Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

I can't deal with failure

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Edited By Vermy81

So I was very nervous about this through all of Mass Effect 2. 

I couldn't get jack back loyal  despite having a completely full paragon bar, and almost no renegade--but I had sided with Miranda in my confrontation.   I was very apprehensive that not having her loyal meant someone would die.   

Fortunately  I made it through ME2 with everyone unharmed.  Even saved Kelly and the crew thank goodness.   

Enter Heavy Rain.  I've twice failed a challenge so far.  And I just can't deal with it.  It may as well just be a game over screen.   

I have a compulsive need to get the perfect ending in a game.  Fortunately these games don't have the kind of obscene requirements something like FFX2 has where you get the best ending if you play through the game 2-3 times doing every little fucking thing in the game.   It's just do everything and don't fail.   Talk  to everyone, get every upgrade, restart if dude dies.   

I read Peter Molyneux said that when their was a visual penalty for dying in games players couldn't accept it.  He at one point gave you a scar every time you lost a fight in Fable 2 and in play tests players couldn't deal with it.   I understand now, there's just a compulsion to not get a bad outcome that makes it may as well be a game over screen.    

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vermy81

So I was very nervous about this through all of Mass Effect 2. 

I couldn't get jack back loyal  despite having a completely full paragon bar, and almost no renegade--but I had sided with Miranda in my confrontation.   I was very apprehensive that not having her loyal meant someone would die.   

Fortunately  I made it through ME2 with everyone unharmed.  Even saved Kelly and the crew thank goodness.   

Enter Heavy Rain.  I've twice failed a challenge so far.  And I just can't deal with it.  It may as well just be a game over screen.   

I have a compulsive need to get the perfect ending in a game.  Fortunately these games don't have the kind of obscene requirements something like FFX2 has where you get the best ending if you play through the game 2-3 times doing every little fucking thing in the game.   It's just do everything and don't fail.   Talk  to everyone, get every upgrade, restart if dude dies.   

I read Peter Molyneux said that when their was a visual penalty for dying in games players couldn't accept it.  He at one point gave you a scar every time you lost a fight in Fable 2 and in play tests players couldn't deal with it.   I understand now, there's just a compulsion to not get a bad outcome that makes it may as well be a game over screen.    

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By j0rdan

a perfect ending will still require you to replay through again to gain all trophys.
     try to look at it in a different way,  instead of 'failing' a part, your simple pushing the story in a different direction.

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vermy81
    @j0rdan:  
    I don't play games for trophies or achivements at all.  I would only replay a game if I want to play it more.   

As for the pushing the story in a different direction, well it would be one thing if it wasn't stuff like oh in this version such and such died because i failed a QTE.   That may as well just be a game over screen.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.