Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Harmonix Music Systems

Company »

Harmonix Music Systems are the creative developers behind many music / rhythm games. They were founded on March 1, 1995 in Cambridge Massachusetts by Alex Rigopulos and Eran Egozy. They were acquired by Epic Games in November 2021.

Bummer, Harmonix experiences more Layoffs

• 62 results
    UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Per Polygon

Harmonix Music Systems laid off 37 full-time employees today, and Alex Rigopulos, CEO and co-founder of the studio, is moving into a new management role, a representative for the company confirmed to Polygon today.

37 folks got laid off, Alex Rigapulos steps down as CEO (although he'll remain as "Creative Director"), and Chroma goes back to the drawing board, according to this Game Informer Article.

Ugh, this news is especially sad since they pimped so hard to finally get that Amplitude Kickstarter. They used to have around 200+ people working there during the Guitar Hero/Rockband days. How many people are left now?

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What a freaking bummer. I hope they get better jobs soon.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not a big rhythm game guy but Chroma being scrapped is really dissapointing. Makes sense though considering they were pooling all their resources into a game for a now nonexistent accessory.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

It would have to have been higher if the kick starter wasn't a success right?

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By freakin9

Not surprising, they are a little too "all in" with the Kinect.

And now Kinect is going the way of the dodo.

And to be frank, I doubt making games for Kinect was ever that lucrative, unless Microsoft pays devs a bonus for making games for the thing, which seems likely.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn shame. The personalities there are fantastic, it's too bad that's not how they make their money. Maybe those dance central games weren't as successful as I thought they were.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Mister_V

@toowalrus said:

Damn shame. The personalities there are fantastic, it's too bad that's not how they make their money. Maybe those dance central games weren't as successful as I thought they were.

This. I love the folks at harmonix but i have zero interest in any of their games. I suspect i'm not the only one.

Hope the people who got laid off find work quickly.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have to have been higher if the kick starter wasn't a success right?

I imagine that'd be true, then again, I think that they barely reached the kickstarter goal probably made them examine their main creative model of music rhythm based games.

Man, I bet it's fucking depressing in the Harmonix office right now. Let's just send them good wishes.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@toowalrus: Alex Rigapulos gave a talk about the history of Harmonix at PAXeast earlier this year and he mentioned that while rockband/dance central sold really well they were expensive to make, and the company was struggling before those came out so they owed a lot of money in loans and ultimately they mostly just broke even.

While i've not always been super interested in Harmonix games (with the exception of Rockband) it's sad to see a company that takes such cool creative risks struggle like this.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BradBrains

No surprises they said as much whe. The kick starter starter

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PsychoPenguin

Yeah, this isn't that surprising considering they're wrapping up Disney Fantasia and can't seem to secure funding for future titles. I'm sure publishers are being scared off now that the kinect is no longer in every xbox one and the best rhythm game they can come up with that uses a normal controller is a remake of a game that wasn't a big success the first time around. Their first person shooter idea, Chroma is also in dire straits and is being redesigned as well.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs and I hope that Harmonix is able to pull through this rough patch.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elwoodan said:

@toowalrus: Alex Rigapulos gave a talk about the history of Harmonix at PAXeast earlier this year and he mentioned that while rockband/dance central sold really well they were expensive to make, and the company was struggling before those came out so they owed a lot of money in loans and ultimately they mostly just broke even.

While i've not always been super interested in Harmonix games (with the exception of Rockband) it's sad to see a company that takes such cool creative risks struggle like this.

Yes, they didn't have the benefit of pirating the music in their games. The music industry still has the power to bleed professionals that want to use their music dry. Even if they don't have that power anymore with the general public.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this isn't that surprising considering they're wrapping up Disney Infinity and can't seem to secure funding for future titles. I'm sure publishers are being scared off now that the kinect is no longer in every xbox one and the best rhythm game they can come up with that uses a normal controller is a remake of a game that wasn't a big success the first time around. Their first person shooter idea, Chroma is also in dire straights and is being redesigned as well.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs and I hope that Harmonix is able to pull through this rough patch.

You mean Fantasia?

Infinity is Avalanche.

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If they had good ideas that would make money, they wouldn't be in this situation.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man this hits a little too close to home in a way, but i guess it was the same with Rich Gallup a couple years back.

hope the ones affected all land on their feet soon. i'll have a diet coke in their honor.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan

@thehbk: That's obviously subjective, but if you look at the critical reception to their products they almost never make a game that isn't widely considered to be very good.

Not the money part of course.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, it might explain why they did their kickstarter to meet their internal schedule. Maybe if it had been more successful there would be no layoff.

I remember Tim Schafer saying that if the kickstarter had not been this successful they would have done cut in personel too.

It's super shitty anyway.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bet is a lot of these guys were working on Kinect projects and the news about the $399 Xbone killed the project.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Harmonix is in the middle of doing a "Double Fine shift" where instead of one or two large music games, they will start branching out and make a bunch of different music oriented games. They already have Record Run and Amplitude, and since they seem to have a (from appearance) fairly music oriented staff maybe they should focus on making a bunch of small music rhythm based games... well, whatever, that's way easier said than done.

I'd play a castlevania style platformer starring John T Drake though.

Loading Video...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

@mister_v said:

@toowalrus said:

This. I love the folks at harmonix but i have zero interest in any of their games. I suspect i'm not the only one.

I'm the opposite. I don't personally know anyone who works at Harmonix but I love their games.

Dance Central was a generation defining game for me and is the only exclusive with the potential to make me buy an entire new console for. Anything that hurts the possibility or potential quality of a Harmonix-ass-Harmonix Dance Central sequel SERIOUSLY bums me out.

(...and yeah, Fantasia was never going to make that money back with or without MS's recent Kinect announcement)

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Damn you Microsoft!!1!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I wonder if this is the reason why Harmonix ran their kickstarter for such a short period of time...it would make sense to get that over with before layoffs were announced, investors would be a lot less likely to give a company money after a huge layoff.

The timing is very suspect.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Ouch. This is the reality of these jobs but I feel for everyone laid off there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Makes me wonder if they'll be able to actually finish Amplitude at this rate, but my condolences go to those that lost their jobs.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, it was just announced that EA shut down mythic entertainment... todays a bummer........

Source

Avatar image for gold_skulltulla
    Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

@mb: Probably more likely that there would have been more layoffs if the Kickstarter was unsuccessful. Have to imagine they weren't going to make staffing cuts without knowing what their budget and workload was going to be.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

This is depressing news, I'm guessing people knew their jobs were about to be over once they saw that Amplitude wasn't doing huge numbers on Kickstarter.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@hailinel said:

Makes me wonder if they'll be able to actually finish Amplitude at this rate, but my condolences go to those that lost their jobs.

I kind of assumed they knew this was coming beforehand (maybe a question of how many not if), hence the kickstarter as a last ditch effort to save as many jobs as possible.

My guess is they will finish Amplitude.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The music/rhythm genre went from niche to mainstream and is now returning to niche, layoffs are inevitable in this situation. They need to create something new and creative like they did with guitar hero and rock band.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@slag: Of course they knew this was coming...maybe only the executives and HR, but they knew. Layoffs like this aren't planned and executed within a week or two.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@narujoe93 said:

Well, it was just announced that EA shut down mythic entertainment... todays a bummer........

Source

I thought that happened long ago, so that was kinda surprising to me. Warhammer Online was shut down last year, the new Dungeon Keeper doesn't seem to have been a success, and Mythic's old titles Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot have been in the hands of another developer for quite a while - Broadsword Online Games.

But I guess Mythic were the ones who brought EA games to GOG, the latest being SimCity 4, which was released earlier today, so I wonder what'll happen with that in the future.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While its not really surprising, big rhythm and kinect games pretty much dead at the moment, I feel sorry for anyone who is affected. It think the kickstarter was a little misjudged though, a big part of the advertising of it was showing a happy, functional studio, which is a little contrary to the reality. I don't think they should be condemned for it, but I think I would be a little perturbed if I was a backer.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@narujoe93 said:

Source

I thought that happened long ago, so that was kinda surprising to me. Warhammer Online was shut down last year, the new Dungeon Keeper doesn't seem to have been a success, and Mythic's old titles Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot have been in the hands of another developer for quite a while - Broadsword Online Games.

But I guess Mythic were the ones who brought EA games to GOG, the latest being SimCity 4, which was released earlier today, so I wonder what'll happen with that in the future.

WHOA, doesn't Paul Barnett and Carrie Gouskos work primarily for EA Mythic?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@narujoe93 said:

Source

Paul is General manager. Carrie is head of studio operations.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#36 fisk0  Moderator

@fisk0 said:

@narujoe93 said:

Source

Yeah, Barnett was involved in the getting-games-to-GOG stuff (as well as helping Wing Commander CIC with archiving the Wing Commander source code and design documents), so I really hope he'll be around somewhere at EA making sure their vast library of classic games won't get lost to time (since EA themselves, judging by the handling of the Battlefield series and that stuff, seem to have little interest in the back catalog).

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

I'm not a big rhythm game guy but Chroma being scrapped is really dissapointing. Makes sense though considering they were pooling all their resources into a game for a now nonexistent accessory.

I didn't know Chroma was cancelled. That really sucks... =[

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'd imagine this mostly has to do with Chroma, and maybe Record Run now that that's out. In the email they sent out regarding the end of the closed early alpha a day or two ago, they said they'd be doing some major retooling to the game, but it sounded like they'd just be going back to work.

Based on the terrific feedback we got from all of you in the community, as well as our own analysis, we have concluded that Chroma will need some substantial retooling to be the game we want it to be. We remain passionately committed to the high-level vision, and we think there are some very successful mechanics and systems in the existing build. The team has, in fact, already started prototyping new directions for the game based on those successful mechanics. We look forward to sharing more with you down the line, as Chroma evolves in new directions.

As an aside, I also think this kind of shows how ridiculous the "Harmonix shouldn't be doing a Kickstarter" arguments were. I don't imagine most people would use Kickstarter if they could avoid it, and for a company the size of Harmonix it always seemed more a sign of financial trouble, in addition to uncertainty regarding the pertinence, relevance and current value of an old IP. As always, I wish everyone the best who was laid off, and hopefully they can find new work soon.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

I didn't know Chroma was cancelled. That really sucks... =[

Chroma isn't canceled from what I have read. It is being "brought back to the drawing board"

Foggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Foggen

I didn't back the Kickstarter because I never really liked Frequency, but if I had done so I would now feel like I had been taken advantage of, especially if anything happened to Drake or Pope. All of the shits I give about Harmonix revolve around those guys.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foggen said:

I didn't back the Kickstarter because I never really liked Frequency, but if I had done so I would now feel like I had been taken advantage of, especially if anything happened to Drake or Pope. All of the shits I give about Harmonix revolve around those guys.

The success of the Kickstarter is more than likely the only reason they could keep their jobs.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again, it's a bummer to hear about layoffs, but would we really care if a couple of people from the studio weren't inside-jokey "friends of the site"?

Yes.

Good to know what kind of person you are though.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UncleBenny

This just came in from the amplitude kickstarter update:

It's possible that many of you have read the news regarding recent restructuring at Harmonix, which has led to us say goodbye to a number of talented colleagues and folks we consider friends. 

We realize that many of our supporters might have some questions regarding how this might affect Amplitude, and we would like to quickly take the time to address those concerns.  

Thanks to the amazing outpouring of support for the Amplitude project, we were able to reach a Kickstarter goal that would enable us to support the development staff necessary to make the game a reality. 

Simply put, our promise to our backers and fans has not changed, and the Amplitude project remains unaffected.  

We look forward to providing frequent updates on the project starting next week, so stay tuned!

-The Amplitude Development Team

Sounds like the kickstarter may have saved a few jobs.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Alucitary

Harmonix has been a weird company ever since the end of the Dance Central days. They now have multiple titles in various stages of development but none of them even show signs of even providing a release date. They've had Fantasia on the table forever as well as Chroma which has been in Alpha forever, and now they're adding on Amplitude. This layoff sucks but I don't blame the higher ups for raising a few eyebrows, auditing the dev house, and removing some of the less essential staff to increase efficiency.

Foggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@foggen said:

The success of the Kickstarter is more than likely the only reason they could keep their jobs.

Is it confirmed that they did?

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foggen: I think JTD is too essential to be let go, if he gets let go it'd because Harmonix is closing or because he killed that girl.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, rough day for people in the biz.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By splodge

@foggen said:

@splodge said:

@foggen said:

Is it confirmed that they did?

Yup Amplitude is one of the things that can keep going. IT stands to reason without the kickstarter there would be no funding and no game, thus no need for that staff. Kickstarter funds pays their wage during the production.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Well that sucks. I really like Harmonix. And Chroma sounded pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.