Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Is it worth getting OS X Yosemite for one game?

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey,

So an update is incoming for Hearthstone (a game that I have played obsessively from April last year) that is incompatible with my current OS. Is it worth upgrading my system in the name of one game? I'm hesitant for two main reasons:

I worry that it would a) make my 2009 model MacBook run slow as heck, and b) render some programs unusable. I have 2008 versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint; as well as Adobe CS 6

Can anyone tell me what Yosemite is like on older model Macs? I'm not really fussed with little changes to programs, like facelifts or funky new features. I'm more concerned with whether it would wreck my laptop/ destroy old files and programs.

Thanks for your time.

p.s. Feel free to leave your Battle.net tag if you want to play and I actually upgrade thanks to your stellar advice.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yosemite should run fine on older machines. It's still OS X.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yeah the OS X upgrades don't really make older machines chug. I have a 2012 MacBook Air that runs like the day I bought it on Yosemite. Obviously a 2009 model is older and will most likely see a small difference, but I doubt it'll be perceptible. Think about how old iPhones run on current iOS. My girlfriend's 4S runs fine on iOS 8. Your MacBook should be a similar situation.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While losing office sucks, the upgrade hardly slowed (in fact might've improved) my 2009 MacBook pro.

Can't attest to whether or not it's worth it for hearthstone

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I upgraded my 2010 Mac Pro at work to Yosemite. 2x Quad core Xeons. 12 gigs of ram and a Western Digital Black drive in it. What was once a super zippy machine runs VMs like horse shit now. On the bright side, once I get some time, I'll just boot up deploy studio, install a 10.9 capture, and restore from my backup.

However, my 2010 Macbook Pro I use at work runs fine on "Yosemity". It does very, very light lifting and is mostly used so I can remote desktop into my Windows box.

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the feedback folks. Always appreciate the ability to rely on such a great community.

Seems it's a case of just going for it and seeing how it works... but I trust everyone's advice.

It was just a small query so thanks for your help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.