Harmonix Trademarks 'Vidrhythm,' Refuses to Say What That Is

  • 60 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -
Get on it, Harmonix.

Ever since Harmonix made it known that the Rock Band franchise was taking 2011 off (outside of the usual DLC pipeline), many have speculated as to what the newly independent studio might be focusing its developmental efforts on instead. Dance Central 2 is obviously one of those in-development projects, but word has swirled for a while now that Harmonix had some other, original ideas kicking around.

One of those appears to be Vidrhythm, a name recently trademarked by the studio with an "intent to use" filing. What is Vidrhythm? I have no idea, but it's a thing that exists, according to Harmonix Communications Director and noted rage enthusiast John Drake, who confirmed to us that this is most definitely a project currently under development, and that "it will be awesome." So, hey, you heard it here first.

Now feel free to spend the next several hours constructing what the combination of Vid (one can presume it being short for "video") and rhythm both signify. I'm personally hoping for something in the vein of Make My Video. Bring back Marky Mark!

#1 Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -
Get on it, Harmonix.

Ever since Harmonix made it known that the Rock Band franchise was taking 2011 off (outside of the usual DLC pipeline), many have speculated as to what the newly independent studio might be focusing its developmental efforts on instead. Dance Central 2 is obviously one of those in-development projects, but word has swirled for a while now that Harmonix had some other, original ideas kicking around.

One of those appears to be Vidrhythm, a name recently trademarked by the studio with an "intent to use" filing. What is Vidrhythm? I have no idea, but it's a thing that exists, according to Harmonix Communications Director and noted rage enthusiast John Drake, who confirmed to us that this is most definitely a project currently under development, and that "it will be awesome." So, hey, you heard it here first.

Now feel free to spend the next several hours constructing what the combination of Vid (one can presume it being short for "video") and rhythm both signify. I'm personally hoping for something in the vein of Make My Video. Bring back Marky Mark!

#2 Posted by MolluskLingers (109 posts) -

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

Cautiously interested...

Online
#4 Posted by Winsord (1249 posts) -

Buckner and Garcia's new game? ;)

#5 Posted by Psycosis (392 posts) -

Vidrhythm: Final Fantasy?

#6 Posted by l3illyl3ob (284 posts) -

Oh my.  Vidrhythm and Theatrhythm both in the same day?  What's next?

#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

Dancing and singing at the same time to music videos.

#8 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -
@Methodis

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Yeah I read that story too, real shady stuff.
#9 Posted by JerseyDriver (57 posts) -

@l3illyl3ob said:

Oh my. Vidrhythm and Theatrhythm both in the same day? What's next?
#10 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

New trend in video games. Word+ Rhythm. Rhythmrhythm.

#11 Posted by OriginalGman (294 posts) -

I own the copyright on titles with the name "Rhythm" in them. I'm going to make a lot of money today.

#12 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Why is Alex writing about Harmonix...

OH MY GOD ALEX IS A SPY

#13 Posted by Nomin (978 posts) -

Next up: Cinerhythm. 

#14 Posted by SomeJerk (3305 posts) -

Hope you like Kinect because

#15 Posted by TheKing (844 posts) -

@Methodis said:

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Best use of first post ever.

#16 Posted by RecSpec (3853 posts) -

First Theatrhythm and now Vidrhythm? Are you FUCKING kidding me game industry?

#17 Posted by Jensonb (1758 posts) -

They're porting the Rock Band engine to NEMO

#18 Posted by RazielCuts (2976 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
@Methodis

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Yeah I read that story too, real shady stuff.
What story are you referring to? 
#19 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

haha great quote from John Drake.

#20 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -
#21 Posted by Beforet (2930 posts) -

What is with awkwardly combining words with "rhythm"?

#22 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I hope it's a device that vibrates crotches.

#23 Posted by yakityyakblah (163 posts) -
@RE_Player92: Compared to the shit EA, Rockstar, and Bondi have been accused of a non compete clause is pretty reasonable. 
#24 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

@DrFidget said:

Perhaps a spiritual successor to Vib-Ribbon?

Oh my god, yes please!

#25 Posted by Bear (247 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

@DrFidget said:

Perhaps a spiritual successor to Vib-Ribbon?

Oh my god, yes please!

Seconded. This was the first thing I thought of when I read the name.
#26 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@RazielCuts
@RE_Player92 said:
@Methodis

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Yeah I read that story too, real shady stuff.
What story are you referring to? 
I am curious to know this as well.
#27 Posted by Donos (1195 posts) -

@DrFidget said:

Perhaps a spiritual successor to Vib-Ribbon?

Thanks, I couldn't remember what this name was reminding me of.

#28 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2384 posts) -

Vidrhythm. Videos created by rhythm. A game that visualizes rhythms. A game where you have to create rythms and use them in videos, or vice versa. That's my thoughts on it.

#29 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
#30 Posted by Zacagawea (1600 posts) -

Game of the year 2012, confirmed

#31 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (601 posts) -

Who cares?

#32 Edited by OldGuy (1567 posts) -
@yoshimitz707 said:

@Hailinel said:

@RazielCuts

@RE_Player92 said:
@Methodis

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Yeah I read that story too, real shady stuff.
What story are you referring to?
I am curious to know this as well.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-03/business/29733744_1_noncompete-video-game-harmonix-music-systems

It's a non-compete clause. Tough cookies. If he got an offer to work at, say, Bungie then no worries. But he was going to work at a company that makes product that would directly compete.
Online
#33 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Hailinel said:

@RazielCuts
@RE_Player92 said:
@Methodis

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Yeah I read that story too, real shady stuff.
What story are you referring to?
I am curious to know this as well.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-03/business/29733744_1_noncompete-video-game-harmonix-music-systems

It's a non-compete clause. Tough cookies. If he got an offer to work at, say Bungie, no worries. But he was going to work at a company that makes product that would directly compete.

Agreed. Maybe I'm just naive, but this doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

#34 Posted by l3illyl3ob (284 posts) -

He almost immediately got another (non-video game related) job.  It's kind of disingenuous to say that Harmonix forced him to be unemployed for a year.

#35 Posted by Dalai (7042 posts) -

This is only the second worst portmanteau using the word rhythm I've heard today. I might have to sleep on my belly tonight in case monkeys fly out of my butt.

Online
#36 Edited by notdrew (86 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

@OldGuy said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Hailinel said:

@RazielCuts
@RE_Player92 said:
@Methodis

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Yeah I read that story too, real shady stuff.
What story are you referring to?
I am curious to know this as well.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-03/business/29733744_1_noncompete-video-game-harmonix-music-systems

It's a non-compete clause. Tough cookies. If he got an offer to work at, say Bungie, no worries. But he was going to work at a company that makes product that would directly compete.

Agreed. Maybe I'm just naive, but this doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

yeah, i didn't feel like this was a big deal either. I think it just sucks that he was offered a job at the competing company and wasn't allowed to take it because of the Non-Compete clause. But as much as it sucks, businesses have to protect their most valuable assets any way possible.

#37 Posted by GS_Dan (1405 posts) -

That non compete stuff seems pretty reasonable. But I'm an HMX fanboy.

#38 Posted by Hamst3r (4523 posts) -

@Beforet: I dunnorhythm.

#39 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

You use a keyboard with different video clips bound to the keys, and each clip has a sound track. You press the keys in rhythm to create music that results in a music video. You then watch the video and promptly never play the game again.

Online
#40 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

Hot on the heels of Theatrhythm, Harmonix knew they had to grab this trademark before it was too late.

#41 Posted by bkbroiler (1636 posts) -

EXPLAIN THIS SHIT, NAVARRO. YOU WORKED THERE

#42 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

@notdrew said:

@Slaker117 said:

@OldGuy said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Hailinel said:

@RazielCuts
@RE_Player92 said:
@Methodis

I look forward to the next game by a company who forces a man to go unemployed and look for a job for a year because they are scared of other companies stealing their entirely original games.

Yeah I read that story too, real shady stuff.
What story are you referring to?
I am curious to know this as well.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-03/business/29733744_1_noncompete-video-game-harmonix-music-systems

It's a non-compete clause. Tough cookies. If he got an offer to work at, say Bungie, no worries. But he was going to work at a company that makes product that would directly compete.

Agreed. Maybe I'm just naive, but this doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

yeah, i didn't feel like this was a big deal either. I think it just sucks that he was offered a job at the competing company and wasn't allowed to take it because of the Non-Compete clause. But as much as it sucks, businesses have to protect their most valuable assets any way possible.

After the whole fall-out with Activision and losing their grip on the Guitar Hero IP, you can understand their interest in protecting themselves from any problems with staffers potentially jumping ship and taking Harmonix know-how, ideas, and potentially technology to competing developers.

Also, dude signed a contract that said he couldn't work for any company making a rhythm game for a year, and boo-hoo he is being expected to honor that contract. I think it is disgraceful that he made it into a news item to begin with.

#43 Posted by GreggD (4508 posts) -

@Stahlbrand: Agreed.

#44 Posted by FilthyBastard (23 posts) -

im gonna start reading books.

#45 Posted by Johntdrake (36 posts) -

@Methodis: Uhhhhh, whut? Are you talking about HMX? If it's in relation to that article that came out, I think the quote in there was pretty straightforward...is that what you meant?

#46 Posted by MeatSim (10898 posts) -

Make My Video spiritual successor or bust.

#47 Posted by kalmis (1559 posts) -

What an idiotic name

#48 Posted by MightyDuck (1523 posts) -

I'd love some type of sequel to Frequency or Amplitude.
 
Here's hoping!

#49 Posted by forkboy (1166 posts) -
@Stahlbrand: Disgraceful?  Jesus Christ, have you ever actually been unemployed for any length of time?  The article seemed perfectly valid.  Perhaps Harmonix should add a "no media talk about us for 1 year after you've been fired"?
#50 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

2012 - the year of the RHYTMS.

So Vidrhytm = Video + rhytm? Kinect game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.