Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hellgate: London

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 31, 2007

From Flagship Studios, whose founders were involved with the creation of the award-winning Diablo series, comes the similarly loot-driven Hellgate: London, a futuristic third/first person action-RPG set in post-apocalyptic London.

Is this really that bad of a game?

mac512k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mac512k

I kind of want to play this game. I really don't care about playing the online mode and I hear that's the part that's really jacked up.  As a game it self, is it any good? Is it worth getting at a discounted price? Or should I just pass this up and hold out for Diablo 3?

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vash108

It just isn't a finished game. I can honestly tell you that you are not  missing anything.

Doobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doobit

I actually think it's a fun distraction. I've only been playing single player, got a lvl 17 engineer, 20 marksman and a 21 guardian... so i guess I've spent a decent amount of time with it and I'm still into it. Each of those classes certainly have their own unique play-style and while the melee combat seemed really stiff and awkward to control at first you get used to it, my guardian is now pretty neat to play with his shield skills and such.

There's a nice array of weapons and items with different effects, obviously loot is the main component of the game and i think they do a decent job of it. But then i actually enjoy going though my collection of 80 odd mods trying to get the highest ratings and most  useful effects out of my weapons. So if that doesn't sound like you then i wouldn't recommend it.

I do get the feeling though that at lvl 20ish (high end skills req lvl 30 and i don't even know how high the level cap is) I've probably already seen everything the game has to offer. The quests are mindless and repetitive and i gave up following the story pretty quickly. I also wouldn't be surprised if i keep getting the same monsters over and over again from this point on.

But hey, I've already got more gameplay out of it then MGS4 and I'm sure I'll continue to get at least one character maxed out. So at a discount price... I say why the hell not!

(wow look at me babble on, if i was a little more eloquent I might actually post this as a review)

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By jimbo_n

The game itself is actually really sweet if youre an old school PC Diablo fan. The thing is that at the release the game still had looads of bugs and felt very unfinished and was quickly thrown to the wolves. Today is a completely different story. This is today an incredibly satisfying dungeon crawl and whether you like the setting or not, the spirit of old school Diablo lives on in this game. With most of the serious bugs out of the way this is something I would recommend you pick up if you like these kinds of games. Dont play offline tho. Its just unessesary. Might aswell go online from the beginning and have at least some interactions with chat and crowded stations.
    I played it for months at the release, despite the bugs but was forced to put it down due to the bugs. Im now picking it up again to continue where I left off. The depth of the classes and the game comes pretty late tho so make sure you level to 30 and beyond before jumping to another class. For a discount I would say go for it!!

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Psynapse

Hmm i might start playing it again, i played for about a month or so when it originally came out and stopped because i was sick of playing in a party and having to go through the portals numerous times because our bodies were invisible or something like that... But yeh, its not that much of a bad game... As long as the bugs are fixed up i'd be happy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.