Viacom Is Selling Off Harmonix

• 138 results
#101 Posted by killawogg (222 posts) -

10-1 activision buys them

#102 Posted by dangeRUSS04 (94 posts) -

as long as its not activision i don't care,  i prefer ea to swoop in

#103 Posted by GozerTC (457 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker:
I'm with you.  Microsoft seems a good purchaser to get a team who have proven they know how to use Kinect to make more kinect centric games. 
#104 Posted by Hemlock (80 posts) -

Man, I love Harmonix, and I hate the way they've been jerked around since Guitar Hero. They created a cultural phenomenon with that game, then Activision told them to get lost. Now this almost immediately after two of the best games they've ever made? Can't catch a break.

#105 Posted by m2cks (585 posts) -

Viacom: Okay, you finished Dance Central and RB3 and made us filthy rich. Thanks! NOW GTFO

God, if Activision buys them...

#106 Posted by Johnny5 (1355 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" Come on Microsoft you have the money, you have the technology *dance central* and you need an exclusive! come on!!!! "
Good idea Will. Man... I feel like Harmonix is a mistreated lady. Can't noone treat her right?  

They consistently put out great games then this?
#107 Posted by Mouth (138 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" @Laketown said:
" the time is now, activision! "
Fuck that idea. "

I second that. How bout EA?
#108 Posted by regularassmilk (1412 posts) -

Kind of weird to dump such a big money-maker wing like that. 
But hey, maybe we can get an actual parent company that knows a little something-something about developing or publishing.

#109 Posted by Toxin066 (3287 posts) -

It's been a long road...GETTING FROM THERE TO HERE!

#110 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Not as bad as a studio closing, hope that Harmonix (as they've been quite successful in the past) can find someone else to team up with or bounce from publishers. Best of luck to them. Viacom never seemed that good a fit for the game industry, I think of them more for tv/movies than games.

#111 Posted by DuncanIdabro (7 posts) -

Hope the best of luck to Harmonix, they have a great blend of staying successful without being condescending to their player base.

#112 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

Too bad.

#113 Posted by FormulaDeuce (237 posts) -

EA is the most likely candidate, but if they don't get a large publisher willing to back them before long, this could be the end of a great developer not past their prime.

#114 Posted by KaiUnderneath (119 posts) -

Craaaaaap...He says it won't effect support, but come on...it totally will. 
I LOVE Rock Band 3 and I want tracks to keep coming out for it. The keyboard is so much fun.

#115 Posted by Volkodlak (115 posts) -

Come on everyone chant with me... not Activision.

#116 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Did anyone forget that EA helped publish the game? If anything, I'm sure EA will buy up Harmonix just to continue their support on the game and to continue the competition against Activision. "
#117 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Great news! Hope EA steps in and lends a hand.

#118 Posted by PJ (1144 posts) -
@killawogg said:
" 10-1 activision buys them "
1-1 that EA buys them. 5-1 that Microsoft does.
#119 Posted by PrioritySeven (322 posts) -
@PJ said:
" @killawogg said:
1-1 that EA buys them. 5-1 that Microsoft does. "
I'm going a smooth 6-1 that THQ gets in the mix.
#120 Edited by Brackynews (4083 posts) -

I don't think it's fair to call it a "bonus payout" if it can be forcibly refunded.
That's more like getting an advance on your taxes.
I'm sure Randy and Vince would agree.

#121 Posted by Slab64 (1055 posts) -
@PrioritySeven said:
" @PJ said:
" @killawogg said:
1-1 that EA buys them. 5-1 that Microsoft does. "
I'm going a smooth 6-1 that THQ gets in the mix. "
Is Bethesda/Zenimax more or less likely than Activision?
#122 Posted by Swoxx (2999 posts) -

What the fuck is going on, i thought Harmonix was doing bangers

#123 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I guess it kind of makes sense since the Rock Band franchise has pretty much reached a point where there's no more features to introduce but I'm sure Harmonix will continue making quality products, no matter who buys them.

#124 Edited by ImBigInJapan (258 posts) -
@swoxx said:

" What the fuck is going on, i thought Harmonix was doing bangers "

Nah... Harmonix has been reporting net losses for a few years now. It is a victim of its own success in a way - as a lot of other people have mentioned there is an overabundance of plastic instrument based rhythm games out there, and the market can no longer support the outlay needed to create a new version of the game.

I too hope Harmonix will come out of it OK, there aren't too many Boston based game devs of note anymore (though I suppose that is true of a lot of cities).
#125 Posted by confideration (411 posts) -

Rock Band 3 is near perfection. 

Honestly this is a 'must have' series for a lot of people so Harmonix will be fine, especially when the next generation of consoles comes out in about 3-4 years.

#126 Posted by RopeSnake (12 posts) -

Well this sucks. Don't know if I'll buy RB3 now.

#127 Posted by Swoxx (2999 posts) -
@ImBigInJapan said:
" @swoxx said:

" What the fuck is going on, i thought Harmonix was doing bangers "

Nah... Harmonix has been reporting net losses for a few years now. It is a victim of its own success in a way - as a lot of other people have mentioned there is an overabundance of plastic instrument based rhythm games out there, and the market can no longer support the outlay needed to create a new version of the game.  I too hope Harmonix will come out of it OK, there aren't too many Boston based game devs of note anymore (though I suppose that is true of a lot of cities). "
Man, i guess i just assumed, because everyone loves it, that they were doing fine
#128 Posted by Miacosa (12 posts) -
Good! All these games are tired. It's time for it to be put down.
#129 Posted by darkjester74 (1576 posts) -

This may have been asked already, but I am curious to see if Alex cares to comment on this story?

#130 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

This is good news. Harmonix are garbage developers who try to sell us the same useless piece of plastic every year. If this stops them from flooding the market with what is essentially shovel ware, it's great news.

#131 Posted by jaheim2g5 (2 posts) -

So how is this going to affect the Rock Band Network? 
In six months will I still be able to buy extra songs for RB3?

#132 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" @Laketown said:
I guarantee activision won't buy them. Guitar Hero sold poorly. Rock Band 3 fucking bombed. They won't buy them because they won't make a profit. Activision want new fresh games they can pump out for years, not a developer who might have one or two games left in them. "

I dunno. It could really make sense for activision to buy them and, if not keep them intact, at least gut them, take all the best talent and the Rockband name.  They would own the music genre again and since they wouldn't have any competition in the market they could take their time working on a music game or two without any competitive pressure.
#133 Posted by MadExponent (305 posts) -

I could see Sony or Microsoft trying to pick them up

#134 Posted by eug (13 posts) -

Hopefully this leads to bigger and better things. Good luck guys!

#135 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

Harmonix is one of the best game developers out there. How could they be fired so easily after being such a successful branch?

#136 Posted by LiquidPrince (15946 posts) -
@Laketown said:
Oh dude...
#137 Posted by Aonarach (11 posts) -

I don't get why they'd sell Harmonix off like this.  Seems like a profitable franchise to me.

#138 Posted by temmink (50 posts) -

Go go Valve to the rescue!

#139 Posted by Tricky69 (299 posts) -

Konami should buy them...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.