Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Beginner Help

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I've recently gotten back into hearthstone after having played it around the time when Naxx first came out, mainly because I don't have too much time to devote to games any more, so it's perfect for me to play like a hand or two in an evening. I'm also completely broke so while I can't buy a bunch of packs etc, I can still feel like I'm working towards something.

When I started playing I got enough gold for a couple of packs, and I also got the first wing of Naxx for free. I'm currently at 550 gold (most of that is due to the "Chicken Dinner" achievement), so my question is how should I spend it? My choices are either opening the plaque wing of Naxx (700g) or spending it on card packs (which further begs the question of classic packs or GvG?).

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EdgeKasey

I find that investing in Arena runs is more useful.

150 for a run, you're guaranteed a pack and you can make more if you do well.

Although you will get many useful cards from opening up all of Naxx too.

You only get packs from the new GvG expansion with Arena runs though....something to keep in mind. So you will have to get those classic packs somehow, eventually.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

While Arena is generally the best use of gold long term if this guys can only play a game or two a night and isn't that good at the game I feel he won't really enjoy arena. There are enough tier lists that choosing cards won't be a big problem (I personally use heartharena.com) but I know a lot of people get turned off from arena after going 0-3 or 1-3 a few times.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I recommend that you avoid buying GvG packs for a good long while. They're supplemental, in the sense that Classic card packs gives you a more well rounded toolbox of different cards to put in your decks. So I also recommend avoiding Arena since all it gives is GvG packs now.

So yeah, buying Naxx quarters is an OK idea and you'll get solid cards like Sludge Belcher, Loatheb, and Kel'Thuzad. Then just buy Classic packs for quite a while.

TheFeenMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cost/value wise, I'd open Naxx first, then start doing arenas. (This tends to get boring, as you don't really get invested in card decisions/synergies since you only play the deck for 14 games, maximum.)

But, you'll need many many more classic cards compared to GvG cards. But, by and large, the GvG cards are better than the classic ones. So, I guess I'd decide on a class that you want to focus on, then buy packs that give you a greater likelihood of getting the good cards you need for that class.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The Naxx cards are some of the more prominent ones in the game. Also good luck I don't think the game is particularly friendly for newer players/people that haven't played in a while anymore, whereas netdecks used to take up 50% of the ladder it's now like 90-95%.

Most of the best GvG cards are common so you can just craft them eventually. Dr. Balanced is the main exception, but maybe you won't actually craft him (you'd be in a very small group if that was the case)?

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the advice guys, my plan is to spend the next while working on getting through naxx, then hopefully I'll be a better position to figure out what to do from there.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck, hit me up if you want a friendly match sometime.

EdgeKasey#1483

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.