Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hawken

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 14, 2014

Hawken is a free to play, multiplayer-only first-person shooter featuring enormous mechs and micro-transactions from independent studio Adhesive Games.

NDA is lifted: pour your heart out

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Well, it seems the NDA is no longer in effect for all the Hawken players. Anyone interested in leaving their opinions here, feel free to do so!

Personally I can't figure out where I stand on this. I love it because it's easily accessible for a mech-game and it does have a lot of options. Matches are pretty easy to come by and it feels like they never linger too long. The only downside, for me, is that it feels almost like a dudebro (I want to say CoD-y) iteration of a mech game. I may be completely off base about that last assumption, but I just can't shake that feeling.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By mscupcakes

Downloading it right now, I'm pretty excited.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think arcade-y is the word you're thinking of, not "dudebro." I'm just going off video I've seen online, as I haven't played it, so I could be just talking nonsense.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@MooseyMcMan: no, you're definitely on the mark and that's absolutely the word I should have used. Thanks!

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ervonymous

I played it during the alpha and didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Maybe I ended up on the close quarters maps too often, cramped back alleys weren't that fun even as a mobile scout.

I'm afraid they're designing maps too much around the sniper rifles, I'd have to see more of them to know.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By psylah

The game is dope. Can't wait to strap on an oculus rift and go to town.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Bollard

I had Alpha 2 access and fucked up and missed it. Waiting for the game to actually load up instead of giving me some Manifest error so I can have a good thrash around. It looks amazing and the EDGE preview was really favourable, and coming from liking MechWarrior Online's super slow style of gameplay I'm excited to see how it maps to a more fast paced setting. I can genuinely see Mech becoming the new setting for FPSes. We went from WW2 to Modern Warfare style settings, so why not Mechs next?

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phampire

I had fun playing the alpha 2, but I only played two matches, downloading the new client now. It's definitely a more arcade take on the mech genre, at least mechwarrior online is coming out so we get the best of both worlds. I'm just happy that mech games have come back.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By envane

downloading now , its been good so far , keen to play more , liek a good mix of armored core and mechwarrior (in terms of combat) .

now i just have to fin an excuse to not play the planetside 2 beta , which is damn sweet too , free to play fps is getting some good variety now its exciting.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By 49th

It's a lot of fun, I think they should work more on balance though, some snipers just wreck everything.

I feel like they also need somewhere to go where you can restock on special items, once you use all of them in a life you kind of have nothing to do except shoot at guys.

It's fun to re-spec your mech too and it's nice that it doesn't cost anything (I think). Personally I like putting everything into speed, dodging and healing and then running circles around everyone.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By murisan

DAMN this game is fun.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Syndrom

i would give an opinion if i could play it. Can't seem to get into games :(

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By murisan

@Syndrom said:

Hm, have any friends online? I was finally able to join by joining a friend's game. Haven't tried since. Played three games, pretty worth the effort. Their twitter says they're bringing up more servers as of ~1h ago.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funkydupe

How is it when compared to MechWarrior Online? I'd like to hear from someone who's tried both if possible.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dezztroy

Played during the alpha, didn't enjoy it much. I'll stick with Mechwarrior.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Itwastuesday

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard

@Funkydupe said:

How is it when compared to MechWarrior Online? I'd like to hear from someone who's tried both if possible.

MechWarrior is a classic Mech game with hulking mechs which take a huge pounding, have really low manoeuvrability and a huge arsenal. More strategy is required than your traditional FPS. Hawken is as close to COD as you can have a mech game without losing the authentic feel of driving a Mech. It's still a twitch based shooter, every mech has jump jets but there's no regenerating health and you still have to carefully place shots. It does have boosting and such as well. I too also have enjoyed MechWarrior more so far, although it'll be very much dependent on which style of shooter you're actually in to (plus I can't comment fairly on my enjoyment of Hawken having played very little).

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By psylah

@murisan said:

@Syndrom said:

Hm, have any friends online? I was finally able to join by joining a friend's game. Haven't tried since. Played three games, pretty worth the effort. Their twitter says they're bringing up more servers as of ~1h ago.

I can't connect to any servers either, through matchmaking or selecting an individual server.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ares42

Played a few game earlier today. I'd say the game is pretty good for what it is, but I'm just not into mechs enough to like it. It plays like a good old arcade shooter, but it's a tad too sluggish for my taste. I'm sure it's a great competitive shooter (as it's more tactical than your average shooter these days), but if you're just looking for something fun to blow off steam it's a tad too complex. Anyone that comes into the game without knowing what they're doing will be completely crushed by people who have figured out how to control their mechs efficiently.

It also doesn't help that it uses paid XP/money booster packs while haing a very slow progression curve. I played like 4-5 games and I'm not even halfway to levelling my first mech once (even doing really well in a few of the games).

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By project343

I don't really like it. It's in an odd middle ground where it isn't arcadey enough to be interesting and silly, and it isn't hardcore enough to have a ton of nuance.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Anomareh

My issues with it were mainly with how it played and the maps. The feedback is horrible. You can never tell if you're actually hitting someone and there's no feeling of impact. It's like you're running around shooting pellets at styrofoam. As someone else said, the maps were very cramped. I wish it went more Battlefield and less Call of Duty in that regard. It's like if they put tanks in any existing Call of Duty maps.

I was really excited about it and got put off. I probably won't check it out again until it launches.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Does it actually feel like you're in a robot, or is it just a weird FPS?

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Flushes

There is nothing especially mech-like about this game. It feels like unreal tournament 2004 with horrible negative mouse acceleration, low damage, and slow movement speed. There is no location damage, a lot of the weapons feel the same, and every map looks like it contains perhaps 7 different shades of grey.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ripelivejam

@Flushes said:

There is nothing especially mech-like about this game. It feels like unreal tournament 2004 with horrible negative mouse acceleration, low damage, and slow movement speed. There is no location damage, a lot of the weapons feel the same, and every map looks like it contains perhaps 7 different shades of grey.

that's so sad, was really looking forward to this. still want to give it a shot.

haven't read up on it much, how's mechwarrior online in comparison?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Akyho

I played the Alpha and got an idea what the game is and were it is going to go...its not for me.

Its an Arcade mech game akin to Gundam: Federation VS Zeon or Armored Core however FAR MORE grounded on the ground.

I dont see any improvements to it that would make me want to play it more. As I have games that fulfill that niche already. If my ps2 worked Id go and play Gundam: F VS Z as I said, or if I had the latest Armored Core Id play that.

So instead I meet all three into one and play this.

No Caption Provided

Super Deformed Gundam Capsule Fighter Online. I played the English version and the Japanese version...I am one of THOSE people.

Its not Hawken perse however they hit alot of similar marks.

It also DOES NOT HELP. I am also in the Mech Warrior Online Beta and my preference does sit with the more simulated mech experience, rather than a FPS Arena Mech game.

It is not a bad game and those who enjoy it now will surely enjoy it later, however I just dont have enthusiasm for it.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Etnos

Its visually impressive (thou the maps could be more lively, static mesh doesn't cut it anymore). Gameplay wise I found it quite simplistic, repetitive and boring... Hate to say it but its COD with Mechs. Doesn't really makes much sense to me you die/kill so quickly, kills all illusion you are in a Mech.

so yeah, its basically the usual team death mach with awkward movement, awkward mouse control, and visual sturation.

I was forgetting; the customization feels trivial weapons feel the same, I can't notice a lot of difference between them.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Flushes

@ripelivejam: Mechwarrior Online is very deliberate and punishing. The game features near-limitless customization, but it doesn't necessarily give you a lot of information regarding what constitutes effective mech builds or strategies. Also the game's relatively slow speed means getting caught out of position will get you killed in almost every case. Play it with groups of possible, because it is incredibly unforgiving to solo players, and especially so to new ones.

The game really is a simulation of piloting a totally unwieldy piece of machinery; expect to spend more time than you'd like poring over tonnage and weapon values and worrying about whether or not your ammunition is likely to explode if you place it in a certain part of your mech. Like Tribes: Ascend, there really isn't anything out there quite like it right now, which is reason alone to give it a try. I don't think the same can be said for Hawken.

The game's free-to-play model is also about as grind-focused as you'd expect, and it will take time in the trial mechs to even buy one of your own. If that kind of thing really turns you off, this game doesn't really offer anything of value to change your mind. The length of grind is much more linked to your success than in most F2P games, since winning teams divide up salvage from destroyed opponents, and destroyed mechs must be repaired and re-armed out of the game's currency. A few days of playing with a winning group will result in enough cash to sustain you practically forever, while losing repeatedly can net you almost nothing (and even be costly), so take that into account as well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ripelivejam

@Flushes: sounds terrific and at the same time i really have no one i can play it with. :(

back to figuring out how to install mw2 on windows 7

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@ripelivejam: you should make a windows 95 emulator. I would give nearly anything for Mechwarrior 2 again.

@Akyho: I was in a similar boat and got to explore both mechwarrior and this, and Mechwarrior just felt a lot more right. Still, when this game comes out I may buy it, depending on what they do with it.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Th3irdEye

I just played about 10 minutes of this and it seems alright so far, but isn't this supposed to support the Oculus Rift? The only thing I have a problem with right now is that the stereo 3D is messed up. The mouse cursor is rendered in 2d so it is not at the same depth as what you are looking at, causing it to be out of focus. All of the HUD elements in game, like enemy targets and the reticule, have the same problem and you can't focus on anything when you are trying to look at something that has three different depth values associated with it. They better redesign some of this stuff if they want it to work with correctly with the Oculus.

Jahbu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jahbu

This game is AMAAAAZING!!! Play for about a hour of so before you give up on it. There is a bit of a learning curve in terms on movement and pacing. I suspect this is because in most mech games you have swift movements...while in Hawken the mechs is move a bit clunky. Weapons have impact and actually feel like they do damage. Customizing is also well done, allowing you to choose from many different parts, gadgets and weapons. The games runs really smooth on my machine and I haven't had that many bugs yet. I'm so pumped for this game. I can't wait till it goes live. If you can get your hands on a beta key, your in for a kickass game.

Check out this gameplay/preview vid I did...hope you guys enjoy!

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By psylah

Patch that got pushed out halfway through the weekend fixed all my connection issues, was able to get in more gameplay of the energy-collecting, battleship-launching mode. It was pretty crazy, and I really enjoyed it.

I DO NOT like that they removed the hangar-style interface from the alpha main menu.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By mike

Played for an hour and then uninstalled it. The lack of feedback when shooting at enemies is a big problem...I was never quite sure if my attacks were effective or not, and the weapons just felt weak and ineffective. It needs work to become great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.