Cage 'Doubts' Heavy Rain DLC 'Will Ever Be Produced'

• 81 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It appears as if clutching even the faintest glimmer of hope for future Heavy Rain DLC would be a fine practice in futility. Quantic Dream co-founder and writer David Cage has re-iterated to Eurogamer that all future DLC for the moody title has been put on hold. He even went so far as to say, "...I doubt they will ever be produced." 

During E3, Cage's fellow Quantic Dream co-founder Guillaume de Fondaumiere made a mention that HR's DLC had been shelved in favor of integrating the game with the PlayStation Move controller, making the pre-order DLC The Taxidermist the first and only bit of additional "Chronicles" content. 

In Cage's more recent interview with Eurogamer, the publication apparently angled its question about the on-hold DLC to incorporate the idea of Move integration possibly harming the quality of the content. Cage explained that it would have.

"Our approach was to make no compromise on the quality of the Chronicles and offer exactly the same quality than the original game. So the answer is yes. Chronicles as we saw them were ambitious and with high expectations."

== TEASER =="As explained, they are on hold to allow the team to work on Move and on new projects, and I doubt they will ever be produced."

If you're wondering how serious Quantic ever was about the Chronicles DLC, just ask Cage about it--the dude had already written three scripts. But what's next on the docket? Cage mentioned new projects. One of those is, apparently, creating new tech. "Most of the team currently works on the next generation of technology and future concepts. We plan to significantly improve the technology compared to Heavy Rain, continue to take risks and explore new grounds."

DLC? DLC!?
On the bright side, perhaps the game that'll use this new tech will also incorporate some of the ideas of the assumedly never-to-be-created Heavy Rain DLC.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It appears as if clutching even the faintest glimmer of hope for future Heavy Rain DLC would be a fine practice in futility. Quantic Dream co-founder and writer David Cage has re-iterated to Eurogamer that all future DLC for the moody title has been put on hold. He even went so far as to say, "...I doubt they will ever be produced." 

During E3, Cage's fellow Quantic Dream co-founder Guillaume de Fondaumiere made a mention that HR's DLC had been shelved in favor of integrating the game with the PlayStation Move controller, making the pre-order DLC The Taxidermist the first and only bit of additional "Chronicles" content. 

In Cage's more recent interview with Eurogamer, the publication apparently angled its question about the on-hold DLC to incorporate the idea of Move integration possibly harming the quality of the content. Cage explained that it would have.

"Our approach was to make no compromise on the quality of the Chronicles and offer exactly the same quality than the original game. So the answer is yes. Chronicles as we saw them were ambitious and with high expectations."

== TEASER =="As explained, they are on hold to allow the team to work on Move and on new projects, and I doubt they will ever be produced."

If you're wondering how serious Quantic ever was about the Chronicles DLC, just ask Cage about it--the dude had already written three scripts. But what's next on the docket? Cage mentioned new projects. One of those is, apparently, creating new tech. "Most of the team currently works on the next generation of technology and future concepts. We plan to significantly improve the technology compared to Heavy Rain, continue to take risks and explore new grounds."

DLC? DLC!?
On the bright side, perhaps the game that'll use this new tech will also incorporate some of the ideas of the assumedly never-to-be-created Heavy Rain DLC.    
#2 Edited by JacDG (2119 posts) -

Wow, that sucks.... not. Give me a new game instead.

#3 Posted by DjRich (122 posts) -

Jason? :(

#4 Posted by MJHAYLETT (439 posts) -

well I got the feeling that Cage wasn't exactly eager to make DLC packs for Heavy Rain anyway so I am thinking this is a smokescreen to get away from the already self contained Story Heavy (Rain) game so they can concentrate on a new IP.

#5 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

I haven't played Heavy Rain yet.  Since it is a hipster game.  But I was hoping to pick it up from the bargain bin sometime.

Sucks to hear this.  But the game was pretty much a failure anyway.  Not many fans to disappoint or in this case, to please. 

#6 Edited by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

I think it's for the best, he should move on to bigger and better things. Hopefully not PS3 exclusive this time!

#7 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

ja-SON 
 jaaaaa-sonnnnn

#8 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Oh well. It's a shame we'll probably never get to see them. At the same time, I personally did not found the Taxidermist to be good, so maybe this isn't that bad.

#9 Posted by DayOneAdvantage (82 posts) -

Heavy Rain with the Move patch is my most anticipated of all of this year's motion game lineup (not saying much) I'm glad that Quantic Dream went this route. They gain experience in developing for the Move, so that their next game doesn't have super-wonky six axis movements, and I get a good excuse to play through HR again. 

#10 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

Well good for him actually telling it straight, unlike a certain "ballsy" man saying it's 10 times better than ever before with morons jumping on his hype wagon.

#11 Posted by freakin (404 posts) -

The Taxidermist was terrible.  I'd say it's for the best they are focusing on other things.    

#12 Posted by Greenlight13 (99 posts) -

Shame. You get a lot of content with those DLCs. The Taxidermist was short but there were so many potential choices and outcomes. I felt i got my money's worth and it was pretty creepy. She was the least interesting character so I can only imagine what they could do with Norman or Scott.

#13 Posted by Waffles13 (608 posts) -
@Brad Nicholson said:

"the publication apparently angled its question about the on-hold DLC to incorporate the idea of Move integration possibly harming the quality of the content. Cage explained that it would have."

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but where in the two quotes given does Cage say he thought Move would harm the content? He said that A) he wanted the DLC to be qualitatively the same as the retail game and B) the DLC is on hold to work on Move integration for the game.

Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I feel that this is a horrible misinterpretation of what Cage said.
#14 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@SoothsayerGB said:
" I haven't played Heavy Rain yet.  Since it is a hipster game.  But I was hoping to pick it up from the bargain bin sometime.  Sucks to hear this.  But the game was pretty much a failure anyway.  Not many fans to disappoint or in this case, to please.  "
I like how this person just disregards the entire fanbase, and reality, proclaiming his own thoughts and beliefs  as facts. Even though it sold 1,3 million copies, which is impressive for a "game" as unique and special as this one.
#15 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Jason? 

Jason?........

#16 Posted by mattbirdy1986 (107 posts) -

the Game was epic the Taxidermist DLC was shallow still a shame tho as they could have extended the life of the title a little, 

#17 Posted by I_love_Eva_Braun (481 posts) -

Press X to JASON

#18 Posted by PjotrLeschenko (110 posts) -
@tiwi: 
it says right in the manual 'Don't play this game if you aren't a hipster.' and on the last page there are words printed in a big font  'PS3 HAZ NO GAEMS!'
:P
#19 Posted by Abdulrhman (3 posts) -

Damn Them ~______~ !!!! why why !? i want ( SPOILER ALERT )          to know about the Blackouts . they should do a DLC for it .

#20 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

The only Heavy Rain news I am interested is Heavy Rain coming to PC. Somebody wake me when that finally hits.

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -

And my purchase of Heavy Rain continues to be one of my biggest regrets. The game was great, but come on, 60$ for what kept me busy for basically half the weekend is kinda retarded. Really shoulda rented.

#22 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

What, just because Nicholas Cage played the game he thinks he can make decisions for it?  What a douche.

#23 Edited by Brackynews (4059 posts) -
@PjotrLeschenko: You had to look in the manual? Crikey. The PEGI rating right on the Europe special edition box has a square with a circle and a line through it, under the Austin Powers sticker.  "No squares allowed man, you must be at least this groovy to buy this game. Yeeeaahh!"
Press X to Austin, baby!
#24 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -
@SoothsayerGB said:
" I haven't played Heavy Rain yet.  Since it is a hipster game.  But I was hoping to pick it up from the bargain bin sometime.  Sucks to hear this.  But the game was pretty much a failure anyway.  Not many fans to disappoint or in this case, to please.  "

What exactly is a "hipster game"?
#25 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@tiwi said:
" @SoothsayerGB said:
I like how this person just disregards the entire fanbase, and reality, proclaiming his own thoughts and beliefs  as facts. Even though it sold 1,3 million copies, which is impressive for a "game" as unique and special as this one. "
Me too. I also liked the part where he said he hadn't played it and went on to express an opinion on how the game was not a success.
#26 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -

So instead of adding new content, they'd rather make the game work with a new controller? Doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe if the game was super popular but isn't it a niche title at best? I'd think that most people who wanted to play the game have played it by now. Developers really need to stop announcing things that will never happen. They should never say anything about DLC until the first month's sales are in at the earliest. That way they'll know if its worth their time and it won't let down anyone who was expecting DLC. If the devs are asked about DLC before the game is released, they should only say that they'd like to do more but its not a definite.

#27 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -
@SoothsayerGB said:
You have no idea what a hipster is and you should lurk the fuck more and GTFO.
#28 Posted by PjotrLeschenko (110 posts) -

The first 'DLC' was a tech demo which they polished (changed even some VO) to add it later. The whole episodic content is an afterthought, I wouldn't mind to have some, but I don't miss it either.

#29 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Damn, that's a shame. I imagine a lot of people want the game to have more DLC released. I don't own a PS3 myself, so I'm not missing anything from this. Regardless, I know a lot of Heavy Rain owners will want this DLC to actually be produced. Such a shame it may never see the light of day.

#30 Posted by mrcraggle (1895 posts) -

Looks like David Cage turned out the lights on this one

#31 Posted by oddjob (110 posts) -

Thanks to PS Move for ruining a cool game's future

#32 Posted by Brodehouse (9793 posts) -

David Cage is really pissing me off lately.  The guy scrapes and fights to get any kind of recognition for this crazy vision he had, almost kills himself creating his unique game, and then the first time that people stand up for it, he sits down.

How do you work yourself to the bone in order to impress upon the public that gaming needs this style of game, and when they finally agree with you after a decade, you tell them that you don't believe in it anymore. 

That's not being artistic, that's being a prig.

#33 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1902 posts) -

Hugely disappointing that they're simply updating the game for move instead of making NEW content...

It's also a shame that they weren't able to leverage the Heavy Rain platform as a way for other people to tell different stories. Having all the tech in place I would have liked to see them "rent" it out to others who could have told new and interesting videogame stories without having to go to the time and expense of developing an engine themselves.

#34 Posted by carlthenimrod (1593 posts) -

Heavy Rain is awesome but I don't care about DLC because it would be 30 minutes long and I would never buy it anyways.

#35 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (520 posts) -

They gave up new content for move functionality? Wow, they're dumb.

#36 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -
@SL33TBL1ND said:
" They gave up new content for move functionality? Wow, they're dumb. "
I don't think so.  If anything, Heavy Rain is an experience that focuses on the idea of motions that occur.  Analog sticks can only do so much for what that game offers.  The idea of Move functionality in it is far more intriguing than additional DLC, especially since the base game as it stands has a ton of replay value.
#37 Posted by MeatXbeatsXman (238 posts) -

Why rework a game to work with a different kind of controller this long afterwards? I think those interested to play it, played it. I think the 1.3 million copies sold is indicative of that. I can't shake the feeling that Sony can't help but make ill-advised decisions.

#38 Posted by RecSpec (3799 posts) -

A wise investment.

Even though I would love new DLC chapters, it would be better off for them.
They are going to sell a repackaged Heavy Rain Special Edition next year w/ move functionality and the first DLC chapter.

Kind of like those GOTY editions.  

If I remembered a ton of people bitched about the DLC because you could essentially finish it in ten minutes. There were many different ways it could turn out, but still...

It's way easier to just rework what you have instead of doing all the mocap, voices, and other technological stuff just for DLC.

#39 Posted by ptys (1927 posts) -

Heavy Rain feels almost like a tech demo as I enjoyed it, and saw some cool new stuff but not really interested in playing it any longer. Sounds like alot of work went into it but the developer doesn't really stand by their product in the end?

#40 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (520 posts) -
@jakob187:  
@MeatXbeatsXman
said:
" Why rework a game to work with a different kind of controller this long afterwards? I think those interested to play it, played it. I think the 1.3 million copies sold is indicative of that. I can't shake the feeling that Sony can't help but make ill-advised decisions. "
My sentiments exactly, Meat.
#41 Posted by ChernobylCow (238 posts) -

Ugh, thanks for reading an article for me.

#42 Posted by Crash_Happy (662 posts) -
@MJHAYLETT:  Doesn't sound keen on adding 'Move' support.
#43 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

As much as I like the ideas and experiences these guys create with their "games", it's hard to ignore the grousing and doom and gloom they are always bringing down on the people that actually bought their work.

Maybe it's just that they're French.

#44 Posted by Kreega (32 posts) -
#45 Posted by DeathByWaffle (631 posts) -
@SoothsayerGB: 

not sure if you are being sarcastic. It reviewed well and sold 1.34 million copies. hardly a failure
#46 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -

LOL the picture with DLC? DLC?! was fucking hilarious.

#47 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" And my purchase of Heavy Rain continues to be one of my biggest regrets. The game was great, but come on, 60$ for what kept me busy for basically half the weekend is kinda retarded. Really shoulda rented. "
This. EXACTLY this. 
I started playing the game at 3 pm, and finished at 3 am without ever taking a break. Haven't touched it since except for trophy hunting. It's too linear overall
#48 Posted by Spaceyoghurt (161 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" David Cage is really pissing me off lately.  The guy scrapes and fights to get any kind of recognition for this crazy vision he had, almost kills himself creating his unique game, and then the first time that people stand up for it, he sits down.  How do you work yourself to the bone in order to impress upon the public that gaming needs this style of game, and when they finally agree with you after a decade, you tell them that you don't believe in it anymore.   That's not being artistic, that's being a prig. "
I agree. Even though it was short, I had a great time with Heavy Rain, even replayed it a couple of times to see the different outcomes. Was really hoping for more, now that the tech is in place and people know exactly what to expect. I admire David Cage for his visions and all, but this is bullshit. There are quite a few of us now that wants more of this stuff. Make it happen.
#49 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Don't care about PS Move. Motion control is dumb, but I'm certainly bummed out about this. Heavy Rain was such a neat experience. On the upside, I can't wait to see what David Cage does next. 

Also, people need to stop whining about how they spent all their allowance on a game that they beat in a weekend. Base your "review" of a game on the experience, not on some lame value proposition. I felt Heavy Rain was a breath of fresh air, despite some regrettable voice work in spots, and I only hope Quantic Dream and Cage can build on it's success for their next project.

#50 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

I never picked up Heavy Rain as some idiot spoiled it for me before release. However if I ever do get Move, i'll make sure to pick it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.