Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

How similar to Indigo Prophecy is Heavy Rain?

Avatar image for completeinanity
    CompleteInanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CompleteInanity

I played the demo for Heavy Rain back when it first hit the PSN. I was intrigued.  After reading the reviews I've been considering picking it up. However...

I knew Quantic Dream had made Indigo Prophecy a few years back, and knew it had generally favorable reviews, so a few weeks back when I saw it on Steam for $3, I picked it up. After playing through it, all I can say is that I absolutely hated it.  Seriously. Like, "I want to mail David Cage a box of dog turds" kind of hatred.

Anyway, I would like to hear from people who've played both Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, how similar are they, as far as gameplay goes?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I would say not so similar that some people weren't more inclined to compare Heavy Rain to games like Shenmue instead of Indigo Prophecy.  Hard to say really.  IP put more time constraints on the player, HR has a bit more openness in the path of the story seemingly.  Heavy Rain never got anywhere near as nuts as IP too, and when it gets a little crazy it's generally more enjoyable.

IP had quicktime events where you had to nail every single button press for like 10 minutes.  Heavy Rain never stops the game even if you fail an entire quicktime event.

Heavy Rain is definitely the better game, but it's still not perfect.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Pretty much what was said above, but Heavy Rain is much more enjoyable than Indigo
    CompleteInanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CompleteInanity
    @Diamond:  Thanks for the reply! The exceptionally long QT events were definitely what bugged me most about Indigo Prophecy. I wasn't even bad at them, they just got annoying. I'll probably pick Heavy Rain up sometime in the near future.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM
    @CompleteInanity said:
    " @Diamond:  Thanks for the reply! The exceptionally long QT events were definitely what bugged me most about Indigo Prophecy. I wasn't even bad at them, they just got annoying. I'll probably pick Heavy Rain up sometime in the near future. "

It's probably 'cause you played them on a harder difficulty than easy when you may have thought you changed it to easy :P. That's what happened to me. Indigo Prophecy is kind of hard on anything but easy. And a lot less enjoyable.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akeldama
    @CompleteInanity: Indigo Prophecy is dated. You probably hated it for that reason. Heavy Rain is the game they wanted to make when they made Indigo Prophecy. 
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mutha3

Heavy Rain is infinitely better then Indigo Prohepcy.

.......It is also infinitely more boring.

Heavy Rain is a thoroughly mediocre, boring thriller with poor voice acting and writing. Indigo Prophecy is a bat shit insane(completely self-serious) story about a man who fights the internet and has sex with his necrophiliac girlfriend.

I cannot see why one would possibly hate Indigo Prophecy, but even if you hated this gem, you'll probably won't like Heavy Rain if you have a discerning eye for quality.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By immike
    @CompleteInanity:  Heavy Rain has a really great story. The only problem is that it is a lot like reading an interactive book. You will play through all of the slows and action-packed chapters. It's safe to say that most of the lows are in the beginning, so you should remain intrigued throughout the rest of the game. I'm not sure though, because if you found Indigo Prophecy boring, Heavy Rain isn't exactly completely different. Still, there is really no reason to own it other than as part of your collection. You can finish the game in a rental period easy and you won't feel a need to revisit it really.
    CompleteInanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CompleteInanity

@NTM: I don't remember selecting a difficulty, but I usually do avoid selecting "easy," so that's a possibility.

@Akeldama:  Hrm, I don't think so. I play a lot of older games, and my dislike didn't have anything to do with graphics. It was mainly the gameplay and the fact that the story took a dump about halfway though.

@immike:  Thanks, I will probably will end up renting, as you suggested. I didn't necessarily find Indigo Prophecy "boring" perse, just aggravating that it gave the illusion of choice, when, aside from a few key times, you were forced to do exactly what the developer wanted you to (mainly, play never-ending games of Simon).

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akeldama
    @CompleteInanity: Im not referring to the graphics. Im saying the gameplay itself is dated.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mutha3
    @immike said:
    " @CompleteInanity:  Heavy Rain has a really great story. The only problem is that it is a lot like reading an interactive book. You will play through all of the slows and action-packed chapters. It's safe to say that most of the lows are in the beginning, so you should remain intrigued throughout the rest of the game. I'm not sure though, because if you found Indigo Prophecy boring, Heavy Rain isn't exactly completely different. Still, there is really no reason to own it other than as part of your collection. You can finish the game in a rental period easy and you won't feel a need to revisit it really. "

wat

Indigo Phrophecy is a lot of things.

Its incomprehensible. Its poorly written. Its weird. Its akin to a fever dream.

But, it is in no way ''boring''.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By niamahai

that lady cop had a nice booty.

also be weary of stereotypical black cop and chinese people.

also get the EU version. it had 1 more extra mini-game.

CompleteInanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CompleteInanity
    @niamahai said:
    "get the EU version. it had 1 more extra mini-game. "
    Ah hah hah, I heard about that. If I really wanted that though, I'd buy a Simon and put it on my wife's stomach :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.