Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hard Reset

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 13, 2011

The debut game from a new Polish development studio, Flying Wild Hog. The player controls a cyborg, Major Fletcher, who must use a pair of transforming weapons to defeat an army of malfunctioning robots that endanger the "cyberpunk megacity" of Bezoar.

Hard Reset developer talks quick-saves, royalty rates, and NO DRM

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

Check this out out guys an interesting Ars Technica Interview with Klaudiusz Zych, the cofunder of (and programmer at) Flying Wild Hog. 

He makes  some good points:  

-The save system has a huge impact on gameplay, it changes the way people play the game. For example, if a game doesn't have checkpoints—this can be very frustrating when you forget to save often enough," Zych explained. "Quick saves on the other hand can ruin a game's difficulty and balance." 

-A small team creating a game and aiming it exclusively at PCs? It seems like a risky move financially. Zych disagrees. "Consoles are past their peak of interest. In my opinion everyone is moving their focus to mobile devices: iOS and Android mobiles, to social games on Facebook and finally to digital distribution on PCs," he told Ars. "The number of copies sold for all the other systems is not as big as for consoles, but the royalties a developer gets from the deal are much, much higher." 

-The game industry is very polarized nowadays," Zych explained. "Big studios with budgets of tens of millions of dollars for a single game dominate the console market and small indie studios dominate digital distribution on mobiles and PCs. And almost no one does middle budget games." 

-My last question concerned the boogeyman of DRM. "I'm a gamer as well as a developer," Zych said. "And I hate DRM. So no DRM."

Interesting thoughs, specially the switching focus from consoles to mobile/social and budget in AAA games I've always think that games like Dragon Age instead of being "dumbed down" for mass appeal should be produced in lower scale (with a small budget), niche games don't necesarily need hundreds of millions of dollars to be produced. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.