XBLA Pricing...

#1 Edited by Chaser324 (6254 posts) -

Anyone else think it's ridiculous? When I heard the guys mention on the Bombcast that the individual games might be 800 points ($10) a piece, I thought they must be mistaken, but much to my dismay, I logged onto the XBLA to discover that they were in fact correct. The wrapper title is free to download and each individual title is 800 space bucks a piece. Who would really be willing to pay $10 for Scrabble or Battleship? Anyone?

#2 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -
#3 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

They are pretty ridiculous, especially when they are rather limited in some cases...ie. Scrabble features no SP vs AI play. Maybe I don't want to play online, or against a local friend (and honestly...local play is stupid, I'll just pull out the real board game instead). I think it would be nice if they released a pack featuring all 4 games for 2000MS points. If they did something like that, I may actually consider picking up these games.

#4 Posted by MB (11884 posts) -

Peggle direct from PopCap for the PC...$2.50 with code blitz1.  XBLA, $10.  What else needs to be said?

#5 Posted by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -
MB said:
"Peggle direct from PopCap for the PC...$2.50 with code blitz1.  XBLA, $10.  What else needs to be said?"

Agreed.
#6 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
MB said:
"Peggle direct from PopCap for the PC...$2.50 with code blitz1.  XBLA, $10.  What else needs to be said?"
That is also a special deal that happened just recently after being available for over 2 years on PC...before that you could buy it direct from PopCap (and it will cost as much at the end of March) for the lovely sum of $20. So pshhh on your XBLA hate, not to mention the fact that the XBLA version does feature some new MP modes which are actually quite fun. ...damn Star Wars Nazi!
#7 Posted by Chaser324 (6254 posts) -

Yeah, I don't think that Peggle argument is really valid. The XBLA version of Peggle is different than the one that PopCap is selling on PC and it is much more deserving of $10 than a feature deficient release of Scrabble.

#8 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I still can't believe there is no AI for SP in Scrabble. They totally lost a possible purchase from me because of that...I love Scrabble, but not so much if I can only play with myself. :P

#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
MB said:
Come March 31st, it's $20 again. $10 if you get it from Steam, which is the same price as the XBLA version.
#10 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

That's a ridiculous price!

#11 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Also, for achievement whores, let me go over one thing.

Family Game Night is packaged as one game. You download the free 250MB file which is the main-frame for all of the games. Whenever you download an actual game, you have to load up the "Family Game Night" program, not just "Battleship." From this program you can select one of the seven titles. The problem here translates to achievements. They are one big 1,400 point pile of 70 achievements. So if you buy Battleship just to enjoy it, and want to get higher completion, you'll have to download the 6 other titles.

Just to do the math, 800 points a game is obviously $10. $70 for seven damn board games. Guess what? On the Wii/PS2, this same title, Family Fucking Game Night, sells for $20-30.

FUCK YOU EA.

#12 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

Doesn't seem so bad, would be nice if they were cheaper but isnt that how much the real board games cost?  Those don't come with AI either, and online play is pretty cool because how many times are you gonna find someone wiling to play scrabble in your house?  Especially if you live in the south where people can't read.  But I think 5 bucks is more appropriate and also, you get to choose the games you want, though at 20 bucks on the wii you already get all of them.  Plus no one is online on the wii and the PS2.  depends on what you want, it might be worth it to you.  For me, those games suck anyways.  Lets get some parker brothers going, Hasbro makes boring games, except they did put out Roller Coaster Tycoon, bring that to XBLA.

#13 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
TheHBK said:
"Doesn't seem so bad, would be nice if they were cheaper but isnt that how much the real board games cost?  Those don't come with AI either, and online play is pretty cool because how many times are you gonna find someone wiling to play scrabble in your house?  Especially if you live in the south where people can't read.  But I think 5 bucks is more appropriate and also, you get to choose the games you want, though at 20 bucks on the wii you already get all of them.  Plus no one is online on the wii and the PS2.  depends on what you want, it might be worth it to you.  For me, those games suck anyways.  Lets get some parker brothers going, Hasbro makes boring games, except they did put out Roller Coaster Tycoon, bring that to XBLA."
$5 would be a fair price, but still, they should have released them individually. I don't want to download a free 250MB program and then have to pay $10 for each "install key." That's essentially what it is.

If in any way you think what's going on is fair, you're part of the problem.
#14 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"TheHBK said:
"Doesn't seem so bad, would be nice if they were cheaper but isnt that how much the real board games cost?  Those don't come with AI either, and online play is pretty cool because how many times are you gonna find someone wiling to play scrabble in your house?  Especially if you live in the south where people can't read.  But I think 5 bucks is more appropriate and also, you get to choose the games you want, though at 20 bucks on the wii you already get all of them.  Plus no one is online on the wii and the PS2.  depends on what you want, it might be worth it to you.  For me, those games suck anyways.  Lets get some parker brothers going, Hasbro makes boring games, except they did put out Roller Coaster Tycoon, bring that to XBLA."
$5 would be a fair price, but still, they should have released them individually. I don't want to download a free 250MB program and then have to pay $10 for each "install key." That's essentially what it is.If in any way you think what's going on is fair, you're part of the problem."

I never said it was fair, just not so bad, in essece kinda bad.  I for one don't think it is worth the price and if I did I would have bought some games already.  For me to buy any of those games, they would have to be 40 points.  Seriously, playing Scrabble on your 360?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.