Why is it called a hamburger if it's made of beef?

#1 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

If there was a burger made of ham, would it be a beefburger!? 

This confuses me.

#2 Posted by Evil_Alaska (293 posts) -

The term hamburger originally derives from the German city of HamburgGermany's second largest city, from where many emigrated to America. In high German, "Burg" means "castle", or king's abode; earlier also city/town, and is a widespread component of city names. "Burger" describes someone coming from that castle or town, (compare London -> Londoner), hence Hamburger can be a descriptive noun in German, referring to something from Hamburg. Similarly, frankfurter and wiener, names for other meat-based foods, are also used in German as descriptive nouns for people or things from the cities of Frankfurt and Wien (Vienna), respectively. The term "burger" is associated with many different types of sandwiches similar to a hamburger.    

#3 Posted by cancerdancer (314 posts) -

Named after Hamburg, Germany.

#4 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

people do actually call them beefburgers you know

#5 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Yea like they said, it was created in hamburg.

#6 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@cap123 said:
" people do actually call them beefburgers you know "
I've never heard that before, but O.K.
#7 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I call them burgers

#8 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @cap123 said:
" people do actually call them beefburgers you know "
I've never heard that before, but O.K. "
I've only ever heard it called a beef burger when the beef is 90% or similar high-grade stuff.
#9 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Why are you always angry? Do you think hamburgers regret being called hamburgers?

#10 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@Claude: I'm angry because there's little to be happy about in life. Being nice sucks. People never do anything good unless it's for their own achievement, and I firmly believe this.
#11 Edited by cancerdancer (314 posts) -

He's also 14, so he's generally just a whiny bitch.

#12 Posted by Garden_Ninja (97 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Claude: I'm angry because there's little to be happy about in life. Being nice sucks. People never do anything good unless it's for their own achievement, and I firmly believe this. "
Wait.... you get gamerscore for being nice? I'm nice all the time, and I never got an achievement for it.  Must be a bug.
#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Claude: I'm angry because there's little to be happy about in life. Being nice sucks. People never do anything good unless it's for their own achievement, and I firmly believe this. "
I love you. Crap, you're right, I'm drunk. But goddammit, I care.
#14 Posted by Garden_Ninja (97 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
Wait... you get gamerscore for being nice? I'm nice all the fucking time and I never got any... must be a bug.
#15 Posted by Warfare (1632 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry:  Do you cut yourself ?
#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@cancerdancer said:
" He's also 14, so he's generally just a whiny bitch. "
Well, I was pretty fucking angry at 14. Carry on.
#17 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
You should try deluding yourself, works well enough for the rest of us.
#18 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@Warfare: >_> No, I hate emos. 

@cancerdancer: I'm not a whiny bitch, I'm a friendly person and love all my friends as if they were family. It's just a shame that most people in this world aren't nice people. Can you deny that? 

@Claude: Errr...thanks for saying you love me I guess...even though you're 43 :? And I've always been like this. Angry anger anger, you know, the usual. I actually think I'm a lot nicer now than I was before. 

Anywho, this thread is about hamburgers...or beefburgers.
#19 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -
I wonder if the OP is baffled as to why they call it "Kentucky Fried Chicken" when it's fried in other states?
#20 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@sickVisionz: I know it originated in Kentucky though.
#21 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@sickVisionz said:
" I wonder if the OP is baffled as to why they call it "Kentucky Fried Chicken" when it's fried in other states? "
That was pretty clever.
#22 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

ugh google was invented for a REASON.
Hamburg germany.

#23 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: I got a bj for being nice to a chick, so i would suggest calming down
#24 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1106 posts) -

Evil taught me something.

#25 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
" @AlwaysAngry: I got a bj for being nice to a chick, so i would suggest calming down "
Pics (preferably facial) or it didn't happen
#26 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
" @AlwaysAngry: I got a bj for being nice to a chick, so i would suggest calming down "

Dude, you thought I was a chick? Damn, now I just feel dirty.
#27 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Hamburg is a short train ride from where I live. Very nice place. :)

Hamburg

#28 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Why is an egg called an egg?

#29 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@EvilHaole said:
"  The term hamburger originally derives from the German city of HamburgGermany's second largest city, from where many emigrated to America. In high German, "Burg" means "castle", or king's abode; earlier also city/town, and is a widespread component of city names. "Burger" describes someone coming from that castle or town, (compare London -> Londoner), hence Hamburger can be a descriptive noun in German, referring to something from Hamburg. Similarly, frankfurter and wiener, names for other meat-based foods, are also used in German as descriptive nouns for people or things from the cities of Frankfurt and Wien (Vienna), respectively. The term "burger" is associated with many different types of sandwiches similar to a hamburger.     "
Please tell me you wrote that yourself and didn't just copy it off of wikipedia. Then, accept this proposal of marriage.
#30 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -
@EvilHaole said:

"  The term hamburger originally derives from the German city of  Hamburg Germany's second largest city, from where many emigrated to America. In high German, " Burg" means "castle", or king's abode; earlier also city/town, and is a widespread component of city names. "Burger" describes someone coming from that castle or town, (compare  London -> Londoner), hence Hamburger can be a descriptive noun in  German, referring to something from Hamburg. Similarly,  frankfurter and  wiener, names for other meat-based foods, are also used in German as descriptive nouns for people or things from the cities of  Frankfurt and  Wien (Vienna), respectively. The term "burger" is associated with many different types of sandwiches similar to a hamburger.     " 

#31 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@cancerdancer said:
" Named after Hamburg, Germany. "
Learn something new everyday.
#32 Posted by Toxin066 (3259 posts) -

Is a veggieburger made of vegetarians really still a veggie burger?

#33 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1401 posts) -
@hidys said:
"@EvilHaole said:

"  The term hamburger originally derives from the German city of  Hamburg Germany's second largest city, from where many emigrated to America. In high German, " Burg" means "castle", or king's abode; earlier also city/town, and is a widespread component of city names. "Burger" describes someone coming from that castle or town, (compare  London -> Londoner), hence Hamburger can be a descriptive noun in  German, referring to something from Hamburg. Similarly,  frankfurter and  wiener, names for other meat-based foods, are also used in German as descriptive nouns for people or things from the cities of  Frankfurt and  Wien (Vienna), respectively. The term "burger" is associated with many different types of sandwiches similar to a hamburger.     " 

"

Great stuff right there lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.