Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

The Heaviest of Heavy Rain - My first impressions *no spoilers*

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Edited By simian

First off this is not the graphical powerhouse that it's made out to be. The character models look off and there's a ton of jank in how textures are rendered. At one point a character was rendered with green squares all over her body and at first I wondered if they were supposed to be weird tattoos.  Anyhow...
    This is a tense game. After some chapters I had to either put the controller down and pace for a few minutes or shut the console down. You'd best become familiar (dare I say intimately ?) with your DualShock since at any given moment you might need to pull of a series elaborate button combinations (in sequence or at the same time) that have life or death consequences. Which brings me to next point: for the most part I'm being engaged by the characters on screen. They're all deeply flawed in one way or another (some more than others) but mostly I get their motivations and their goals. Apart from one character who's backstory so far is pretty vague and seems more a sexy plot device then actual story thread the way these characters weave into the overall story is very believable. There's some deus ex machina going on but no more then you'd find in a Stephenson or Gibson novel.
    If ever there was a game that shouldn't have trophies or achievements, this would be it. To me the narrative and how it unfolds through my actions (or inactions) is more important than getting a specific trophy for completing a sequence in a specific manner. Unless I totally mess up to the point that I'm unhappy with the outcome I doubt I'll replay this once finished. Take that as a sign of appreciation for the work created then being bored with the disc.
    Best game of ever? Nah. Best game of this console generation? Hrm it's on the Top XX list but doesn't feel like it (visual issues are keeping it back). Contended for PS3 GotY? Most Def.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By simian

First off this is not the graphical powerhouse that it's made out to be. The character models look off and there's a ton of jank in how textures are rendered. At one point a character was rendered with green squares all over her body and at first I wondered if they were supposed to be weird tattoos.  Anyhow...
    This is a tense game. After some chapters I had to either put the controller down and pace for a few minutes or shut the console down. You'd best become familiar (dare I say intimately ?) with your DualShock since at any given moment you might need to pull of a series elaborate button combinations (in sequence or at the same time) that have life or death consequences. Which brings me to next point: for the most part I'm being engaged by the characters on screen. They're all deeply flawed in one way or another (some more than others) but mostly I get their motivations and their goals. Apart from one character who's backstory so far is pretty vague and seems more a sexy plot device then actual story thread the way these characters weave into the overall story is very believable. There's some deus ex machina going on but no more then you'd find in a Stephenson or Gibson novel.
    If ever there was a game that shouldn't have trophies or achievements, this would be it. To me the narrative and how it unfolds through my actions (or inactions) is more important than getting a specific trophy for completing a sequence in a specific manner. Unless I totally mess up to the point that I'm unhappy with the outcome I doubt I'll replay this once finished. Take that as a sign of appreciation for the work created then being bored with the disc.
    Best game of ever? Nah. Best game of this console generation? Hrm it's on the Top XX list but doesn't feel like it (visual issues are keeping it back). Contended for PS3 GotY? Most Def.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.