Heavy Rain makes my heart hurt..... (Dude. Spoilers)

#1 Posted by NegativeCreep (180 posts) -

I'd never thought that a game would elicit a real emotional response from me. But, there are two scenes in Heavy Rain that really just made me feel depressed and shitty.

1. There's a throwaway scene in the Father and Son chapter. Go into Shaun's room and Ethan can view a drawing. Seeing the image of a child's artwork of his own brother's death just really made my heart sink. This isn't even a major plot point in the game and something most players probably missed, but it really drove the theme of loss home for me.

2. The Origami Killer has tasked Ethan to risk his own physical well being to save the life of his son. The fourth challenge of the Origami Killer, basically tasks Ethan to sacrifice a part of his soul. Ethan is given a gun and tasked to kill a man who he has never met. At first, I felt that the person Ethan was tasked to kill was nothing but a heroin pushing scumbag. Fuck him....nobody's going to miss a poisoner. After winning the series of QTE's.....I learned that this man had something in common with Ethan. He is a father. I then instructed Ethan to shoot a man begging for his life with a picture of his family in his hands. At point blank range.

#2 Posted by cyclonus007 (5 posts) -
@NegativeCreep:  Ouch. I just finished the game a few minutes ago and man...the decisions you have to make are what make this game awesome. I missed the picture in Shaun's room and let the dealer live, though. I've been dying to know if anyone else shot the religious suspect. I did accidentally and it messed me up.
#3 Posted by NegativeCreep (180 posts) -
@cyclonus007: I was just about to bring that up. I tried to talk him down....until he reached into his pocket. He was reaching in his pocket...what was I supposed to do?
#4 Posted by Hailinel (24289 posts) -
@cyclonus007 said:
" @NegativeCreep:  Ouch. I just finished the game a few minutes ago and man...the decisions you have to make are what make this game awesome. I missed the picture in Shaun's room and let the dealer live, though. I've been dying to know if anyone else shot the religious suspect. I did accidentally and it messed me up. "
I accidentally shot the religious kook too.  That left me stunned for a bit.  I didn't think pressing that button would do that, but then, I guess that was the point.
#5 Posted by cyclonus007 (5 posts) -
@NegativeCreep: Exact same thing happened to me. I'm betting everyone that plays this game is gonna do the same thing. it's such a knee jerk reaction.
#6 Posted by cyclonus007 (5 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @cyclonus007 said:
" @NegativeCreep:  Ouch. I just finished the game a few minutes ago and man...the decisions you have to make are what make this game awesome. I missed the picture in Shaun's room and let the dealer live, though. I've been dying to know if anyone else shot the religious suspect. I did accidentally and it messed me up. "
I accidentally shot the religious kook too.  That left me stunned for a bit.  I didn't think pressing that button would do that, but then, I guess that was the point. "
Funny thing was I was expecting some kind of fallout for killing him (thrown off the case, maybe). Nothing. I'm guessing the scene was a reminder of the impact of even the slightest decision.
#7 Posted by NegativeCreep (180 posts) -
@cyclonus007 said:

" @NegativeCreep: Exact same thing happened to me. I'm betting everyone that plays this game is gonna do the same thing. it's such a knee jerk reaction. "

If I was in that situation...I'd probably pull the trigger too.
#8 Edited by cyclonus007 (5 posts) -
@NegativeCreep:  Same here.  Glad we're not cops...
#9 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -

I actually didn't wind up shooting the drug dealer father, but took the poison in after deliberation, cause I knew it was the heroic thing to do (i.e. self sacrifice).  But I went to bed for the night and decided to finish the rest the next day, and then I got thinking, I did the most selfish thing.  I sacrificed Shaun's loving father, for a dope-peddler who probably doesn't give two shits about his daughters. 

This was further dramatic when I rescued Shaun and my mind went from joy to distraught at the exact time Ethan's did, he immediately looked at the watch.  10 seconds left to live, while someone's other father is shooting up trying to forget about the man who busted into his house and was about to kill him.

Something to think about.

Of course, then my surprise when his time was up.  Guess I was lucky...

#10 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Is the "trick poison" thing officially a narrative trope? Because I knew the moment he drank it that it was nonlethal, but I can't recall many games or movies I've seen that would set that precedent in my mind. In any case, not much dramatic tension in that scene, for that reason.

As for the drawing, yeah, I saw that too. That was an emotional moment. The moment that stuck out for me, though, is the one when Ethan and Shawn are in the playground, and you get to play with him and stuff. I taught him how to throw a boomerang, and I was so goddamned proud of him. It's not often in a video game that you feel the pride of fatherhood, but I did in Heavy Rain.

#11 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Heavy Rain is the only game that I think about constantly, and it makes my heart ache as well.

Like, it is honestly something too special for me to comprehend. I would like to play through again, but I have this feeling of "dude, this is so....heavy, so involving, that I can't do it" 

I'm so connected with it.

#12 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

The best thing about the game is how throughout the whole of it I always thought I was one step ahead of it.   Beware, major spoiler: 

The game is god damn epic.
#13 Edited by Beforet (2916 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:

" Is the "trick poison" thing officially a narrative trope? Because I knew the moment he drank it that it was nonlethal, but I can't recall many games or movies I've seen that would set that precedent in my mind. In any case, not much dramatic tension in that scene, for that reason.

I'm pretty sure that would be a test of character or something. Here's a link.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SecretTestOfCharacter

I couldn't bring myself to shoot the dealer. Which is why it hurt all the more when drinking the poison revealed one letter. One fucking letter. Goddammit, I'm just glad I guessed right. Also, I shot the religious guy. Couldn't call it an accident, but he was holding a gun to someone, even if he was an asshole. What was I supposed to do? ._.
#14 Posted by Addfwyn (1919 posts) -

There's a number of scenes that caused an actual emotional response for me, many even very early in the game. Spoilers, no surprise, I think we can assume that from the title of the thread. Ethan moved me so much in this game, by far the most of the 4.

1)  I'm not a father, but I felt legitimate panic in the mall scene at the very beginning.  I don't think any game made me appreciate fatherhood so much as the panic I got from the tunnel-vision/crowd-search for my son at that point of the game.  I knew I was in for a ride from that point already. 

2)  My heart died for Ethan when Shaun was at his apartment on a custody visit.  "I'll help you do the homework".  I sat at that table with a silent child, eager to help him if he asked, my heart was being TORN APART for Ethan.  That long awkward silence said so much more than a thousand words could have.   

3)  I had such a feeling of happiness for Ethan when he was in the park playing with Shaun, it actually put a smile on my face. 

4)  I was IMMENSELY conflicted on The Shark and The Rat trials.  I had to pause the game at the dealer's door and take a break for an hour, I actually called a friend of mine who is a parent and asked what they would do in that kind of  situation.  Yes, a game actually made me call a friend for moral advice about a VIDEO GAME.  I couldn't bring myself to drink the poison either, not because I didn't want Ethan to die (I didn't) but because it would be the most cruel thing to do to Shaun. 

The game was just...so emotionally draining for me, but so good at the same time.  I wish I could play it all again, knowing nothing I know now.

#15 Posted by ElectricBoogaloo (352 posts) -
@cyclonus007 said:
" @NegativeCreep: Exact same thing happened to me. I'm betting everyone that plays this game is gonna do the same thing. it's such a knee jerk reaction. "
It happened so fast that I didn't even realise what was happening so I missed the button prompt. Good job I have slow reactions haha.
#16 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -

I try to play these games to get the "good" ending but this game allowed me to make the choices I wanted and still give me a really good outcome. When I was presented with the option of killing the drug dealer I paused the game, and really thought about what I would do if presented the situation in real life, I know that even though I would be trying to find my child, that it is not my place to take someones life, no matter the circumstances or what I believe in, Life is something we get once and unless the other person is putting me in danger I would never kill another human being. So I let him live. Ethan was a really awesome character, he was the one I felt the closest to, and the reason for that is because I was able to shape his morals into my own and that is why Heavy Rain with all its plot wholes and cop outs and bugs is still one of the best games to come out in a long time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.