oh man....damn right I would have bought one.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Are these in canada too? I was going to pick up a filet of fish and fries as usual, however the swiss burger looks mighty tasty.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikemcn
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Are these in canada too? I was going to pick up a filet of fish and fries as usual, however the swiss burger looks mighty tasty.

"
    I have no idea, I dont see why not, I'd be curious to find out though. If not, FIlet o'fish is always a good choice.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Cube

Ew, fast food. 

scotty_gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By scotty_gun

You should gives us an update on how it came out in the end.  A good food review doesn't overlook this important detail.
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scotty_Gun said:
    " You should gives us an update on how it came out in the end.  A good food review doesn't overlook this important detail. "
    ...and please provide a picture
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lockwoodx

The one I had was abysmal. Tasted like they emptied a whole bottle of salt onto the entire burger. I will never eat an angus from Mc'Ds again ,

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JaredA

I hate you. This made me want to eat McDonald's.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mikemcn
    @Leon592 said:
    " I hate you. This made me want to eat McDonald's. "
    So did you?
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ZmillA

great review

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehexeditor

Now I feel like chewing on a salad like a farm animal :x

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tomance

I do like the angus burgers.  I'd prefer to get one of them over a normal burger from there.  I think it does well being a more than fast food, less than restaurant burger.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JaredA
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Leon592 said:
    " I hate you. This made me want to eat McDonald's. "
    So did you? "  

Unfortunately, no:( But next time I go I am getting this burger!
    Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mmmm meat

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Wow, 4/5 for a McDonald's product? I may have to give this a try...

azhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By azhang

The burgers are alright.

hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hai2u

i've tried the swiss and the bacon one, good quality for fast food, probably the only thing worth getting at mcd.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BionicMonster

I love this website.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @BionicMonster said:
    " I love this website. "
    I know, right? Fun AND food!
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss

I haven't had the third pounder but I gotta say the first time I got a McDonald's Angus burger I was quite surprised. It was the first time that I could remember where the burger I was eating, looked almost exactly the same as the picture I ordered it from.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karl_Boss

I wasn't very impressed by the Angus Burger

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Hector

I love my Mcdonald's angus, it has replaced the Big Mac for me.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By tebbit

The Angus Third Pounder... seriously? 

That's an awful name. 

In New Zealand, it's called the Mighty Angus and the Grand Angus. Granted, that's not much better, but come on. 3rd Pounder? 

Also, our ones look nicer! 

Relish, Mayo, red onions, bacon... some kind of mutant bun. Delicious!
    Relish, Mayo, red onions, bacon... some kind of mutant bun. Delicious!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.