So, I think I'm Going to Import A Non-English Version for Audio

#1 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

After trying this out, I came to realize it's nothing more than a fancy adventure game I've been playing from Japanese devs...and after heavily playing Shibuya 428, I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English.  
 
How can a Western game have such bad voice acting?  
 
So, my main debate is if I pick up a Japanese or French version...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>
 
What say you lot?

#2 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
"I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English. ...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "
What the FUCK
#3 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I thought the voice acting was pretty good and you just change the spoken language from the options menu. 

#4 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I think I am sticking to English. I would rather put up with bad voice acting then voice acting I can't understand.

#5 Edited by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

I agree, the voice acting is terrible and that's not good for a game like Heavy Rain where conversation and talking is key. I highly doubt they'd make a British speaking version though :P

#6 Edited by Ashwyn (202 posts) -

I have to agree that the voice acting in the demo was horrendous.
 
It reminded me of Magna Carta 2 for some reason :/..

#7 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
" @KaosAngel said:
"I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English. ...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "
What the FUCK "
I really don't like the voice acting for this...I dunno, maybe it's just me...but man, it just isn't hitting a good note with me.
#8 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Are subtitles included?

#9 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@KaosAngel: I found the voice acting perfectly fine, it wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad. All other languages will be just as bad if not worse, and an English version would have the same VO as the American one, as it's meant to be set in America (I think), and the cost would be wasteful.
#10 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
" @KaosAngel: I found the voice acting perfectly fine, it wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad. All other languages will be just as bad if not worse, and an English version would have the same VO as the American one, as it's meant to be set in America (I think), and the cost would be wasteful. "
I actually thought there was good deal of passion or feeling in the voice acting.
#11 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

For 428, what does it have? Do you recommend it for someone learning Japanese? I assume it has kanji with no furigana, because it definitely isn't Zelda. That being said... the learning factor? Does it exist?

#12 Posted by Fallen189 (4971 posts) -

Jesus.

#13 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" For 428, what does it have? Do you recommend it for someone learning Japanese? I assume it has kanji with no furigana, because it definitely isn't Zelda. That being said... the learning factor? Does it exist? "
If you got a buddy to help you out, then it's easily do-able.  At the time, my girlfriend got the game for herself and we played it together on that fancy console that uses that remote.  It's kinda really heavy on Japanese, but it depends on how much you know...and how much you're willing to learn.  if your katakana/hiragana are fine, and your vocal is conversational, and basic kanji is do-able...then this game is totally worth it.
 
Never tried it for PS3, so don't know anything about that version.  I should pick it up for the trophies though.  x.x  
 
Also, someone PMed me and reminded me that first party Sony games are on a BD and almost always have full language support.  So French version it is...or Japanese, or hopefully I get used to this English cast.  >.>
#14 Posted by Binman88 (3685 posts) -

The French voice acting is just as bad. Or at least it sounded as unconvincing in the demo.

#15 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Thanks for the info, I might try it out. I don't think my Japanese is all that good, but I can read hiragana, katakana, and some kanji (depends). I think it would be a good resource perhaps. As long as it isn't complex I  could try.
#16 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:

" @KaosAngel: Thanks for the info, I might try it out. I don't think my Japanese is all that good, but I can read hiragana, katakana, and some kanji (depends). I think it would be a good resource perhaps. As long as it isn't complex I  could try. "

Find a translation guide and don't read too far ahead or else you'll screw yourself over with spoilers.  It's kinda a game you shouldn't read ahead...but rather watch and then read.  >.>
#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Binman88 said:
" The French voice acting is just as bad. Or at least it sounded as unconvincing in the demo. "
How can they screw up the voice acting so bad?!  I mean, it's kinda a big deal with a game like this!  The game's been in development since early 2006...god damn.  Just hire that guy who did the voice in Uncharted 2 for all the male leads.
#18 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

Voice acting one can't understand is usually better than shoddy VA.

#19 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

" @Vinchenzo said:

" For 428, what does it have? Do you recommend it for someone learning Japanese? I assume it has kanji with no furigana, because it definitely isn't Zelda. That being said... the learning factor? Does it exist? "
If you got a buddy to help you out, then it's easily do-able.  At the time, my girlfriend got the game for herself and we played it together on that fancy console that uses that remote.  It's kinda really heavy on Japanese, but it depends on how much you know...and how much you're willing to learn.  if your katakana/hiragana are fine, and your vocal is conversational, and basic kanji is do-able...then this game is totally worth it.  Never tried it for PS3, so don't know anything about that version.  I should pick it up for the trophies though.  x.x    Also, someone PMed me and reminded me that first party Sony games are on a BD and almost always have full language support.  So French version it is...or Japanese, or hopefully I get used to this English cast.  >.> "
ALL PS3 games are on blueray not just first party ones.
#20 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
"ALL PS3 games are on blueray not just first party ones. "
What I meant to say was that I forgot that BDs can hold all the langauges.  >.>
#21 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @trophyhunter said:
"ALL PS3 games are on blueray not just first party ones. "
What I meant to say was that I forgot that BDs can hold all the langauges.  >.> "
ok then carry on
#22 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Translation guide? In English, do you mean? I imagine I'd want to do that myself to practice my Japanese and learn new words.
#23 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -
@KaosAngel:

I just played the demo and I could freely switch between English, German, French, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Italian audio just by going into the start menu - it sucks that there's no Japanese as I study that at uni and would love the practice but you wouldn't need to import a different version as I doubt they'd change this feature in the full release (you can literally change languages mid conversation).


Be warned though, while the German and French ones actually sound really good (I hated the english voice for the FBI agent although Shelby and the hooker were done really well I thought) there is a lip syncing issue - the game was clearly developed with English in mind, despite being made by a French developer so it won't always be perfect. I noticed this while playing it in portuguese (I'm Brazilian) - a lot of talking when lips weren't moving and trying to fit extra syllables into a line.

#24 Posted by NinjaHunter (972 posts) -

Yeah the bad american accents can be a little off putting and I feel that some of the performances are a bit stiff, at least some of the stuff in the demo is. But I don't like having to read subtitles in a game, I'm fine with it in movies but during a game sometimes you would have to split your attention between what you're doing and reading the subtitles at the bottom of the screen. That would ruin the experience more, at least to me.

#25 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Pretty sure Quantic Dream is a French developer.  Just saying.
#26 Posted by jkz (4007 posts) -

Thank GOD I'm not the only one who thought the voice-acting was poor. The game is still intriguing to me, but DAMN some of those people sounded stiff as hell.

#27 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

I'll play it in English for the bad voice acting thank you. Played the first Getaway in Spanish and it was hella dumb too. 
 
Also, everyone should watch Superbad in Spanish and French, the way they change up the jokes is hilarious in and of itself.

#28 Posted by CoinMatze (471 posts) -

Okay, so the game is set in the US but the English voice-acting is bad. It's a French game but the French voice-acting is bad, too. German is my first language but I sure as hell am not gonna play it like that because German VO is the worst. I think I'll just mute the voices, turn on the subtitles, invite some friends over and have them read the lines while I play.

Online
#29 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" After trying this out, I came to realize it's nothing more than a fancy adventure game I've been playing from Japanese devs...and after heavily playing Shibuya 428, I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English.    How can a Western game have such bad voice acting?    So, my main debate is if I pick up a Japanese or French version...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "
No such thing as a British version.
#30 Edited by Mayu_Zane (606 posts) -

The only character with a good English voice actor in the game is Scott Shelby.
 
He sounds world-weary, and obviously had spent some time smoking. However, there's also a kind of mature gentleness in his voice when he's trying to be friendly.

#31 Edited by makari (597 posts) -

English voice acting for Japanese games is bad because they generally mimic the style of Japanese voice actors, which are archetypal and one dimensional to the core. The voice acting in a Japanese version won't be any better, it'll just sounds cooler.

#32 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
" @KaosAngel said:
"I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English. ...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "
What the FUCK "
#33 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -
@makari said:
" English voice acting for Japanese games is bad because they generally mimic the style of Japanese voice actors, which are archetypal and one dimensional to the core. The voice acting in a Japanese version won't any better, it'll just sounds cooler. "
This.
#34 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

What, Swedish? Man, now I got to play this demo. 
Reminds me of what they did to Rachet and Clank: Future, I thought I was hallucinating when I heard Rachet speak Norwegian.
#35 Posted by buzz_clik (6952 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Find a translation guide and don't read too far ahead or else you'll screw yourself over with spoilers.  It's kinda a game you shouldn't read ahead...but rather watch and then read.  >.> "
Personally, I wouldn't think wading through pages of dry text is better than hearing voice over, regardless of the quality of the acting.
Moderator
#36 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

 

 

 

I don't know whether you are taking the piss or not.

 

Kaos, you make me confuzzled, But you know that don't you.

 


 

#37 Posted by juice8367 (443 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
 I highly doubt they'd make a British speaking version though :P "
This
#38 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

The voice acting in this game is pretty darn good. 
 
What the fuck are you on about?

#39 Edited by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

 So, my main debate is if I pick up a Japanese or French version...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "

The British version? There's another language besides English in Britain?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.