Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

001 King of Games - Gimmicks & Too Many Matches

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

So its Monday which I’m officially making Hearthstone blog day with the launch of my new series King of Games! Since the first post I’ve sort of fallen down a Brad-like DOTA hole in that I’ve played over 100 matches in 6 days (so far I’ll probably play a few more before the night is out) and I’m also watching videos of TotalBiscuit playing. My win to lose ratio currently sits at 56:56 and granted some of those were instance wins due to disconnections its still a lot of matches. I’ve also not played any other game in that time but that was partly intentional so that I could be good enough to jump in for only a few matches and make some progress.

Part of the reason for my obsession / love of the game is that its the game I’ve always wanted from a young age. I’ve always loved the idea of playing a CCG such as Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon but have never been able due to firstly the money involved in buying all the cards and secondly the issue of having nobody to play with. Hearthstone solves both of those problems and makes me feel like a duelist in Yu-Gi-Oh which is incredible.

Committing fully to my Yu-Gi-Oh fantasy I’ve started toying with ideas for theme and gimmick decks (again shout out to Total Biscuit for reminding me of wanting to do that with Yu-Gi-Oh’s toons and elemental heroes). I’ve compiled a list of ideas for decks and gimmicks and have re-evaluated my goals for the game:

1. Still earn free entry to The Arena - best streak so far is 4 but I usually drop out after 1 or 2 wins.

2. Finish unlocking all base classes cards - only the Paladin remains.

3. Long Term - unlock / craft 1-2 of every card without buying any packs. I’ll eventually get the single player expansions but I’m still currently on a earn everything mantra.

But back to the King of Games! aside. Basically I’ll be purely playing theme / gimmick decks in everything outside of The Arena in mostly ranked play. Why? Its just so much fun and challenging to be an up and coming duelist earning his deck via winning cards and booster packs. I’ll track my weekly wins and losses also as an interesting stat as well as the current decks that I’m working with. So far its Devilish Demons that are giving me the most fun but a pure Beast deck is also getting some play from time to time.

That about wraps things up for now but please return and join me on my journey to become the King of Games!

Also if anyone knows a method of capturing my matches (I currently play on my laptop) please leave your suggestions below as I’ve yet to look into the subject.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey mods sorry but it appears that it didn't post in the Hearthstone forms despite me telling it to do so again. Sorry again in advance.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@freezyfrog: When you say you want a full card collection without buying packs do you mean buying packs with money or buying packs in general? Because if you don't buy packs you can only get cards through Tavern Brawl (5 cards a week) or Arena. That will be almost impossible, as no known person has unlocked one of every card in the game with just gold when they DO spend gold on packs. Every known person to have a "full" collection has spent real money on packs, and, if I understand what you are saying, you don't even intend to buy packs with gold? Good luck, that's going to be an insane grind.

Also, you only get one "free" entry into arena. It takes a minimum of 6 or 7 wins to either get guaranteed profit or guaranteed money back, I forget. If you can get really good at arena you can do infinite runs, because it costs 150 gold to enter, and you can earn over 300 back if you get enough wins.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaunk: Currently my plan is to craft cards with dust and buy packs with any extra gold I've gotten leftover.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Atwa

Ugh, full card collection without buying anything will take years of playing a lot.

I almost always recommend anyone that wants to play Hearthstone a lot to just buy in a 50 pack bundle, and go from there.

WIthout it, it really sucks facing decks with multiple legendaries.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: Its just all a fun game within a game for myself really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.