Viacom Sells Harmonix To... Harmonix

• 76 results
Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
Well that didn't take too long. After stating back in November that it was intending to sell off the Rock Band developer, Viacom has announced that Harmonix has been sold to Columbus Nova, an investment management firm. Specifically, CN has set up a new affiliate company, known as Harmonix-SBE Holdings, LLC, to run the Cambridge-based studio.

The specifics of the deal have not been announced, but a note posted by Harmonix's John Drake (but attributed simply to Harmonix) states...

We’re excited to be returning to our roots as an independent and privately owned studio. As for what it means for you, the DLC schedule marches on for Rock Band, we will continue our support of previously released titles and we’re hard at work on some unannounced projects that we think you’re going to be pumped about.

Though there's an investment firm backing them up, this essentially sounds like Harmonix is once again in control of Harmonix, something that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. 

Here's a loosely related video that I'm not going to bother explaining because it would take too long and the end joke wouldn't actually be that funny.

Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
Well that didn't take too long. After stating back in November that it was intending to sell off the Rock Band developer, Viacom has announced that Harmonix has been sold to Columbus Nova, an investment management firm. Specifically, CN has set up a new affiliate company, known as Harmonix-SBE Holdings, LLC, to run the Cambridge-based studio.

The specifics of the deal have not been announced, but a note posted by Harmonix's John Drake (but attributed simply to Harmonix) states...

We’re excited to be returning to our roots as an independent and privately owned studio. As for what it means for you, the DLC schedule marches on for Rock Band, we will continue our support of previously released titles and we’re hard at work on some unannounced projects that we think you’re going to be pumped about.

Though there's an investment firm backing them up, this essentially sounds like Harmonix is once again in control of Harmonix, something that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. 

Here's a loosely related video that I'm not going to bother explaining because it would take too long and the end joke wouldn't actually be that funny.

Staff
#2 Edited by Bobdaman18 (700 posts) -

wat 

its a christmas miracle!
#3 Posted by Sanitysend (76 posts) -

Good luck harmonix

#4 Posted by Dustpan (1686 posts) -
@Bobdaman18 said:
" wat "
YES
#5 Posted by Hailinel (22712 posts) -

Bossanova, indeed.

#6 Posted by Delta_Ass (3230 posts) -

Bossanova? This is Harmonix, not Polyphony Digital.

#7 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Super... nova?? O_o

#8 Posted by xxizzypop (576 posts) -

I'm all kinds of jazzed to see what Harmonix is up to. It might just be more of what they've always done, but I'd like to think they're hard at work at some crazy new IP.

#9 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

Bossanova?
More like...
Bassanova.
Get it? Because it's Rockband?

#10 Posted by Seraphim84 (400 posts) -

If we're gonna talk Ninja Turtles here, let's talk some goddamn  Ninja Turtles. 

"Smells like Bleecker"

#11 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -

Chevy NOVA!!!!!

#12 Posted by Goto10 (33 posts) -

Interesting, we'll see how this affects Harmonix's efforts from here on out or if at all.

#13 Posted by Ladnar (191 posts) -

Cowabunga dude!

#14 Posted by Pope (21 posts) -

Boy do I look excited about that Stacking Quick Look!

#15 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

Glad to see this play out this way, as it was my personal hope for what Harmonix would be up to. Been a fan of the studio since Amplitude, can't wait to see what comes next!

#16 Posted by sarahsdad (1037 posts) -
@Bobdaman18 said:
" its a christmas miracle! "
This.
#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

So John Drake gets to enjoy at least one more week of not being the Whiskey Media whipping boy.... 

He got lucky this time...

#18 Posted by Chris2KLee (2308 posts) -

Sounds good to me. While MTV might have given them some music industry connections, I'm sure Harmonix can keep going now that they are free of them.

#19 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

So refreshing to see a developer end up being able call their own shots. Could not be happier with the results.

#20 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -

Well thank god Activision didn't buy them.  23,950 Rock Band games a year may have over-saturated the market somewhat....

#21 Posted by angrygeometry (4 posts) -

this is very good news indeed!

#22 Posted by tourgen (4236 posts) -

I wouldn't break out the champagne yet.  It'll all depend on what the investment group has in mind.  These guys are bankers not gamers.  Making games isn't one of their goals, making money is.

Are they playing a tax game (minority business ownership taxes etc.)?  Are they planning on milking cash flow for a year then parting the studio out?  Or will they keep them afloat and bankroll a new project or two?  Who knows.  It will be interesting to watch though.

#23 Posted by Shuborno (935 posts) -

Great news. I hope this means that Pro Guitar DLC will extend far, far in to the future so a purchase of the Fender won't be wasteful. 

I also hope they experiment a bit with the music game format since it seems they can decide what they make.

#24 Posted by JuMP (87 posts) -

I'll be interested to see how this new arrangement plays out in future projects for Harmonix.

#25 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Good for them now their destiny is in their own hands.

#26 Posted by PLWolf (907 posts) -

It's a Festivus Miracle!

#27 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

I hope this goes well for them.

#28 Posted by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

Glad Harmonix found a buyer. Also, nice picture of Eric Pope.

#29 Posted by damnboyadvance (4054 posts) -

Hopefully, they'll find more success now.

#30 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I think Harmonix will do just fine on there own. They have yet to produce a poor game and looking forward to seeing what they will come out with next.

#31 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -

Yay!

#32 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Christmas miracle!

#33 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

I don't get the bossanova joke.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (22712 posts) -
#35 Posted by ghostNPC (755 posts) -

Interesting. Well, more control for those who are working on the games is always the best.

#36 Posted by SomethingClever (411 posts) -

I prefaced this article by saying "Good news everyone" and then proceeded to read it aloud in a Professor Farnsworth voice.  It made it even better!

#37 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Congratulations to Harmonix! I hope you guys can flourish and continue to crank out awesome, outside-the-box games. True leaders of this gaming generation.

#38 Posted by kagato (862 posts) -

Im glad this wasnt the end of Harmonix, ive been following them since Guitar Hero and Rockband is one of my most played titles.  I think the move from MTV games will be good for them, though i still dont understand why EA didnt want them just to annoy Activision.

#39 Posted by Stackboy (446 posts) -

I think this is good news? As long as Harmonix keeps making the same quality rhythm games, then I'm happy.

#40 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1854 posts) -

well, thats good news. I think.

#41 Posted by AgentMOO (186 posts) -

Good luck harmonix! Looking forward to see the direction the company will take with their current and future platforms.

#42 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Congratulations and Merry Christmas, Harmonix! :)

#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14313 posts) -

I have zero interest in your games, but glad to see people get to keep their jobs.

#44 Posted by WpnX (10 posts) -

Horray!

#45 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

Awesome! 

Rock Band: Fuck the Man on store shelves October 2011!

#46 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -
#47 Posted by Gerhabio (1969 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" I have zero interest in your games, but glad to see people get to keep their jobs. "
: /
#48 Posted by Vaancor (246 posts) -

It's a Christmas  miracle! YAY!

#49 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (943 posts) -

#50 Posted by angelfan91 (891 posts) -

Yay!!! Now they can fully devote their time to Rock Band: Rush....YOU SHUT UP IT'S GONNA HAPPEN!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.