Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

GOTY nods for this game blow my frickin mind.

• 82 results
    Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @cancerdancer: 
    Electrical outlets? Really? Talk about picking something apart. I have no idea what your talking about. I don't remember any paranormal stuff, maybe I just don't recall. The whole game made perfect sense to me.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Slaker117

I thought the concept of the story was solid. The game mechanics were novel and worked surprisingly well. The problem came from the actual execution. Sloppy voice acting and unsatisfying plot payoff. Still interesting and worth mention for what it got right, but that doesn't negate what it did wrong.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By ryanwho
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " Get over it.  People like it.  Grow up. "
    You should know how to socialize by now.
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Slaker117: I think the biggest thing about this game was the experimental nature of how the story progressed, there is NOTHING like it, at least that's how I felt while playing.  

I can understand the non-love for this game, it's a pretty polarizing experience. I don't want to say those who didn't like it don't "get it"...more like its just not for them, the game didn't get them the same way, which is completely fine. 

Even the reviews kind of say that, they mention the problems, just somehow they let them go because of the feeling/experience it provided make them let it go.
    Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Yelix

I still think that the only way David Cage will ever make anything good is if he adaps Don't Shit Your Pants. He'd find ways to put plot holes into that, too.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ryanwho
    @Deeveeus said:

" @Slaker117: I think the biggest thing about this game was the experimental nature of how the story progressed, there is NOTHING like it, at least that's how I felt while playing.   I can understand the non-love for this game, it's a pretty polarizing experience. I don't want to say those who didn't like it don't "get it"...more like its just not for them, the game didn't get them the same way, which is completely fine.  Even the reviews kind of say that, they mention the problems, just somehow they let them go because of the feeling/experience it provided make them let it go. "

Thing is, the game is begging people to compare it to actual film, and when you do that, man it really falls apart. Compare the game part of this to other games and the film aspects to actual film, what are you left with here? Something that kind of fails to deliver on both ends. You're left with a flawed median that is mostly going to be remembered as a good idea someone else will eventually get right.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Slaker117
    @Deeveeus:  I understand what you're saying, and I don't really disagree. I really liked how the game presented the story, but at some point the story itself just fell apart for me. Like I said, it earns the praise for what it got right, but the bad parts are still bad.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I preferred Fahrenheit!

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Clinkz
    @CL60 said:
    " @ryanwho: Considering they were told to remove that stuff because people complained about it, yes it is their fault. The paranormal stuff that was removed explained a lot. "
    That paranormal stuff sucked bro. I would take gaping plot holes over  the backdoor escape by saying aliens did it any day.
    Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Hashbrowns
    @Omega:
    True, Indigo Prophecy had a paranormal event at the beginning, and I was ready to accept an occult or mind control conceit, but was hoping for something clever that had simply appeared paranormal.  But the story doesn't earn any of the additional fantasy elements, and it piles them on like there's no tomorrow.  After the point that Lucas "dies" and comes back, it feels like the thread of the whole story is lost.  Suddenly Lucas is a zombie, there are competing Mayan tribes and glowing artificial intelligences vying for a "chosen one" with a McGuffin prophecy that is never explained.  The jump is so sudden that it felt like an entire act had been removed from the story, but even then it's hard to imagine what they could add that would make the ending feel natural and not just an excuse so that Cage could make Lucas into Neo from The Matrix.

Ultimately Indigo Prophecy abandons its ties with any sense of reality, so much so that it's difficult if not impossible to feel any connection with the characters or their plight.  It's doubly frustrating considering what lengths they went to creating a believable and relatable world in the first half.  I went from being engrossed in the mystery in the beginning to cringing with embarassment toward the end.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Getz
    @GoofyGoober said:
    " The game was still GOTY quality. Lots of games have stupid plot holes. "
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ryanwho

If you need some kind of paranormal deus ex machina to tie your story up into a nice little bow, you don't have an especially compelling story to begin with. Mystery writers often start with the climax and work back to make sure everything adds up, Cage should try that sometimes instead of this improvisation approach.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Slaker117
    @Getz said:
    " @GoofyGoober said:
    "
    But not all games are all about the story. Heavy Rain lives or dies by it.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ryanwho said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " Get over it.  People like it.  Grow up. "
    You should know how to socialize by now. "
    I prefer not to socialize with people who think other's tastes are wrong. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ryanwho

People talk about things at forums. You walking into every "I didn't care for ____" thread like a wounded puppy and telling everyone to "get over it" doesn't do anything for anyone. People are just talking, and if you can't handle that go cut yourself in a corner.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ryanwho said:
    " People talk about things at forums. You walking into every "I didn't care for ____" thread like a wounded puppy and telling everyone to "get over it" doesn't do anything for anyone. People are just talking, and if you can't handle that go cut yourself in a corner. "
    And your the guy who tends to demean others opinions of a game.  We all have flaws, your flaws makes you look like an asshole though.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Me too. I thought it was absolute garbage. It's a game focused on the story and graphics, only the story is terrible, the graphics are super stiff, and the entire voice acting cast consists of French people trying to sound like they're from New York just to remove any lingering possibility of immersion... Also, boring. Opinions differ and all that but GOTY? How?

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By SonicFire

Wouldn't say it was perfect, no, but I very much enjoyed my time with it; the variations in the endings were impressive too. More important, the game was unique. For reviewers, and people like myself who play so many games that feel very similar, unique means a lot when it comes time to reflect on the year in games. 

Still...who doesn't want to press x to "Jason" ?
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @cancerdancer: It has to deal with gamers....not doing anything else other than games. 

Same thing why Alan Wake gets absolute praise from the hardcore gamers on the interwebz, even though the combat was mundane as you killed the same thing over and over...and then had to pick up retarded collectibles... 

While the story in Alan Wake was just a generic one, since it was alright for a game and hyped beyond fucking belief the internet ate it up and actually started touting it as a great story even when stacked up against other media. It's kind of sad...
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70  Edited By septim

I loved Heavy Rain. But I wasn't in love with the story itself, just the way in which the story was told.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71  Edited By EdIsCool

people are fascinating. To me its game of the decade, despite its flaws.In a way its like Avatar, yes you can pick away at it, but it does show the medium a way forward(yes Indigo/Fahrenheit did it first, no one was paying attention). 
    Please continue trashing it, I genuinely find it interesting.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By imsh_pl

Heavy Rain was awesome. One of the best experiences I've had this year. Sure, it had its flaws, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Getz
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @Getz said:
    " @GoofyGoober said:
    "
    But not all games are all about the story. Heavy Rain lives or dies by it. "
    I don't think that Heavy Rain is entirely reliant on its story. It's about characters, and atmosphere, and themes. It's about trying to capture the feel of film noir in a modern setting, in a video game. It's about creating new gameplay; gameplay that has less to do with twitch reflex and skill, and more to do with immersion. If you judge the game based on this criteria, I think it mostly suceeds. It's not perfect, and sure you can make a case for it not being GOTY, but ultimately that's a subjective thing. Saying that the story sucks does not, however, exclude all other aspects of its design. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ryanwho

If there was a category for "best idea", I think Heavy Rain could take it. It is a novel idea, and some day someone will do a lot more with it.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#75  Edited By Bouke
    @Hashbrowns: It is weird how they left the blackouts in but never really explain them; its to bad the scenes in the video were cut because i think it would've made it a better story. I did however enjoy the game because of what is was trying to do, i liked looking around for clues and that if something was hard on a character it would also be a challenge controlwise. I don't think Heavy Rain is a GOTY contender, but it is in my top 10 of 2010 just because of what its trying to do and other then Indigo Prophecy i can't think of a game like it.
    cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By cgoodno

Compared to most games, the plot holes are actually less severe than others. 

Having said that, while I get most people think this game is all about the story, it also really isn't getting any accolades for its writing.  What it's getting accolades for is the way in which it involves you in the story and how it plays out.  It's not exactly new, but it's new and improved over what we have seen in the past.  The direction that point and click adventures will take in the future.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By ClaritySam
    @ryanwho said:
    " If there was a category for "best idea", I think Heavy Rain could take it. It is a novel idea, and some day someone will do a lot more with it. "
    I honestly think the someone will be David Cage.  Farenheit was an interesting idea but a poor game, and while Heavy Rain is a big leap forward it still has its share of problems.  However, I'm still extremely interested  to see what Cage does next, in my opinion he's a much better stoyryteller than people give him credit for.
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#78  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Haters gonna hate?
    austicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By austicious
    @ryanwho said:
    " This game is like a tech demo for Hollywood film and tv drama talent. It simulataniously goes "see this is what you can do here" and "see this is why we need your help". "
    I think that's a great way to put it.  It was interesting as a tech demo, but it ultimately failed as a game, which is why I don't think it should be considered a GOTY.
    popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By popmasterruler
    @CL60 said:
    " Blame the people who complained about Indigo Prophecy for the plot holes. Because of all the crying they cut out all of the paranormal stuff. "

All of those asshole whiners can go fuck off.I loved the paranormal aspects of Indigo Prophecy.Wait,what plotholes?Admittedly I haven't played Indigo Prophecy in a few years but I don't remember Indigo Prophecy having any plotholes.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @cancerdancer said:
    "I can't understand how people are "blown away" by the narrative of this story. There are so many gaping plot holes, it hurts the mind. Biggest one in my mind:

WHY DO THE PARENTS HAVE KEY EVIDENCE TO A CASE THAT IS STILL OPEN AND BEING ACTIVELY INVESTIGATED? WHY ARE THEY WILLING TO GIVE AWAY THIS EVIDENCE TO A MAN THEY HAVE NEVER MET BEFORE?  Also, voice work was pretty fucking iffy and for gods sake, the electrical outlets weren't even modeled after American outlets. All the outlets in the game are European and I am 99% sure of this. "

He's posing as a private investogator 

They don't know it's evidence they think it's their husbands phones 

The phones are dissconnected after the fathers fail and then they don't contain evidence, they're just a blank phone.
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By Trebz

It's not GOTY material (at least, I think), but it does have some of the most interesting and exciting gameplay I've experienced in quite a while and it's one of the more innovative games of the past few years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.