Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavenly Sword

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 12, 2007

Nariko, an outcast in her clan, wields the cursed Heavenly Sword in order to defeat the evil King Bohan.

Heavenly Sword: Initial impressions

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Edited By raddevon

I picked up a copy of Heavenly Sword last week to participate in the upcoming Rebel FM Game Club. I had checked out review scores and was expecting the depths of mediocrity. After putting in an hour or so over the weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to find a polished action game with lots of variety. In that short time, I experienced a few very satisfying sword-fighting beat 'em up sequences, shot down incoming enemies with some kind of crazy bow weapon, and used a cannon to take out catapults using the Sixaxis to "steer" the cannonballs after firing (cue eye rolls). It was all way more fun than I ever expected. I am particularly impressed with the story, which is intriguing, and the lip-syncing. Several of the games I have been playing recently (e.g. Fallout 3 and inFAMOUS among others) have had glaring issues with lip-syncing. Even though it isn't a big deal, it really takes you out of the experience to see mouths moving seemingly without any regard for the words that are being spoken.

I have noticed a couple of problems. The controls are a bit clunky. Nariko doesn't really respond to my inputs as I would like her to. The aforementioned aftertouch to control projectiles is a bit inaccurate as you might expect, but it is surprisingly enjoyable when used sparingly. Fear is setting in that the honeymoon could be over soon, but, as of right now, I am thoroughly enjoying the game.

Update: Marigold? How silly of me to mistake the main character's name. It is fixed now.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By raddevon

I picked up a copy of Heavenly Sword last week to participate in the upcoming Rebel FM Game Club. I had checked out review scores and was expecting the depths of mediocrity. After putting in an hour or so over the weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to find a polished action game with lots of variety. In that short time, I experienced a few very satisfying sword-fighting beat 'em up sequences, shot down incoming enemies with some kind of crazy bow weapon, and used a cannon to take out catapults using the Sixaxis to "steer" the cannonballs after firing (cue eye rolls). It was all way more fun than I ever expected. I am particularly impressed with the story, which is intriguing, and the lip-syncing. Several of the games I have been playing recently (e.g. Fallout 3 and inFAMOUS among others) have had glaring issues with lip-syncing. Even though it isn't a big deal, it really takes you out of the experience to see mouths moving seemingly without any regard for the words that are being spoken.

I have noticed a couple of problems. The controls are a bit clunky. Nariko doesn't really respond to my inputs as I would like her to. The aforementioned aftertouch to control projectiles is a bit inaccurate as you might expect, but it is surprisingly enjoyable when used sparingly. Fear is setting in that the honeymoon could be over soon, but, as of right now, I am thoroughly enjoying the game.

Update: Marigold? How silly of me to mistake the main character's name. It is fixed now.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hairydutchman

It's a sweet short game with a terrific presentation, but be prepared to die a lot at the final boss.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By VWGTI

I never understood the universal hate for this game. It's a fun title with a handful of issues, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a blast to play. 

You'll enjoy it all the way through. It's a really short game. Also, there is a really funny seen with Kai torwards the end of the game. :)

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By KamasamaK

I enjoyed the game as well, but the complaints about length and replay value are understandable.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By raddevon
    @Kamasama: I think the length will be great for me no matter how short. My pile of shame is quickly becoming a mountain. I still have 3 DLCs to work through on Fallout 3 not to mention nearly all of Persona 3 and 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Yakuza 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Prince of Persia, Dead Space... the list goes on. The last thing I need right now is another epic bogging it down. ;)
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By KamasamaK
    @raddevon: Then I guess it works out for you. And I mainly meant that those issues were understandable given the price of the game, not that it detracts from the quality. I mean seriously, it's been almost two years and the game still goes for $50-$60.
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By raddevon
    @Kamasama: I was at once impressed and depressed that it had held its value so well. I thought I might get a deal being it was an earlier release on the PS3 but no dice. Length aside, it seems well worth the price paid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.