Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hatred

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 01, 2015

A controversial, dual-joystick shooter from Polish developer, Destructive Creations.

Bought Hatred today! Is it for you?

• 103 results
    BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

it seemed like the only reason the game is doing so well is a lot of people protesting the protesting.

game looks incridbly bland and boring. if I reallly want to kill innocents I can do it in gta 10 years ago. no thanks

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By falling_fast

i watched the ending on youtube. it's pretty funny.

it's even funnier that this troll game in which the worst thing u can do is set people on fire got an AO rating while mortal kombat x is somehow rated M

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Maybe this is the wrong place for a post concerning opinion, dunno, but this game seems like it's an average experience wrapped in a manufactured controversy that was exactly what the creator(s) wanted. If that's the case, good on them for getting buzz for their game. There have been games like this forever (Postal, GTA, Manhunt, etc.) and they aren't going away. I see no reason for them to. I may play it on a sell someday, probably not, good for anyone that wanted this kind of game and got it. There are way worse things out there than naughty video games.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

which I offer no comment on either way since it's up to others to interpret that how they want

well that's not really true is it? If I were to paint you like, let's say, a paedophile because you like animé it would just be an unsubstantiated lie. Saying people should do with that what they will is rubbish if it isn't based on anything. Leaving my claims up to interpretation is ridiculous, there is nothing to interpret and suggesting there is is almost as slanderous as my initial claim.

people still thinking this guy is some kind of nazi only proves that you should be extremely cautious making these kind of claims or suggestions, because clearly some people aren't interested in researching the truth for themselves. Like how crazy would it be if I wouldn't distance myself from such a statement like the above because 'i'm letting people make up their own minds'? As if either explanation is valid...

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game's creators wanted to stir up controversy to push sales and an overly sensitive media / consumer base helped them do it.

cLoudForest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By cLoudForest

@clush Read the actual story in question or at least the original post I made about it before running off with hypotheticals about paedophilia that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. The guy in question never denied following the far-right group on Facebook, so your whole tangent seems to be what is based, as you put it, on "rubbish".

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clush Read the actual story in question or at least the original post I made about it before running off with hypotheticals about paedophilia that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. The guy in question never denied following the far-right group on Facebook.

I'm aware of the story. Anti-islam does not equal far right and far right does not equal nazism. Also a like on facebook doesn't mean support. I'm not running off with anything more than you are, except I'll happily admit my hypothetical claim is bullshit... and that's really not up for interpretation.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The destructible enviroments and the lighting are quite impressive. Too bad that there doesn't seem to be a wide variation of weapons and that there's a respawn token idea. I'll pass on it for now, might pick it up in a bundle or something.

juxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like a really big part of the game is the execution animations and those will get old after a while. Plus I dont want to have to run around to all corners of the map chasing after fleeing NPCs when theres no danger of actually losing. It just seems like it would become a chore.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By august

I may buy this eventually (when I have time to play it) and probably write about it. This doesn't seem any different than a myriad of other games where you play crazy people killing others. In the 90s, actually, this would've just been considered generic, and no one would care about it.

That's the modern day media for ya, though. Incite unnecessary reactions by people and kids who do as they're told and then watch as a bunch of people regurgitate it like it's legitimate fact.

Yeah those carefree 90s... when Mortal Kombat and Night Trap and Doom were getting discussed in Senatorial meetings. Were you even old enough to play games back then?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've seen, it's really bland and boring looking. I do find it interesting that it's success is total proof of "No such thing as bad publicity"

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's probably just one of the few games on my Steam wishlist that I added in anticipation for buying it when it goes on sale, but end up not buying it when it actually goes on sale because more interesting games will be on sale at the moment.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By maginnovision

@viciousbearmauling said:

From what I've seen, it's really bland and boring looking. I do find it interesting that it's success is total proof of "No such thing as bad publicity"

I think that's even more true for media(movies, games, music), as opposed to say a politician, or a book.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I imagine most people aren't going to end up playing this thing, but everyone should watch this.

Loading Video...

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Not for me, mostly because it looks repetitive and dull for a mindless shooter. As for the violence, I've seen much worse in video games and other media. Yes, the whole "you play as a serial killer" vibe is stupid, it's no worse than other games the video games media defended back when Manhunt and others were stirring up controversy.

FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm planning on getting it later when the performance issues are patched and some cool mods come out for it.

darbish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By darbish

@doctordonkey: That's kinda funny since the whole scenario is so absurd, but also really fucking stupid. Also poorly animated. You can tell it's an indie game from Eastern Europe.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a weird game, it's too cheesy to be taken seriously, but also too serious to be funny.
    I think I would have preferred an all out comedy/spoof tone to the thing, taking the piss out of the edginess half of it is going for instead of this middling bore fest.
    The engine they made doesn't seem half bad though, some of the lighting seems pretty, the gameplay looks competent, I've seen some atrocious Unity made games at this point that this looks like GTAV by comparison, it's just too bad they didn't go for something that would be a bit more fun. or have a better story then what I do when I'm bored at the end of a GTA run and I don't plan to save my progress.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

it's even funnier that this troll game in which the worst thing u can do is set people on fire got an AO rating while mortal kombat x is somehow rated M

My guess is it's because of the context, rather than the violence itself.

I dunno, this game seems like the video game equivalent of a bowl of white bread soaked in water with some really moody lighting and generic-ass metal. Except even that sounds more entertaining.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: So it looks like a bad movie I would find in the bowels of Netflix. I was already uninterested but now I'm even less interested in playing this.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested in it at all, but I do wonder why I can play Hotline Miami and think its amazing and then see Hatred and think it looks like trash. On the surface level they seem to be dealing with fairly similar stuff.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@original_hank: Tone and context? I haven't played Hatred so I can't safely say for sure, but Hotline Miami had something going for it other than shlock in how it portrayed violence. You could argue that it did not do more than Hatred is doing, but it at least tried. The marketing campaign of Hatred is capitalizing on shlock, which is super lame. Maybe the game is better, but if it's the part of the game they wanted to put foward, I would really doubt the game does something more.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

And yes, GTA does encourage you to kill civilians as in 5 there are those side-missions with Trevor.

This is false every single one of those mission is him killing gangs, weaponized hipsters, and the army none of them are civilians except the hipsters but even in that case they attack him as do the rest of the groups.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#75 chaser324  Moderator

I don't really care to support a game that marketed itself almost exclusively by courting controversy. I don't know to what extent it's accurate to the final product, but when your initial trailer depicts the game as being almost entirely angsty one-liners and the brutal murder of innocent civilians, I don't need to see anything else. Your game is gross, and I don't want it.

morelikelames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I can't help but feel if this was some schlocky slasher movie no one would say a word about it because we've outgrown that with film. For my preferences with dumb horror movies they have to either be good or so bad they are good. Neither of these seem to fit Hatred which is why I'll probably never play it. In the world of expression the only thing that really offends me is being boring.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august: I meant enthusiast press, not pop culture media.

Unfortunately we can't have a discussion because you've already resorted to trollish insults (I don't know you- so I'm not sure why you think that's cool) which means you don't know how to talk to people civilly.

Please do not reply to me anymore. Thank you.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: trevor's already a more interesting character as he kinda feels like a more primal/elemental force of death ala Anton Chigurh (though i'm probably reading too much into it)

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i watched the ending on youtube. it's pretty funny.

Goddamn, you're totally right.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I just watched the ending on YouTube as well. Nothing about this game looks appealing to me, at all. I'm not sure which is worse, the writing, voice acting, or animation?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Thanks for reminding me that I have yet to watch No Country for Old Men.
    I think that in a case like this, there is really no overthinking. The releases of games like Hatred are, if anything, opportunities for reflection, both personal, in terms of just what it is that we ultimately seek in video games, and industry-wide, in terms of how games like this should be ultimately handled. It also sparks questions about who we trust in these kinds of scenarios.

It's worth remembering that from the point of view of people that don't play videogames, a lot of games look like 'Hatred' at first glance. One of my favourite games of the previous gen, MGR:Revengeance, features the MC literally slashing his enemies into little bits, and it would be difficult for me to justify enjoying this kind of entertainment to someone completely new. Outside of the fact that the enemies fight back, what is it exactly that makes this kind of entertainment more 'acceptable' compared to someone enjoying Hatred?

Don't get me wrong, from what I have seen of it, Hatred seems like a bad to mediocre videogame, which will probably be almost completely forgotten in about a months time, despite all the controversy leading up to its release.

bhlaab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

I keep finding the postal comparisons overreaching, it reminds me more of loaded, which was hilarious, dumb and ultra violent with an undead pirate cowboy, Hatred just seems kinda poor. The idea that supporting some sort of message that has been attributed to the game, with no semblance of what this supposed message is by buying it as well seems gross and judgemental. We lived through a world with manunt, we will survive.

Loading Video...

Also great terrible nighties music.

Hatred is a complete ripoff of Postal. Postal ONE, that is. The first Postal was very much a "dark and gritty" game about a homicidal psychopath mowing down civilians and anyone attempting to stop him and is played from the top-down perspective. There's an execution animation for people on the ground, the protagonist says 'badass' (and not necessarily intended to be funny) one-liners, and in between levels you get creepy glimpses into the protagonist's mental instability.

Anybody who says Postal has more of a 'satirical' or 'goofy' edge to it than Hatred is probably talking about Postal 2, which was (smartly) modeled to be more of an FPS version of GTA3.

Loading Video...

Of course even though Postal 1 and Hatred are pretty much the exact same thing, Postal 1 is rated M and is not banned on twitch and doesn't have polygon.com thinkpieces calling it 'toxic'. Let's attribute that to the grandfather clause.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#83  Edited By SubwayD

Hey! Don't mind me as I just wade in mid-conversation and out myself as one of the people who bought Hatred! Doing so probably puts me on a list somewhere, right? :P

As for the game itself? Well, it's exactly what it sounds like. Isometric shooter with a hilariously grim-dark theme and lashings of pointless ultra violence. Mechanically, it's actually rather well done. Destructible environment, solid shooting mechanics and a surprisingly effective visual and sound design. It's just, you know, trying to justify the whole cop killing murder spree aspect. While everyone else is trying to be high-minded about it, I must say I'm amazed and amused by it's absolute commitment to being the most misanthropic game possible. The whole thing looks and sounds like it's this angsty American teen fever dream, as imagined by an adult from a different culture. Sort of like the weirdness that Life is Strange did for "indie" kids.

I'll tell you one thing I'm enjoying without the need to slather it in irony would be the open maps. Mundane urban settings fascinate me in games. Embarrassingly, it's how I managed to stomach the likes of CoJ: The Cartel or Postal 2. I'll have to look into console commands to see if there's an invisibility option or something as it's hard to explore when everyone is going nuts.

For what it's worth, I've yet to actually try and "play" the game by it's own rules, instead just sprinting about exploring and trying to avoid conflict, which is actually quite fun it itself. That said, as someone who enjoyed the Alien/Zombie Shooter series, along with being a Postal apologist and already being pretty enamoured by the absurd aesthetics of Hatred, I get the feeling that I'm not going to have much problem with the game.

So... yeah. Hatred!

It's amusing that the initial reaction was lots of hand wringing, upset and jeering. Now it's about trying to see who can be the most coolly indifferent. Probably should have gone with that in the first place?

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subwayd said:

It's amusing that the initial reaction was lots of hand wringing, upset and jeering. Now it's about trying to see who can be the most coolly indifferent. Probably should have gone with that in the first place?

The tabloid games media is constantly looking for the next inane scandal to blow up to absurd levels and the devs exploited that fact for all it was worth. Good for them. Nothing much else to say other than that.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There was a time when I really liked Loaded. I bet that version of me would get a kick out of this game. But I'm currently trying to wrap my head around massive chalice and the witcher, so no thanks.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it even possible to beat this as a complete pacifist?

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@noodleunit said:
    @artelinarose said:

Please consider what kind of messages you're supporting when you give media like this your money.

I'm supporting freedom of expression. If you don't like it, you have the freedom to not play it.

The only thing falling back on "freedom of expression" really says is that it's a concession admitting that it's awful, just that it's not literally illegal to say it

there's a lot of support of freedom of expression in video games when the dev is a literal nazi who makes a game about white terrorism, but girls in fifa????? NO

Kind of fucked up to call someone a nazi without proof, just saying..

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By Hunter5024

The tone of this game is just awful, and I could see myself possibly enjoying that at the games expense but it'd get old pretty quick. If it were a fun twin stick shooter then maybe, but it looks like a pretty boring one. I prefer a more arcade style approach to that genre. I'm not taking any kind of moral stand against this game, it just looks like it sucks.

If you're looking for a fun twin stick shooter go get Crimsonland or something.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By cikame

I'm kind of with you, i saw some gameplay and had to try it for myself, and i'm actually impressed with some of the stuff it does.
    Graphically for an isometric game it looks really great, post process effects are used very well to add cinematic flare, textures look good up close when the camera zooms in, fire effects are great and it has way more destruction than it should have.
    Obviously i'm not going to defend the subject matter or even the gameplay, as a twin stick shooter it's not as responsive as others in the genre, but the floaty aiming fits with the asshole dude gone postal setting and he has a nice dive roll which i always like. Shooting unarmed people is what it is, clearing areas of people as side objectives gives you direction to explore the levels which are large and often have well decorated buildings to destroy, but the police response is where the challenge is, if you're caught by a police raid when outside it's really tough to survive, some civilians will also pick up guns which can catch you off guard.

It has lots of nice little details which i wasn't expecting, the quality of the animation is also suprising, somehow this developer has better animators than some other larger studios, overall i'm just suprised.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Forgetting all the other BS surrounding this game, it just doesn't look like it's worth my time. Plenty of other stuff to play in my backlog.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine most people aren't going to end up playing this thing, but everyone should watch this.

Loading Video...

GODDAMNIT! You beat me to it!

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll buy it as soon as I take up vaping.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rasdaan said:

Have you tried Hatred? Do you plan on getting it soon? How was your experience?

Discuss.

This thread was obviously created for the purpose of inviting people who either have played the game or who are interested in playing the game to discuss their experience with the game and/or their interest in the game. It was obviously NOT created as an invitation for trolls with no interest in or experience with the game to come here and start flame wars. I am not sure why so many people here have failed to recognize this but I find it pretty lame.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get it once it's like 3 bucks or something

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By FrostyRyan

@bceagles128: He asks if you've tried it and the thread title is "is it for you"

Many people are explaining why they don't want to try it and why it isn't for them.

Don't be mad just because the majority hate this game's existence or thinks it looks like crap. Everyone's expressing their opinion here. Deal with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.