Another one bites the dust

#1 Posted by JRock3x8 (250 posts) -

So the last great hope for mechs on consoles (other than Armored Core) was this neat little indie project called Hawken.

PFFT - hope crushed today as the devs come out with a VentureBeat article announcing they are PC F2P just like MWO.

And I let out a giant sigh of regret for my fallen mech genre... Say, MechAssault 2 will play on a 360, right? Oh yah - that game was terrible. Good Times.

#2 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Hey man. Free to Play doesn't mean low quality or no profit. I've been hankering for a good mech game and I imagine other people have been as well. This will turn out well, I think.

#3 Posted by Cronus42 (275 posts) -

I was always under the impression this was going to be a PC title. Also don't scare me like that, almost thought it had been cancelled entirely based on the title.

#4 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

This is actually great news. They will get the game out there from more people and will probably still make a killing. Look at how well TF2 does. I'm pretty sure this was PC only from the beginning like other said above...I already have my call sign secured. :-)

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

There are some great free to play games out there now, Tribes Ascend seems super awesome from what I've played of it.

#6 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

League of Legends is also thriving with that same business model. Don't count them out just because of something like that.

#7 Posted by mbr2 (566 posts) -

They never said that they we're gonna make it for consoles. They just said they wanted to.

#8 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@Kyreo: F2P just means "BR?" "jajajajaja"

@Cloudenvy: Eh, Legions is more faithful.

#9 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Boo to misleading thread titles.

#10 Posted by JRock3x8 (250 posts) -

@mbr2: sorry you're dead wrong. Go back and read the early interviews. They specifically said they were making this game for XBLA and PSN. They wanted to make a mech combat game for the CoD crowd.

Hard for me to see this as anything other than total failure. So who is at these damn publishers that keep turning down mech games?

#11 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

Yeah, I don't like F2P models in general and I prefer my gaming on a console nowadays ... so this game is pretty much dead to me. =(

#12 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

@JRock3x8 said:

@mbr2: sorry you're dead wrong. Go back and read the early interviews. They specifically said they were making this game for XBLA and PSN. They wanted to make a mech combat game for the CoD crowd.

Hard for me to see this as anything other than total failure. So who is at these damn publishers that keep turning down mech games?

Back in October they said "I cannot comment on [platforms] yet." Granted, I haven't been keeping TOO close an eye on the game, but I don't recall them ever saying it was targeted at XBLA and PSN. I only remember PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.