"Hawken" Official Gameplay Trailer

#1 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3187 posts) -

Your opinion from this semi-sized amount of gameplay? I personally don't know why people are so astounded by it. The environments and combat seem rather drab, dead, and dry. There's no destructibility, no chaos, no tumultuous activity.  Yeah, it's made by 9 people but that doesn't justify what a game truly is, does it?
#2 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Looks awesome as fuck.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@august said:
" Looks awesome as fuck. "
I second that.
#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
"   
  Your opinion from this semi-sized amount of gameplay? I personally don't know why people are so astounded by it. The environments and combat seem rather drab, dead, and dry. There's no destructibility, no chaos, no tumultuous activity.  Yeah, it's made by 9 people but that doesn't justify what a game truly is, does it? "
It looks awesome. That is all. Plus WORK IN PROGRESS. Stop judging games when we JUST get some gameplay footage. 
#5 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3187 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

"   

Your opinion from this semi-sized amount of gameplay? I personally don't know why people are so astounded by it. The environments and combat seem rather drab, dead, and dry. There's no destructibility, no chaos, no tumultuous activity.  Yeah, it's made by 9 people but that doesn't justify what a game truly is, does it? "
It looks awesome. That is all. Plus WORK IN PROGRESS. Stop judging games when we JUST get some gameplay footage.  "
Work-in-progress or not, people are still wowed by it and I don't know why. Besides, it's my opinion.
#6 Posted by august (3827 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3: I'm not sure what your complaint about the game is exactly. What would you change and/or add?
#7 Posted by warxsnake (2638 posts) -

I'd maybe tweak that FOV. It's slightly narrow/disorienting. Looks great otherwise

#8 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

in the future, everything is pipes and wires.

#9 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @august said:
I second that. "
I third that. And it looks pretty amazing for a game being made by 9 people.
#10 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I REALLY like the way the inside of the mech and the HUD in general look.  But yeah, never really liked mech games and probably never will unless something truly revolutionary comes out that is a mech game.

#11 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -

So a game has to have explosions and crumbling walls every 5 seconds to be good? 

I hate this generation of Call of Duty obsessed fratboys.

#12 Posted by Toxin066 (3256 posts) -

I'm impressed.

#13 Posted by Gunharp (336 posts) -

It's a real sweet piece of media, I'm looking forward to more.

#14 Posted by ArcLyte (881 posts) -

jaw on the floor.

#15 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

Unreal Tournament 3 with mechs? 
This looks awesome!

#16 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

Wow I have no idea that this game's about but does it ever look awesome. 

I really hope this comes to consoles because my PC can't run anything.

#17 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Oh my.  This looks like more or less what I've always wanted out of a mech game.  A more fast-paced, thrilling version of Mechwarrior.

#18 Posted by Marz (5643 posts) -

Mechwarrior 5 plz :(

#19 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" So a game has to have explosions and crumbling walls every 5 seconds to be good?   I hate this generation of Call of Duty obsessed fratboys. "
Call of Duty doesn't have crumbling walls. It does, however, have explosions and a washed out color pallet. Kinda like this game. This game kinda looks like it would appeal to people who liked COD. Does that bother you? Most of that preview was explosions. You have something against explosions? They're for stupid people? Stop trolling this game, dude.
#20 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

Well I think it looks fuckin' boss.

#21 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3: I'm with you. It looks fine, and it's really impressive that this is the work of only nine people, but I don't get why some are amazed. It's a video game that has mechs and runs on Unreal. It seems to work as that, but there is nothing that stands out about it to me.
#22 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Looks great. Can't wait to play this - there is nothing wrong with deathmatch with mechs.

#23 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" @Tru3_Blu3: I'm with you. It looks fine, and it's really impressive that this is the work of only nine people, but I don't get why some are amazed. It's a video game that has mechs and runs on Unreal. It seems to work as that, but there is nothing that stands out about it to me. "
Yo its the HUD. The HUD is like a million little blinky things, its great.
#24 Posted by Ghostin (369 posts) -

As a fan of robot on robot violence, I'm really looking forward to this.

#25 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Three0neFive said:
" So a game has to have explosions and crumbling walls every 5 seconds to be good?   I hate this generation of Call of Duty obsessed fratboys. "
Call of Duty doesn't have crumbling walls. It does, however, have explosions and a washed out color pallet. Kinda like this game. This game kinda looks like it would appeal to people who liked COD. Does that bother you? Most of that preview was explosions. You have something against explosions? They're for stupid people? Stop trolling this game, dude. "
Quite the opposite, actually. He was decrying the game because it "doesn't have enough explosions". I think it looks pretty fucking great actually.
#26 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@awesomeusername said:
" @Axxol said:
" @august said:
I second that. "
I third that. And it looks pretty amazing for a game being made by 9 people. "
I fourth that, the concept of a mech game is old, but this is totally fresh to me. We've been getting too many FPS games in war scenarios, finally a good mech shooter, and the sound design whoo.
#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver: WOAH WOAH WOAH THERE BUDDY! What's with this username you have going  on there? I don't like this man. Seems like we're going to have a problem. 
#28 Posted by EvGar (132 posts) -

I could just really go for a mech game right about now, and this could potentially scratch that itch.

#29 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Yeah it looks crazy. 

I would hope they'd have a hardcore mode as well, that would be awesome.

#30 Posted by MisterDunlap (245 posts) -

I didn't know anything about this game until now, but I must say, it looks like it has a massive amount of potential, and quite frankly, looks like a whole lot of fun. Here's to unexpected gems.

#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i hope it'll have some gameplay depth.. things to do and places to go. not just run around a couple of buildings shooting and getting shot.. 

real objectives and some landscape would be great

#32 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Yeah man, that game looks pretty amazing.

#33 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I want to play that.

#34 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

It's funny how people have this imaginary perfect awesome videogame in their heads that they compare every other game to.

I love the environments and I think it's one of the biggest things going for it. The dirty Ghost in the Shell-inspired Hong Kong cyberpunk setting is something rarely utilized in games. Gameplay-wise, sure it looks like mechs jumping around shooting eachother. Is there any other more compelling modern mech shooter game you see out there that you're comparing this to?

#35 Posted by SafetyFist (24 posts) -

After just finding out about this game 10 minutes ago, I must say I am fucking excited to try that out. My only fear is bugs and glitch problems with such a small independent team.

#36 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

Well first there's a bunch of people that have been waiting on a new mech combat game for quite some time, second a large part of the team worked on the late Project Offset, and third what they've made there only took 7 months. For a small indie team that is a LOT of game to get out there in that short amount of time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.