Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

How much do you play Tavern Brawl?

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Edited By Y2Ken

Poll How much do you play Tavern Brawl? (105 votes)

Once, for the free Card Pack! I can't bear it any longer than that... 39%
    A few times, just as a break from the norm. 44%
    A lot, I love it as much as Constructed/Arena! 13%
    Constantly! It's my favourite mode and I'm sad when it goes away... 4%

Wondering how much people get into the Tavern Brawls?

Personally I like to play each week a few times, even when there are repeated Brawls. I do enjoy it as a way to mix things up somewhat, so I'll usually try playing a game or two with each class at least. I tend to do so on the first couple of days, because after then most people seem to resort largely to the one or two decks which have proven to be the most deadly (not unlike the constructed format).

Also, on a more general note how have you been enjoying them of late? Seems as though Blizzard isn't putting all that much effort in because they have had a lot of repeats already despite there being no shortage of interesting ideas floating around from the community. I don't mind some repeats from time to time but it's been quite a frequent occurrence of late. They've also been messing them up a lot - this week's was stated on the in-game menu as Too Many Portals, but once in game it was the "All minions are Webspinners" variety instead. Which is especially concerning given that they close the brawl for a couple of days to "clean everything up and get the next one ready."

• 
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think it's my favorite mode in the game. I can't be bothered to keep up with the meta of that game to invest all my time into crafting cards and stuff. So I appreciate a game mode that is truly stupid and random (more so than the standard play modes).

paudle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I enjoy it. I enjoy some more than others. Mostly I just play for the free pack. If it was easier to have more than one deck that would be nice. I like the pre-made decks for when I just want to have some fun and play with cards I normally wouldn't.

I would also like to see a mode where you could casually play against someone in whatever mode you want.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BisonHero

They're a fun change of pace, but some of them I play until I get the card pack and immediately stop. The one where all deathrattles trigger twice was a real chore, because there were pretty much 2-3 decks that were objectively more efficient than anything else anybody could possibly throw together. Also had that problem in the Tavern Brawl where whenever you cast a spell, you get a minion as well that costs the same as that spell, because it got obnoxious that everybody was just running Force of Nature+Savage Roar decks with Soul of the Forest.

Also, I have to imagine that any of the ones where you can build a deck are much harder for new players to win. I wish they would do more of the ones with premade decks (Ragnaros vs. Nefarian) or with mostly randomized decks, because those are generally fairer to new and veteran players.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoy the ones where they give you pre-made decks. I play those brawls a lot more than the ones where you have to construct your own.

kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I also prefer playing it when they give pre-made decks. When they do, I play it a few times. Otherwise I just skip the week if I have to construct one.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turambar

Some of them are pretty terrible, like meeting at the crossroads where you just get a completely random deck. Others are incredibly fun, such as the all unstable portal one, or the double deathrattle one.

They really need to come out with more brawls similar to the very first one where it was Ragnaros vs Nefarian. Custom heroes with custom hero abilities and cards.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I get the free pack and will use the Brawl to complete quests for classes that I don't play a lot of or don't feel like playing at the moment. The ones where they give you a specific deck - Rag vs. Nef and TGT Alleria vs. Medivh - were pretty good, since it was interesting to try to play with decks that were made with some amount of care, rather than just random piles of cards which aren't all that exciting besides being able to clear out Rogue quests. My collection is pretty good at this point, so I'm able to build a solid deck for the custom ones, but most of them besides the "cast a spell, summon a minion of the same cost" one aren't that much fun.

BagronkeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

It's a great mode to play while watching Quick Looks I find, as you don't need to concentrate as much.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By imsh_pl

It depends on the brawl. Something like the Spider Brawl or the 'fill your deck with random class cards' ones I won't care to play more than a few times (especially when there are repeats). The one where you summon a minion with each spellcast though... I had so much fun playing that with my Priest deck.

No Caption Provided

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

The terrible brawls (like pick a class and we fill the deck with random crap) I usually only play once for the free pack. Although, as I play mage almost exclusively in ranked, the Brawl is a good place to do class quests.

Also, they need some new ideas for Brawls asap, how are we on the Unstable Portal (or the Webspinner in Europe) one again?

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Once I have my pack I'm done. The only one I've played beyond my pack reward was the one where you start with 10 mana.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Depends on the brawl, some are super aggro focused like the Banana Brawl and aren't much different than playing on ladder; while others are a totally unique experience. Most of the random card ones are fun but relatively dumb, spells for minions is the best but also the most slanted to a few classes. Webspinners is probably the most skill based thing the game has had (other than early closed beta arena) due to the limited range of options and the importance of how you utilized your webspinners, had about an 85% win rate in that one after 70-80 games. Unstable Portal was really stupid by comparison, the main thing is that there's only so many beasts and only a couple of them are legitimately terrible cards, but portal is just anything and everything.

Brawl is easily the best mode in the game but Blizzard has been extremely lazy with it so far.

Meeting at the crossroads is dumb but you do get like 10 legendaries a deck.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on whatever the game type of the week is. If it's the portal one, then I'll play it constantly, because that one's a ton of fun due to the fact that skill hardly factors into it at all so I don't have to think too hard about it. If it's one where I have to create my own deck, then I won't play because I don't feel like putting that much effort into it.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'd definitely love to see some more along the lines of Rag vs. Nef, that was certainly one of the more interesting ones. I'm sure they could tweak a few of the Solo Adventure fights slightly and get something playable out of it. Other than that I've been enjoying the more random ones quite a bit because it leads to such wacky situations. I like that they bounce between preconstructed/random and make-your-own decks; I don't really know which side of it I prefer honestly. The double deathrattle last week was fun - but there aren't all that many deathrattle cards, and most of them are neutrals, so a lot of the decks ended up being the same anyway.

On a side note I've heard this week's is back to portals now, though it was definitely webspinners when I played earlier. Might give it another shot later.

projectino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually I'll play them once and maybe a few times afterwards if I have a class challenge that I'm not fond of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.