Iconic Atari Game Haunted House Returning To Consoles

Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

I love eyeballs. I'm a big fan of eyes. I use them every day! I look at stuff. I... process visual information into data that I can further assimilate into my being in order to facilitate interaction with my environment. All kinds of things!  That's why I love Haunted House, the classic Atari 2600 game that allowed players to play as, you guessed it, a pair of eyeballs.

This is the best part of Haunted House. Not so much the part where you play the game, but those eyeballs are sick!

Well, technically, Haunted House was released well before I was born, so I never played Haunted House in its prime. But I do love the way it looks, even all these years later. I mean, they had to create a game set inside a dark, spooky haunted house, and they created an environment that was so dark, all you could see were the whites of your characters eyes. That's awesome! And it would have been really effective if it didn't look like you were playing a game as a pair of walking eyeballs.

== TEASER ==The point is that walking eyeballs, made by The Old Atari, are awesome. The New Atari has clearly realized this, and is preparing to capitalize on eyeball fans worldwide with a new downloadable Haunted House game. Coming this September to the PC, XBLA and Wii, the new Haunted House looks to be a kid-friendly adaptation of the original Haunted House game. Players will take control of a young boy set inside of the haunted house looking for the pieces of a broken urn. You'll still dodge bats and ghosts, but it sounds like there will be more than just three identical floors of house to explore, as you'll maneuver your way through towers, catacombs, and tombs, as well as the titular haunted house.

I imagine this game is designed to target parents who remember playing the original game on their Atari 2600. Kids can explore the haunted house while parents teach kids about why eyeballs are awesome. Gotta learn 'em young, right? We'll see how it turns out when the game is available for download this September.  

#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

I love eyeballs. I'm a big fan of eyes. I use them every day! I look at stuff. I... process visual information into data that I can further assimilate into my being in order to facilitate interaction with my environment. All kinds of things!  That's why I love Haunted House, the classic Atari 2600 game that allowed players to play as, you guessed it, a pair of eyeballs.

This is the best part of Haunted House. Not so much the part where you play the game, but those eyeballs are sick!

Well, technically, Haunted House was released well before I was born, so I never played Haunted House in its prime. But I do love the way it looks, even all these years later. I mean, they had to create a game set inside a dark, spooky haunted house, and they created an environment that was so dark, all you could see were the whites of your characters eyes. That's awesome! And it would have been really effective if it didn't look like you were playing a game as a pair of walking eyeballs.

== TEASER ==The point is that walking eyeballs, made by The Old Atari, are awesome. The New Atari has clearly realized this, and is preparing to capitalize on eyeball fans worldwide with a new downloadable Haunted House game. Coming this September to the PC, XBLA and Wii, the new Haunted House looks to be a kid-friendly adaptation of the original Haunted House game. Players will take control of a young boy set inside of the haunted house looking for the pieces of a broken urn. You'll still dodge bats and ghosts, but it sounds like there will be more than just three identical floors of house to explore, as you'll maneuver your way through towers, catacombs, and tombs, as well as the titular haunted house.

I imagine this game is designed to target parents who remember playing the original game on their Atari 2600. Kids can explore the haunted house while parents teach kids about why eyeballs are awesome. Gotta learn 'em young, right? We'll see how it turns out when the game is available for download this September.  

#2 Edited by Videogames (257 posts) -

This game really used to scare me.

#3 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

Please bring back outlaws then too THANK YOU INTERNET MAN

#4 Posted by Marcsman (3116 posts) -

Oh man I actually played it.
#5 Edited by Jiquk (203 posts) -

Holy crap where is my remake of  Oink!?

#6 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

That is not a young boy. That is a twenty year old man.

#7 Posted by PLWolf (920 posts) -

YES! Now give us a new Adventure and I'll be a happy man. Well, happier, anyway.

#8 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

....What?

#9 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

interesting , wonder how it will turn out
@supermike6
said:

" That is not a young boy. That is a twenty year old man. "
this...
#10 Posted by Marcsman (3116 posts) -
@TheWolf619 said:
"YES! Now give us a new Adventure and I'll be a happy man. Well, happier, anyway. "

Ah nothing beat the square and the sword. Good memories.
#11 Posted by ApertureSilence (1154 posts) -

I couldn't help but misread that as "Ironic Atari Game", which would have also made sense.

#12 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -

This looks crappy.

Oh, it's on the Wii? 

Then it looks pretty good!

#13 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

played it back in its day, its charm lied in the eyeballs. 
might have got an hour or twos worth of play before you were bored with it. 

no real nostalgia for it other than "oh yeah, those eyes."

#14 Posted by DeadMonkeys (821 posts) -

Jenn Frank must be stoked / terrified.

#15 Posted by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

Atari is really desperate if they think this will be a big hit. Then again, never underestimate the power of nostalgia...

#16 Edited by CouncilSpectre (329 posts) -

I hope they give more 2600 games this treatment.  3D Yar's revenge!!

#17 Posted by Vampir (129 posts) -

Wait, you can see stuff? That's not very haunted house. 

#18 Posted by MrHammeh (199 posts) -

Made me feel old when it said "30 years later".  I remember playing this as a kid.  =\

#19 Posted by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -

I like that new Atari introduction.

#20 Posted by lewigi2012 (49 posts) -
@MrHammeh said:
" Made me feel old when it said "30 years later".  I remember playing this as a kid.  =\ "

Technically it's 29 years and 7 months due to it being released in September this year (I hate it when companies screw with time! =P) but, yeh, that's a long time and it was weird for me to look at (and I'm 19!).

Looks like good fun though. Hopefully it'll just be a download off Steam/XBLA/WiiWare cus I wouldn't pay £40 for something like that.

#21 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -
#22 Posted by BigAlstevens83 (59 posts) -

Looks good and it will be interesting to play it on the Xbox.

#23 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1698 posts) -

I like the idea.
#24 Posted by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

Splatterhouse being remade.  Haunted House being remade.  Asteroids being made into a movie.

The time is right for Jungler HD.

#25 Posted by doe3879 (779 posts) -

artstyle is horrible

#26 Posted by glanesb (151 posts) -

would love to see 2600 remakes...what TRUE gamer would not?!?!

#27 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

They might as well make a new Adventure. 

...wait. They should make a new Adventure.

#28 Edited by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -

This piece of shovelware isn't worth a front page news article.

#29 Posted by Spence_5060 (321 posts) -

Is this gonna become a new trend? Remaking old games into 3D remakes that looks mediocre at best?

#30 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I remember that game not being any good...
#31 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -

i didnt played it when it came out but  when i was a kid parents bought me atari console and had this game , spend some good time with this

#32 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" Splatterhouse being remade.  Haunted House being remade.  Asteroids being made into a movie.  The time is right for Jungler HD. "
dude yes
#33 Posted by SinGulaR (2259 posts) -

I want a remake of Solaris. And Cosmic Space Ark.
#34 Posted by JediAutobot (200 posts) -

I look at this and think, if I could have this new game to the 6 yr old me, I'd freak out on how "life-like" it was.  Geez, it was like when I got my first GameBoy, no way they'd ever be able to do color!  Man, I'm glad for the games we have now.

#35 Posted by MeatSim (10765 posts) -

I want square eyeballs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.