Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hawken

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 14, 2014

Hawken is a free to play, multiplayer-only first-person shooter featuring enormous mechs and micro-transactions from independent studio Adhesive Games.

Now that beta is open, thoughts?

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dark

I got a game or two in earlier today now that the beta is open and I have to say I was surprised, I was expecting the quite amazing graphics already (nothing ground breaking but damn good) however I am more surprised at the control. They seemed to have somehow hit both an arcade and simulation feel all at the same time. The mechs feel unresponsive when coming out of boosts which give them weight, at the same time when dashing left and right during fire fights things feel very responsive whilst still maintaining the weighty feel of the mech. I can imagine things get different with the larger mechs and this is all going off the first game on the standard mech.

The FTP thing so far doesn't seem to be too intrusive, I took down a brawler with the level 1 mech because I came up behind him however he wasn't doing so well score wise either so I am doing to say he was probably bad.

Overall I am surprised at how this is done, they have found a nice middle ground with the feel here. Every time I died I didn't feel like I was overpowered which is nice for a FTP game.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By tunaburn

its downloading now

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By colourful_hippie

This game sure does look good.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tunaburn

im not sure yet. itll be downloaded in 10 minutes. it looks like it could be fun but i dunno. ive been playing a ton of dota 2 and some smite lately. dunno if this can get me to quit the smite for it or not. the amount i play dota 2 i dont have time for 3 games really and to be any good at the other 2.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tunaburn

i uninstalled. felt like call of duty to me. not my type of game.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Itwastuesday

I get fatal errors every time I try to install, and no one on the support website seems to know anything. This isn't the first time I've had major technical issues with f2p titles, and I suspect it won't be the last.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Klei

I like it. I think it's pretty unique, considering mech shooters are, as of now, pretty much absent from the market. It's one of the better F2P games I've played. And it's not pay to win. Finally.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Zekhariah

I thought the texturing and lighting were kind of ugly (limited detail).

The gameplay seemed neat, closer to what I get out of Quake 3 than a Call of Duty: XYZ (not directly similar, just saying the frame of mind it puts me in). The mobility of the mechs and specifics of dodging incoming rockets is interesting, and adds some level of strategy to it. As a long term thing, it seems difficult for it to hold up though.

But, playing a free-to-play game on a on-going basis is not a thing I'm interested in. Just spawning with everything limits variety due to the nature of the games monetization scheme. And any novel introductions would just stay the same over the full map time vs. the introducing of different weapon and health states at every encounter in a more traditional FPS. Plus, it looks like it would either take a ton of time or money to really get everything unlocked. I'd rather just pay $20-60 and have everything 4 months after it first comes out. Games are free to play because that makes them way more expensive if you actually get into them though, so yeah, no thanks beyond popping a few starter mechs for me.

Its novel enough that is worth exploring though, and I'm sure I would enjoy it if I am on at the same time as my friends. What it really needs is a release like CS:GO where there is no unlock BS. Its is held back because most people are always using the same equipment. And spending money yourself will not fix that.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By fattony12000

Dodge dem rockets all day err day!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.