When is a hamburger no longer a hamburger?

#1 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

I was a discussion amongst friends about when is a hamburger, a hamburger. We agreed that it was critical to the hamburger state that it remained covered in two buns and had cow meat in the center. But what of the chicken burger? Or is it a chicken sandwich? No one doubts that if you put bacon in a hamburger it still is one, but what if you remove the cow meat, is it still a burger? What of the manner preparation, does it influence its burgerness? What if the bottom bun falls off, still a burger?

I realize such deep philosophical could not be responded lightly and so I have submitted them to debate. So I ask you what MUST a burger have to be one, and at what point it no longer is?

#2 Posted by Wraith1 (576 posts) -

a burger must be made of beef and in between two buns
a burger is no longer a burger if its not made out of beef and not between two buns

#3 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

A Luther Burger is a hamburger (specifically a bacon cheeseburger), with a grilled glazed donut in place of the bun.  

According to legend, the burger was named for and was a favorite (and possibly invention) of singer-songwriter and record producer Luther Vandross. This origin is mentioned in a January 2006 episode of animated series The Boondocks, "The Itis", in which the character Granddad creates an entire restaurant based on the burger (and other soul food).
#4 Posted by ZmillA (2287 posts) -

when it isn't using ground meat and/or there isn't some sort of layer sandwiching the filling.

#5 Posted by Lowbrow (840 posts) -

When I magically turn it into poop!

#6 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

When it uses turkey?

#7 Edited by UnsolvedParadox (1867 posts) -
When it's contained within something other than a bun.

@TheMustacheHero
said:

" When it uses turkey? "

That seems like more of a taste issue.
#8 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -

The term "hamburger" refers directly to the fact that "hamburger meat" is used, all you need for something to be considered a hamburger is a hamburger pattie, at the same time though, the second you remove the hamburger pattie it can no longer be considered a hamburger. Asked and answered.

#9 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -

What's up with all these hamburger threads ? use your imagination and come up with something more original !

#10 Posted by Upryse (49 posts) -

When it's ajar.

#11 Posted by Terry_Bogard (303 posts) -

When it doesn't have meat on it?

#12 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

When there isnt a hamburger inbetween the bread.

#13 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

When either the meat or 1 of 2 buns is missing, or both, it is no longer a burger.

#14 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

When its a KFC double down, no bread = no burger!

#15 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

A burger is not a burger when it's not bought from a fastfood company.

#16 Posted by harinosho (604 posts) -

when you eat the burger patty alone on a plate with a knife and fork in a fast food restaurant 

#17 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

Open faced,  

A MAN CHOOSES PICKLES!

#18 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -
@Buzzkill said:
"  A Luther Burger is a hamburger (specifically a bacon cheeseburger), with a grilled glazed donut in place of the bun.  

According to legend, the burger was named for and was a favorite (and possibly invention) of singer-songwriter and record producer Luther Vandross. This origin is mentioned in a January 2006 episode of animated series The Boondocks, "The Itis", in which the character Granddad creates an entire restaurant based on the burger (and other soul food). "
Fuck me that's gross
#19 Posted by Trissai (5 posts) -

when its missing the burger (meat) part of it

#20 Posted by ZmillA (2287 posts) -

hamburger is a type of burger which is a type of sandwich. For a hamburger to be a hamburger it must have ground beef.

#21 Posted by DRooPZ (82 posts) -

It stops being a burger when it no longer has beef or bun. 
No such thing as a chicken burger there chicken sandwiches.

#22 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

When it leaves home for the first time, enrolls in university and become and mothertrucking MANBURGER.

NNNNGNGNGNNGNNGNGNGNNGGG
#23 Posted by Vextroid (1429 posts) -

When its in mah tummeh.

#24 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

As long as it is some form food between two pieces of bread, I'd call it a hamburger. If that's chicken, fish, cow, turkey or even vegetarian options doesn't matter to me.

#25 Posted by wavegoodbye (285 posts) -

Gotta go with (ground beef + 2 buns + some kind of condiments).  Buffalo and turkey burgers are perfectly valid as long as they nail the other two criteria.  No meatless vegan trash, or open-faced alternatives will suffice.  Again, if it's missing condiments of some kind it's really nothing more than a grilled meatwad.

#26 Posted by TheDuke (231 posts) -

i say it needs meat not some veggie stuff and that meat has two be between two things that serve as buns like traditional buns or even donuts like the Luther

#27 Posted by nikopeters (84 posts) -

I don't really like pickles.

#28 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

what is a hamburger really ? 

no one knows

#29 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

When the buns are replaced by grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Gross 
#30 Posted by Karn (690 posts) -
@fini_fly said:
" When the buns are replaced by grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Gross 
"
Hot.
#31 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

A burger must have two buns and a meat patty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.