Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Helldivers

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 03, 2015

Up to 4 players shoot aliens (and possibly each other) with some help from above in this downloadable shooter for PS3, PS4, Vita and PC.

Is this thing being sent out to die?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I've been keeping an eye on this game for the past month or so, it seemed really interesting. After watching the latest UPF, I definitely am going to purchase it, but this thing isn't even on the PS store yet. This is one of the few exclusives Sony has, it is set to come out tomorrow, and they are doing jack-fuck to actually promote the damn thing. Hell, I'd be surprised if a PS4 owner even knows that it exists.

Sony really needs to get on the ball with this stuff, they are doing an extremely poor job promoting their games/publishing deals. I can't help but feel bad for the developers.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I'm not sure I agree... I dunno. Too hard to say. I have known about it for a really long time. Maybe one of those games suffering from being out there too long but not out out. Anyways I always figured "most" PS4 owners find out about games via the PSN store.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I wish it was a PC game so bad. :(

I still have next to zero reason to buy a next gen console, but I really want to support this game specifically. I love these guys and what they do. And this game looks like a lot of fun in co-op.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Isn't this part of their Spring Time sale? I'd hardly say they're sending it out to die. Not to mention I've seen it a ton on most major gaming websites (GameSpot, IGN, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, etc) for the past week.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To be honest I only knew about it when they played it on UPF but they have been promoting it on the PS Blog.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Junkboy

It's was streamed and shown by tons of folks last week. Most indie digital only games don't get too much press and it really is word of mouth and streamers that really promote a game like this.

I've been obviously looking forward it for quite a while and I do think the delay hurt it but I still think it's just fine in it's current window. The pc thing blows but it is what it is.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The game has been getting a ton of attention from sites and streamers and seen numerous promotions and trailers on the psblog in the last few months. So no not at all.

Screamride fits the bill much better. Microsoft seems like they have totally forgotten about that game since that trailer at last years E3 (I think it was).

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragon_puncher: I feel like Microsoft doesn't care about anything not AAA. It's very clear they are still stuck in the last gen mindset.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Sony has been really bad lately at promoting the games popping up on PSN. I mean we still don't even know what this months PS+ releases will be.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Honkalot

@doctordonkey said:

I've been keeping an eye on this game for the past month or so, it seemed really interesting. After watching the latest UPF, I definitely am going to purchase it, but this thing isn't even on the PS store yet. This is one of the few exclusives Sony has, it is set to come out tomorrow, and they are doing jack-fuck to actually promote the damn thing. Hell, I'd be surprised if a PS4 owner even knows that it exists.

Sony really needs to get on the ball with this stuff, they are doing an extremely poor job promoting their games/publishing deals. I can't help but feel bad for the developers.

I've seen a lot about it from different outlets, so it seems to me that it's been out there at least.

As far as it not being on the PSN Store that is basically the same for every download-only game. It has happened to me a lot of time that if you look 10 minutes before a game is released there is literally ZERO information about it on PSN. Then as soon as they enter a next release day it will show up.

It was like this for Spelunky and BoI: Rebirth as well, zero mentions and then when the clock hit the right hour they showed up.

EDIT: It is even worse for the monthly PS+ free games. Here in Europe we get them a couple days after they are available in the US. Even days after they are available as free for US players there is zero mention about them on the EU PSN store.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: Yeah it's the first game kicking off that promo.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, it's gotten a ton of coverage and will be on the front page of their spring sale.

I think it'll do just fine.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone tell me if cross play means I can play on PS3 with a friend on their PS4?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@yothatlimp: Exactly what that means. You could also throw a Vita in there as well.

Lethargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Promoting it by posting about it on their blog? That's literally free: zero marketing. Hell, it wasn't even on their "Coming Soon" section in the store. Arrowhead did much more promoting the game.

I think they really don't know when they have a gem on their hands. Imagine if this thing had the fraction of a marketing budget The Order did. They have a gem on their hands and they won't realize it until it sells a ton of copies.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This an modest budget downloadable title, it's obviously not going to get a major ad campaign. But they gave it screentime at their press conferences, and their PR people have been pushing it at the press quite effectively given the amount of coverage it's getting. If you want to talk about being sent out to die, Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is a much better example. It was a full retail JRPG in Japan, here it's getting no promotion whatsoever and and the press barely seems to know it exists.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think it's going to do fine, word of mouth seems to be on it's side, I just got convinced to buy it by someone who was convinced to buy it.... this person isn't the sort of guy that buys many indie games.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By A_Faceless_Name

They had people streaming it almost a week before release, and the people were allowed to talk about what they liked. They did a lot better than many other games. Sadly, few of the download only games can afford that much of a budget. They can put it on their own site/blog, front page of the PS store, and they can let game sites and streamers loose on it.

What else do you want to see? Print is dead and not worth it. Ad blocker makes buying site ads borderline useless. TV? expensive and with all the on-demand and DVR commercials do not reach as far.

At the end of the day, most good games that aren't AAA need the lovers of the game to spread the word. And Helldivers is awesome and I am spreading the love.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@jesushammer: I think for them it makes sense. Indies aren't going to move consoles. At the end of the day those games are still the ones that will drive the mainstream purchasers. They might lose out on some core gamers because of it but I think they are still banking on the Madden/Call of Duty crowd carrying them again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.