Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hard Corps: Uprising

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 16, 2011

Developed by Arc System Works, Hard Corps: Uprising is the spiritual sequel to Contra: Hard Corps available as a downloadable game on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network.

Check this out. Hard Corps: Uprising played properly.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

I'm bringing this thread back. The original thread was deleted because it had the word "shit" in the title. I forgot you're no longer allowed to curse in thread titles.

This is for those who were interested in Hard Corps: Uprising, but were turned off because certain footage made it look "slow" or "outdated" or whatever. It shows off advanced techniques like vaulting, dodging, and super tackling. Also, it's fucking fast. The run starts one minute into the video, so you might want to fast-forward to that point.

By the way: in the original thread, someone said speed runs are poor for judging games. Thing is, Hard Corps: Uprising is an arcade-style game, and the above video is a pretty accurate representation of what the game is when you can properly beat it (i.e. 1CC it). Also, you can make any game look bad with the wrong people playing. It's what games are when the right people are playing that matters. This is especially important to consider when it comes to advanced, challenging games like Hard Corps: Uprising. Watching someone who utterly sucks playing for example a fighting game or a racing simulator can be downright painful, even if the fighting game or racing simulator in question is a marvel of game design.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

You are so astronomically bitter.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

You realize that doesn't make it look "fun" for people who haven't played it. Speed runs are fun for people who really like a game and want to see someone "break" it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Still doesn't look like fun to me. It looks like work, with very little payoff.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icemael
    @HandsomeDead: I am indeed disdainful and disappointed that people happily gobble up piss-poor footage, but this thread is as much an act of love as it is one of contempt. 

@GlenTennis: Perhaps that's the case for people who don't care about advanced techniques in their games, but Hard Corps: Uprising wasn't made for those people anyway, and neither was this thread. This is for people who do care about advanced techniques in their games, and would be interested in Uprising if they had seen quality footage that actually, properly showed off what the game had to offer. In other words, people who wanted something really advanced, intense and fast-paced, but watched the Quick Look or other similar footage and went "no way I'm buying a game that's this slow and shallow".
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By groin

I had no idea that there was a Hard Corps defense force.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Undeadpool
    @groin: Something the editors dislike? There's a Defense Force for that...
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @groin: There are defense forces for lots of games. We usually call them "fans", though. Like the Uncharted 2 fans who defend that game, the Mass Effect 2 fans who defend that game, and yes, Hard Corps: Uprising fans who defend that game.

Or is it only a "defense force" when it's for something the staff members don't like?
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By groin
    @Icemael said:
    " @groin: There are defense forces for lots of games. We usually call them "fans", though. Like the Uncharted 2 fans who defend that game, the Mass Effect 2 fans who defend that game, and yes, Hard Corps: Uprising fans who defend that game.Or is it only a "defense force" when it's for something the staff members don't like? "
    I like lots of games that the staff members did not like. However, I do not post on forums trying to convince others to agree with my opinion.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By EuanDewar

I have yet to see the Quick Look in question but if anything that footage puts me off the game. I've also heard some stuff about loading times that didn't help.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Cincaid
    @Icemael: 
    I think it's good that there are people defending games all over the place (hell, you should hear me when I go on about Just Cause 2 for some of my friends). Still, this just doesn't look like a game I would enjoy in any way.

Keep on trucking though!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60

The staff usually are terrible at playing games, so I usually don't form my opinion based on their quick looks anyway.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ApertureSilence

So, why the fuck can we no longer use curse words in thread titles?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cincaid
    @CL60 said:
    " The staff usually are terrible at playing games, so I usually don't form my opinion based on their quick looks anyway. "
    I'm not defending the staff's usually poor ability to play games, but you have to keep in mind that when we're watching a QL it's most often:
    A) The very first time they're playing the game
    B) Really fucking hard to play good while having a conversation at the same time

Just saying. :)
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @groin said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @groin: There are defense forces for lots of games. We usually call them "fans", though. Like the Uncharted 2 fans who defend that game, the Mass Effect 2 fans who defend that game, and yes, Hard Corps: Uprising fans who defend that game.Or is it only a "defense force" when it's for something the staff members don't like? "
    I like lots of games that the staff members did not like. However, I do not post on forums trying to convince others to agree with my opinion. "
    Yes, god forbid someone tries to show some quality footage. Fuck that!

And fuck reviews, too. Why are all these assholes constantly trying to convince me to like or dislike certain games?

You know what? Fuck all criticism. Fuck all recommendations. People are always going "this is really cool, you should try it" and "you don't want to try that, it's not very good". I don't need anyone's stupid advice! I'll just watch random trailers and buy random games! Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing? That's a cool name, I'm going to buy that! What do you mean, "it's shit dude, don't buy it, you should get Resident Evil 4 instead"? Didn't I tell you I don't want recommendations? Resident Evil 4 is a stupid title anyway, so I bet that game sucks balls! What do you mean "watch these videos dude, you're making a mistake"? Fuck your videos! There's nothing I hate more than people who offer me reasoning and quality footage!
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Jaktajj

There's a defense force for Hardcorps: Uprising because its a freakin' stellar game and that Giantbomb quicklook kinda made a laughing stock out of it which is kind of infuriating when you actually play it. I normally trust the opinions of the overall attitude of Giantbomb and it's kinda betraying when they pull something like that. I'm sure a lot of people here now won't give this game a second thought after that quicklook, which means less people to play with online (especially off this site) and it ends up being kind of a downer. 

It's not even a case of 'this isn't really for me', because the Rising mode is actually makes it really accessible.

And pretty much all this stems from the fact that there's this hate for Arc's games, for some crazy reason. Because the amount of awesome little touches they put in their titles are quickly making them one of my favorite developers.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Aetheldod

Good vid .... whoever is playing is indeed very good at this awesome game , and it is a better representation of the game than the sorry excuse of QL that the giantbombers did. But IDK maybe Im being harsh on them but this is a good game , may not be for everyone but it does not lack quality or fun factor. 

@EuanDewar: 
    The load times are only at the start of each level and it only takes 25 seconds to load , albeit this is only during 1 player game IDK the times at multiplayer , but if you loose your lives and continue the level there is no re-load so the load times are not bad as the Jeff & Ryan at the QL made it  be.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

The staff's combined gamerscore alone tells me that they are probably pretty good at games. But it's kinda hard to play and shoot a video at the same time. So cut them some fucking slack.

FaTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FaTD
    @Icemael said:

" @HandsomeDead: ..... but this thread is as much an act of love as it is one of contempt. "

I honestly love that you said this. I think it sums up a lot of threads that are in a similar vein on nearly every kind of topic on the internet.

About Hard Corps: I think it's a cool game(played trial + watched QL and other random gameplay vids), but it's just not for me. Although I'm happy that it seems to be the right game for you and many other people.

Yes, I know the feeling when the GB Crew is making fun of something you like/love (who doesn't at this point) but I watch the QLs for entertainment value and only sometimes as a way to form an opinion over a game.

So to close my post: I'd say if you like it that's OK. If some people don't that's OK as well.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By jozzy

I am still considering picking this up, this video made me want it more. Thanks!

Dain22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dain22

I have to admit, I liked the don't-stop-for-nothing/always-be -shooting vibe of that video.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jaktajj
    @jozzy: You should dude, it's freaking awesome. Along with Costume Quest and Stacking, it's probably one of the best PSN games I've played in as long as I can remember.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The load times are craptastically long, and the art style really puts me off.  

Aside from that, looks like an average Contra shooter.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jaktajj
    @KingWilly: Load times are actually fine - don't understand what was going on in the Giantbomb quick look. I think they may have been playing a beta version or something?
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By 234r2we232

omg shutup dis game iz lame cuz jeff said so... and Jeff played it for maybe 20 minutes and has a tendency to be the biggest biased baby when he wants to be. It's a shame so many take his; and the other GB crew's word, as gold.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cincaid
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " omg shutup dis game iz lame cuz jeff said so... and Jeff played it for maybe 20 minutes and has a tendency to be the biggest biased baby when he wants to be. It's a shame so many take his; and the other GB crew's word, as gold. "
    I agree that it's silly to take their "word as gold", but it's just as silly to criticize every little thing they do and say.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Just played this game a while ago and it's awesome! Well I guess I've always been a Contra fan and I like the pacing of this game.  Trying to play it too slow can drag but playing it fast, it's intense!  And difficulty is just fine, typical Contra difficulty where you really have to know what's going to happen next.  I guess only Contra fans would really appreciate the game, like me, I really find it awesome :)

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @CL60 said:
    "The staff usually are terrible at playing games, so I usually don't form my opinion based on their quick looks anyway. "

Pretty much this. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
    @CrazyChris said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " omg shutup dis game iz lame cuz jeff said so... and Jeff played it for maybe 20 minutes and has a tendency to be the biggest biased baby when he wants to be. It's a shame so many take his; and the other GB crew's word, as gold. "
    I agree that it's silly to take their "word as gold", but it's just as silly to criticize every little thing they do and say. "
    You can watch their video on mute and reach the same conclusion they did.  
    This video didn't solve for me the checkpoint problems or the loading problems by cropping out the loading and not dying.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By 234r2we232
    @ryanwho said:
    " @CrazyChris said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    I agree that it's silly to take their "word as gold", but it's just as silly to criticize every little thing they do and say. "
    You can watch their video on mute and reach the same conclusion they did.  This video didn't solve for me the checkpoint problems or the loading problems by cropping out the loading and not dying. "
    The loading times are fine according to everywhere else. And Jeff throwing all of his toys out of the bed because he dies and has to re-play something says more about Jeff than the game.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By innacces14

Looks fun to watch, but then again so is any other game that I don't wanna take the time to learn. It's just one of those things when I look at Starcraft II or MvC3 where I appreciate the time people take to get this down to a microscopic level, but damn me if I don't know where to start let alone if I wanna start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.