Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Her Story

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 24, 2015

Players must search a fictional police database and watch live-action interviews of a woman whose husband went missing. The game is from Sam Barlow, the director of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Aisle.

****SUPER SPOILERY POLL**** What do you think is going on in the story of Her Story?

• 134 results
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

MattyFTM  Moderator

Poll ****SUPER SPOILERY POLL**** What do you think is going on in the story of Her Story? (588 votes)

Hannah and Eve are twins 64%
    Hannah and Eve are one person with a split personality disorder. 35%

YO, YOU SHOULDN'T READ THIS UNLESS YOU'RE DONE WITH THIS GAME!!!! SUPER SPOILERY SHIT UP IN HERE!!!!

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around the story in this game, and I really don't know what to think. On the one hand, the twins story that is told is sooooo far fetched. That a girl could live in the attic for so many years and no one would notice. That they could exist switching in and out for eachother for so long. Even the story of how Eve was separated from Hannah at birth seems so far fetched. Them being one person with a split personality disorder seems so logical. The fact that she makes a big deal about Hannah being a palindrome, and Eve also being a palindrome makes it seem like she has constructed this alternate personality in her mind. Everything makes sense...

Apart from the tattoo. On the second interview (on 25/06/94) she is wearing short sleeves and has no tattoo. On the 1/7/94, she has a tattoo that she claims she has had for eight years. Heck, even on the day before, the 30/6/94, her sleeves are short enough that you would be able to see the tattoo. There is no way she could have got that tattoo in one day. So they have to be twins, right? But that's massively far fetched. It's impossible. But the tattoo is impossible if they're the same person. I just have these two impossibilities circling around in my head at the moment. I want to hear other peoples thoughts on it.

• 
    goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

god dammit this game.... i was 100% sure it was twins at 75% completion, but then i read a whole bunch online... I DONT KNOW ANYMORE HELP !

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's two people. From everything I understand about split personality disorder the separate personalities are unaware of each other which doesn't match up with Hannah/Eve's practice of keeping everything the same between themselves.

A lot of the game is left ambiguous since we can't see the evidence, hear the detective's questions, or really know for sure whether or not Hannah/Eve is telling the truth. However for what it's worth in the final interview she says she passed every question on the lie detector except for the name, when she identified herself as Hannah. We can assume that the detectives would have asked her questions about her story and the whole twins thing.

The tattoo and the Glasgow alibi are the strongest pieces of evidence for her being twins. Also Hannah says she became infertile after her miscarriage (which was ten years before the interviews), yet Eve is pregnant during the interviews and her daughter Sarah is the game's protagonist. Unless she was lying about her infertility there would have to be two of them.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

It's at 50/50 right now, which I find pretty stunning. I never for a second thought it was a split personality situation. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I also think them being twins just makes for a better story. It gives these two characters a complex history with a long series of events and decisions that all lead to Simon's murder. If it's a split personality, she's just mentally ill. The question "do you understand why your mother did what she did?" becomes pointless. Obviously I can't. How could I?

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mentioned it a comment on the quick look but you can bring up a couple of videos where each has a bruise on the opposite cheek.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't know what to think! The tattoo and bruise inconsistencies are the two biggest things for me in favor of it being two separate people. Lie detectors are infamous for being bullshit so I don't think that really helps(and the fact that she calls herself Hannah and it's wrong can work for both sides of the argument I think). Keep in mind, I don't know enough about multiple personality disorders to know if a situation like this is even possible.

Them being split personality makes the most sense to me though. For one some of the things they would have gotten away with their entire lives are insane. Eve's mother dying and her sneaking across the street into an attic? Then secretly living there for her entire life and even basically going halfsies on life with Hannah? The fact that no one would notice that is kind of absurd. That aside, there's one small detail I keep coming back to. When you choose to "finish" the game, you're asked "do you understand why your mother did what she did?" At this point, it's clear you're playing as Sarah, who is likely Eve's daughter. I'll come back to this in a bit though, but if Hannah is the murderer then that question doesn't make a ton of sense.

Here's the version of the story that for me makes the most sense at the moment. Hannah was born with a twin(potentially planned to be name Eve) at birth, but complications arose and Eve ended up dying. Hannah developed split personality at the age(7?) where Eve claims that Florence died and she escaped into Hannah's attic. Eventually, Hannah meets Simon and Eve becomes repressed around him. That is, until he runs into "Eve" in the wild. Simon not being able to recognize and identical twin of his wife is kind of crazy, so it's possible he in fact recognized this not as a twin, but as his wife, and decided to play along with this new secret he discovered. Hannah becomes pregnant by Simon at some point. This is partially where it breaks. Eve bemoans her inability to become pregnant despite sleeping an an apparently large number of men in attempt. If it were split personality, then you would think she would "become pregnant" after the first one. Unless of course by this point the pregnancy had already fallen through, however that conflicts with the idea that the miscarriage happened when "Eve" got an STD. The more I think about it the more the pregnancy lends credence to the idea that they were two separate people. Though I guess it's all a matter of the "real" timeline. Anyway, still operating under the assumption that split personality doesn't all fall apart there, as a little bonus, Hannah/Eve murdered her/their parents(as the father was an expert on mushrooms and both of the women could identify death caps). Reason unknown. Anyway, during the little game Simon for whatever reasons presents the same exact present to both Hannah and "Eve"(Hannah disguised as Eve) (even if they're two separate people I still don't think this makes a ton of sense, especially after Hannah proposed that Eve move in with them). Simon is then murdered and the interviews begin.

The one thing I didn't touch on is the Glasgow alibi. I find that to be something of a red herring. I may be remembering/interpreting incorrectly, but I remember Eve implying that Simon's watch had been manipulated to make the murder appear as though it happened during the incident in Glasgow. I believe in that same clip Eve mentions how she basically walked in on the murder.

Going back to the question "Do you understand why your mother did what she did?". I find this question to be the thing I'm thinking about the most recently. Here's the scenarios in which I can justify the answer "yes"

Assumptions: Two separate people. Hannah is the mother.

Why: Jealous rage, a feeling that Eve has destroyed her life when she was finally "free" of their bond(the interviews with Hannah make it pretty clear there is animosity there).

Assumptions: Split Personality

Why: Same answers as above, with mental illness thrown in.

Assumptions: Separate people, Eve is the mother, Eve is the actual murderer

Why: Eve murdered simon for tearing them apart and (attempted to) frame Hannah because of the pregnancy.

I can't imagine any of those being very satisfying for Sarah, or for the players(myself included). But I do have my newest theory brought about by someone mentioning that Eve maybe went down as an accessory. This is also my favorite, despite being mostly in camp split personality.

Assumptions: Different people, Eve is the mother, Hannah is the murderer.

Why: If those are true, it seems very likely from the interviews that Hannah is going to take the fall for it. Eve still reveals the whole plan and her involvement. It's also pretty clear that Eve is way more committed to the idea of the two of them being identical than Hannah. In fact, in the final interview there's a coldness from Eve and a resentment toward everything that ever made them different and an apparent longing to repair what once was. As such, being aware that Hannah was going to go prison for the murder, Eve wanted to ensure that she went to. Eve and Hannah would be forced back together(and in Eve's mind, she had to be wherever Hannah was) and they would continue their doppleganger lifestyle. So basically, she was crazy and being "one" with Hannah was more important than anything else in the world.

Despite spilling over this stuff time and time again in my head, I still don't know what to believe.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

That is, until he runs into "Eve" in the wild. Simon not being able to recognize and identical twin of his wife is kind of crazy, so it's possible he in fact recognized this not as a twin, but as his wife, and decided to play along with this new secret he discovered.

Are you referring to when Simon showed up at the bar where Eve was performing? From what I understood, this was after Hannah revealed the truth to Simon about her and Eve, and they had their huge argument. He went to see Eve out of curiosity. Eve had been on her own for years at that point, and because she was no longer posing as Hannah, had started to look different from her. Plus, the wig.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

@spunkyhepanda said:
    @yi_orange said:

That is, until he runs into "Eve" in the wild. Simon not being able to recognize and identical twin of his wife is kind of crazy, so it's possible he in fact recognized this not as a twin, but as his wife, and decided to play along with this new secret he discovered.

Are you referring to when Simon showed up at the bar where Eve was performing? From what I understood, this was after Hannah revealed the truth to Simon about her and Eve, and they had their huge argument. He went to see Eve out of curiosity. Eve had been on her own for years at that point, and because she was no longer posing as Hannah, had started to look different from her. Plus, the wig.

He knew it was Hannah's sisters who he was cheating with. Eve said how simon told her (on a subsequent date after the bar encounter) that she was so different from his wife except in looks, which made her laugh because they're twins and thats ironic/not true at all. The wig was part of her act in the bar and simon knew that, but always liked blondes. In another clip, hannah talks about how "the one's close to you know exactly just where to hurt you the most" or something.

Simon wanted revenge on hannah for their marital prolblems, so he slept with eve and unfortunately got her pregnant. Eve had Sarah.

In this way he found a way to hurt her the most. Hannah had to share her whole life with her secret twin, eve. Now she is sharing her husband with eve! Hannah tried to get a kid but didn't get one. Now eve has one!

Simon's a dick.

Eelvac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldenmnk: Dude I thought the opposite at the end and now the internet has completely messed me up. WILL WE EVER KNOW THE TRUTH???

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:
    @spunkyhepanda said:
    @yi_orange said:

He knew it was Hannah's sisters who he was cheating with. Eve said how simon told her (on a subsequent date after the bar encounter) that she was so different from his wife except in looks, which made her laugh because they're twins and thats ironic/not true at all. The wig was part of her act in the bar and simon knew that, but always liked blondes. In another clip, hannah talks about how "the one's close to you know exactly just where to hurt you the most" or something.

Simon wanted revenge on hannah for their marital prolblems, so he slept with eve and got her pregnant and Eve had Sarah.

In this way he found a way to hurt her the most. Hannah had to share her whole life with her secret twin, eve. Now she is sharing her husband with eve! Hannah tried to get a kid but didn't get one. Now eve has one!

Simon's a dick.

Yeah, he knew it was Eve. I thought there was something in there about how he hardly recognized her when he saw her or something, but I could be wrong. I didn't think Simon's affair with Eve was a revenge thing so much. I think he realized that because they had both lived as Hannah, he had fallen in love with Eve just the same as with Hannah. And that was before she left, before he and Hannah had gotten married, before the miscarriage. When it was still new and exciting. He wanted that feeling back.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:
    @spunkyhepanda said:
    @yi_orange said:

Simon wanted revenge on hannah for their marital problems, so he slept with eve and got her pregnant and Eve had Sarah.

Simon's a dick.

Yeah, he knew it was Eve. I thought there was something in there about how he hardly recognized her when he saw her or something, but I could be wrong. I didn't think Simon's affair with Eve was a revenge thing so much. I think he realized that because they had both lived as Hannah, he had fallen in love with Eve just the same as with Hannah. And that was before she left, before he and Hannah had gotten married, before the miscarriage. When it was still new and exciting. He wanted that feeling back.

That makes sense actually! I never figured out why they did the switching back and forth on dates thing. Maybe they were just messing with their suitors, maybe they wanted to see which one got along best with the guy, maybe they literally wanted to share the person they fell in love with? I don't know. I suppose two consecutive boyfriends would have been able to figure out they had seen two different people if they each committed to dating one boyfriend at a time.

Don't cheat on your wife with your wife's twin though! Just a general rule of thumb!

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By octaslash

I was very convinced that they were the same person and "the attic" was just her brain. I don't normally jump to ridiculous conspiracies, but honestly, it actually seems slightly less ridiculous then the alternative. The way they talk about each other is so insane, mental illness was my first assumption. I guess it's time to go through the tapes again.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't have much to add to this conversation but I would like to say but I think its great that a game can bring about these sorts of discussions. Even if the game is not a big "AAA" experience.

bigman38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of the order I watched some key clips I figured it was one person and the rest of the game was filling in some gaps in what happened and her backstory. It's the simplest answer, being twins would require a large amount of very complicated events that lasted for 20+ years to keep it secret.

Most of the case for it being twins(tattoo, infertility, etc.) assumes she's not lying about different events, which I don't think you can ever do. With the lie detector test, as long as the Hannah personality was the murderer and the Eve personality is taking the test she could tell what she believes to be the truth and pass.

She couldn't get pregnant because she already was, and the STD either caused the miscarriage or was a made up explanation for what was happening to Eve's body during the miscarriage. She identifies the pregnancy with the Hannah personality, so she's unable to associate that same pregnancy with Eve's personality.

I think the overall story is about the player's friend helping her understand her mother's mental illness a little better and understanding that she was sick, not evil.

Somewhat new to the forums, very cool to see some discussion about these weird indie games that few people play. Especially in a game like this where people come to such different conclusions.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikemcn

@bigman38 said:

I think the overall story is about the player's friend helping her understand her mother's mental illness a little better and understanding that she was sick, not evil.

I'm still in the twin camp 100% because I think the tattoo and bruise were meant to differentiate the two, a well as small things, like one sister taking tea with sugar, the other just taking plain.

But when I finished, I said I understood "Why" she did what she did, but I don't know if I do. Her husband's mistreatment of her and affair, combined with the troubles Hannah encountered through her life , would justify her snapping like that and slashing simon. However... Why is it that the sister who had the good life and wasn't stolen from the womb by a midwife, who got to live a normal life until she invited her twin into it, was the crazy one? That doesn't make sense to me. But eve's testimony that Hannah killed him, combined with the story of the poisoned mushrooms killing their biological parents (Not an accident for sure) and hannah admitting to holding eve's head under water and liking the feeling of being able to drown someone convinced me it's the best scenario.

If they were the same person, then yea, she was 100% coocoo and half of her thought she was an orphaned attic-twin, and the other thought she was a normal person with homicidal tendencies despite a pleasant upbringing. In that case I would say I do understand why she killed the guy and her parents. But the seperate twins scenario just seems fishy when it comes to understanding why the murders happened.

Also if everyone thinks eve was the killer, well fuck then we'll never know! I found nothing in the end that linked her to the actual throat cutting and I looked all over!

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

@bigman38 said:

I'm still in the twin camp 100% because I think the tattoo and bruise were meant to differentiate the two, a well as small things, like one sister taking tea with sugar, the other just taking plain.

But when I finished, I said I understood "Why" she did what she did, but I don't know if I do. Her husband's mistreatment of her and affair, combined with the troubles Hannah encountered through her life , would justify her snapping like that and slashing simon. However... Why is it that the sister who had the good life and wasn't stolen from the womb by a midwife, who got to live a normal life until she invited her twin into it, was the crazy one? That doesn't make sense to me. But eve's testimony that Hannah killed him, combined with the story of the poisoned mushrooms killing their biological parents (Not an accident for sure) and hannah admitting to holding eve's head under water and liking the feeling of being able to drown someone convinced me it's the best scenario.

If they were the same person, then yea, she was 100% coocoo and half of her thought she was an orphaned attic-twin, and the other thought she was a normal person with homicidal tendencies despite a pleasant upbringing. In that case I would say I do understand why she killed the guy and her parents. But the seperate twins scenario just seems fishy when it comes to understanding why the murders happened.

Also if everyone thinks eve was the killer, well fuck then we'll never know! I found nothing in the end that linked her to the actual throat cutting and I looked all over!

That's funny, because I came away from it thinking that Eve was "the crazy one", though I'm now having a hard time remembering specifics. I feel like Eve was the one most obsessed with their twin rules and staying the same. I assume she was the one who killed Florence.

Now... the death of the parents is the one thing that's driving me nuts. If you search 'death', you get two videos: one of Hannah, one of Eve. They both express the same doubts about it being an accident. They both bring up that their dad was a mushroom expert. If Hannah or Eve killed them, why would they offer up that information? And, bigger question: why would one of them kill their parents? If there's a clip that talks about some kind of abuse, I haven't seen it.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@yi_orange: You missed the scenario that is. They are twins.

S.B. asking 'if you understood why your mother did what she did', is not referring to her dad being killed before she was born.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain: Two of my scenarios are them being separate people. I didn't use the term twins, but I figured that was obvious.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the stuff I've seen of the game the most damning thing that popped out to me was how they speak about things that happened to the other one as if they were there. But that might just be the game being a game and trying to blur the lines as much as possible.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rethla

The only way this makes sense to me is if its one crazy person. The tattoo and bruise is no problem to fake as it is indeed faked by the actress. The randomness about her coffee and tea preferences makes it seems like she cant remember what shes supposed to like and it all gets messy.

With it being a game and most of the information is kept away from the player i dont think theres anything in there that can exclude one of the scenarios without doubt so there is no true story.

Edit: Although there is that deal with with mismatching fingerprints and speeding tickets which supports it being two separate persons.... damn this

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I really don't see any way for it to be one person, at the very least simply because of the tattoo and the bruise.

@spunkyhepanda said:

And, bigger question: why would one of them kill their parents?

The specifics of the parents' death is never spelled out in any of the videos, but I think Eve would've had more than enough motivation to want to do it. She also has another suspicious death in her past (the accidental death of the woman that raised her), so there's the possibility of homicidal tendencies prior to that. In both cases, you could make the case that it was at least partially motivated by a desire to eliminate people coming between her and her sister.

We also know Hannah has some similar personality traits given that at one point she almost drowned Eve.

Itrytobreathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Itrytobreathe

There is also a case to be said for the idea that they were indeed twins at one point in time, but Hannah had actually killed Eve as a child and went on to develop a split personality to "keep Eve alive" within her, in a sense. The fact that 'Eve' sings "Oh The Wind & Rain", with the content of the lyrics of that song being two people falling in love with the same man and one of them being killed by the other surely can't be a coincidence (wait, can it?!).

Overall, it definitely seems like there is no one definitive story that is made apparent to the player, which is precisely the point of the game - it's deliberately ambiguous in order for people to come to their own conclusions. There seems to be evidence pointing to the 'twins' story, the 'split personality' story and maybe even a mixture of the two.

Honestly, I came off the story pretty damn sure that they were actual twins (given the speeding tickets, hospital records and other evidence), but the more I read about it the more complex everything gets and now I don't even know what to think. But goddamn, I loved the experience. It's truly masterful storytelling, in my opinion.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By imsh_pl

In a game that is all about picking up on the slightest hints and the most subtle ques, just straight up showing a person with and without a clearly visible tattoo seems like a pretty crude way to reveal the biggest mystery in the game. Whoop-de-fucking-doo, this person doesn't have an obviosly placed tattoo the size of an apple in the middle of their arm, so they can't be the same people!

It just seems like a total red herring to me. I mean, if in some interviews the woman had blonde hair, we wouldn't take it to prove that these are two different people, would we?

You can get a tattoo in a pack of chips. If anything, the idea that Hannah/Eve had it made to fool the police into pursuing a non-existent twin seems more probable to me.

That coupled with the implausible logistics behind two actual human beings being one person throughout 30 or so years makes me inclined to believe that Hannah and Eve are the same person.

Keep in mind that this doesn't have to be a medically accurate case of a split personality disorder. If anything, the woman has two personalities that attempt to match each other in every way. And I don't think the author would expect the reader to be well-versed with the specifics of the extent of a mental disease.

Of course the brilliance of the game is to not have a conclusive scenario, and I could be totally wrong on this.

EDIT: There's also another HUGE piece of evidence in favor of them being the same person. Hannah mentions that when they were young, they wanted to follow Bob Dylan on a tour, and drove around in a cab; but the cab driver questioned their age so he took them to the police.

And here's the thing: Hannah says that her parents took them from the police station, where she blamed everything on her friend Eve. But if Eve were real then the parents would have seen them together at that very moment! They were literally caught by the police, there is no 'Eve went to hiding' on this one, if they were two people then the parents would have arrived into a police station and see their daughter ALONG WITH AN IDENTICAL TWIN and absolutely lose their shit. But, seeing how Eve is made up, the parents saw the 'it's my friend Eve's fault' excuse as either as a made up excuse of a child who has an imaginary friend (or is talking about a real friend who is not there at the moment).

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By imsh_pl

@octaslash said:

I was very convinced that they were the same person and "the attic" was just her brain. I don't normally jump to ridiculous conspiracies, but honestly, it actually seems slightly less ridiculous then the alternative. The way they talk about each other is so insane, mental illness was my first assumption. I guess it's time to go through the tapes again.

Holy shit, that DOES make a lot of sense since she explicitly says that once Heve (yes that's my name for them) and Simon moved into the old house, Simon never went into the attic. Which, like, come on, who does that unless you have like a hornet hive or a bear nest up there.

And also the attic is where the other is hidden away when one of them is 'out there'.

You are a genius sir!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think the idea of a small girl living in a families attic for YEARS without being found out is a much bigger stretch than them not being one person. The theory I gravitated towards from the start was multiple personality or something of that ilk. The whole midwife story seems incredibly far fetched and weird..

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl said:
    @octaslash said:

Holy shit, that DOES make a lot of sense since she explicitly says that once Heve (yes that's my name for them) and Simon moved into the old house, Simon never went into the attic. Which, like, come on, who does that unless you have like a hornet hive or a bear nest up there.

And also the attic is where the other is hidden away when one of them is 'out there'.

You are a genius sir!

That Simon and their parents never went up to the attic is one thing but that the Police didnt bother going up there when they where investigating the poisoned couple is suspicious to say the least...

On the other hand she is clearly describing the attic to the detective and talking about the blond Repunzel doll etc. and at that point the Police had made a search and a cleanup in the house so they should know if it checks out or not.

Im still leaning on the one crazy serial murder person theory, for all we now she could have made up the Eve story during the intorregation just to put the blame on a imaginary person. She does say its all just stories so...

They probably locked her up in an insane asylum and her daugther is digging through these files to understand her Mothers illness.

Avatar image for mechamarshmallow
    MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, as much as I think there is some interesting evidence that it could be just one person, the fact that the police found a whole lot of unknown fingerprints without any other explanation than it being the one who's prints did not get taken pretty much tells me that they are twins. I've not seen anything in the game to suggest there was any other way of them getting there.

A lot of the things that happen in the story like living in the attic for years and somehow getting out of the Bob Dylan situation without being found out are far-fetched, I will agree, but for me it comes down to this being a pretty well written story. In fiction, it's perfectly fair to have something very unlikely happen as long as you give an explanation, no matter how flaky it is. 'They never went up there' or 'I blamed it on my friend, and they believed me.' But very rarely will you have a true red herring inserted to trick the reader in to believing something to be true without eventually admitting that there was another method by which it could have got there.

Of course, given the number of odd and shaky details in both possible explanations, it could well be the case that the author wanted to make it a story where either interpretation could be equally true, and it's your choice which you want it to be. Even if that was the case, I'd probably still choose to believe the twins story. It feels like it carries a lot more emotional weight and meaning than the 'she's nutso' one.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rethla

@mechamarshmallow said:

Personally, as much as I think there is some interesting evidence that it could be just one person, the fact that the police found a whole lot of unknown fingerprints without any other explanation than it being the one who's prints did not get taken pretty much tells me that they are twins. I've not seen anything in the game to suggest there was any other way of them getting there.

Yeh the fingerprints are alluring like everything else. I mean it kinda proves that there has been a third person in the crimescene but if anything that just checks out Hannahs story. The "hidden twin theory" aint exactly the go to explanation for a set of unknown fingerprints on a crimescene.

What if Simon has a twin eh? :) Or what if Simon was cheating with someone, Diana as an example?

MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@mechamarshmallow said:

Yeh the fingerprints are alluring like everything else. I mean it kinda proves that there has been a third person in the crimescene but if anything that just checks out Hannahs story. The "hidden twin theory" aint exactly the go to explanation for a set of unknown fingerprints on a crimescene.

What if Simon has a twin eh? :) Or what if Simon was cheating with someone, Diana as an example?

Well, this is the part where this being a well written story is important. Usually you won't have things like a second twin or an affair without at least a good bit of hinting at them. Even if there are some pretty shaky explanations for some of the things on the 'twins' side of things, they are still explanations which gives them credence in fiction. The number of things that conflict with the crazy theory which aren't even addressed as having other explanations in-world is such that I don't believe having her being split personality was the author's intent.

Of course, 'La mort de l'autheur' and all that. We don't have to read the story with the author's intent in mind, but the lack of significant in-story explanations that any of these things were true makes it feel like a clumsy explanation to me.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rethla

@mechamarshmallow: There are no outright explanations but there are things that can be taken as subtle hints.

She sourly states that "Simon loves blondes" and there is that hair they found and all the time Simon spends at the bar. I also get the impression there never was two mirrors, one of the mirrors is the murderweapon and when she gets the question about the other mirror she avoidingly answears that she put it in a "safe place".

MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@mechamarshmallow: There are no outright explanations but there are things that can be taken as subtle hints.

She sourly states that "Simon loves blondes" and there is that hair they found and all the time Simon spends at the bar. I also get the impression there never was two mirrors, one of the mirrors is the murderweapon and when she gets the question about the other mirror she avoidingly answears that she put it in a "safe place".

The thing with blondes, fair enough. Hannah didn't know about the twin at that point so that could have been a veeeery subtle suggestion at an affair with Helen. I assumed it was simply hinting at what was to come, the significance of the wig.

The mirror makes sense, though. I mean, she has the intact mirror as evidence in one video. In the twin theory, it's Eve answering that question, and Hannah received both of the mirrors. She wouldn't necessarily know where the intact one was, and didn't want to let on to the truth about there being two.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was team split personally after my play through. Then someone pointed out the tattoo and it made me wonder. After reading this thread, I'm back on board with team split personality.

Sarah was the name Hannah was going to give the daughter she miscarried. Simon wanted to call it Ava. I feel like there's some significance there.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still on the 'twins' side of the discussion but wavered between the two as I was playing. I guess it depends on the order in which you unlock the key interviews.

Got a friend who's ex murder police and I'd love to hear his thoughts on the game. Maybe once he's finished with bloody Batman...

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't see any way for it to be one person, at the very least simply because of the tattoo and the bruise.

@spunkyhepanda said:

And, bigger question: why would one of them kill their parents?

The specifics of the parents' death is never spelled out in any of the videos, but I think Eve would've had more than enough motivation to want to do it. She also has another suspicious death in her past (the accidental death of the woman that raised her), so there's the possibility of homicidal tendencies prior to that. In both cases, you could make the case that it was at least partially motivated by a desire to eliminate people coming between her and her sister.

We also know Hannah has some similar personality traits given that at one point she almost drowned Eve.

In the case of the midwife, this is someone who stole Eve from her family as a baby and kept her locked away throughout her childhood. When Eve read this in Florence's diaries, it's only natural she snapped. And at this point, she was still a kid. 8 or so, I think?

Now compare that to the death of the parents. This was a few months after Hannah's miscarriage, so they were 17-18. Eve had been able to live a sort of normal life as Hannah (about half the time, anyway), and was cared for by their parents just the same. She must have felt something for them. Killing Florence was likely a crime of passion, but the poisoning of the parents would have been planned. If Eve were going to kill them, I would think it would be shortly after Florence's death. She had just killed to get her freedom, and now she had to hide away again. It could have been a misguided attempt to let them both live normal lives. The only other potential trigger I can point to is the "shotgun wedding". If it seemed as though their parents were forcing Hannah and Simon to marry, that could be a motive. But I didn't get the impression Hannah was forced into anything. She wanted to marry Simon. She decided that Eve wouldn't be a part of their new life. If Eve were going to kill anyone, it seems like it would be Hannah. Or if not Hannah, then Simon. The timing doesn't make sense either. The parents died several months after Hannah had already moved out. Why then?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda: maybe Eve wanted Hannah to inherit the house. Hannah had moved in with Simons parents and Eve was alone. Maybe Eve missed her life with Hannah so much she thought if Hannah had the house back Eve could live in the attic again like the old days? I'm still team split on this, but I think that makes sense for a team twins perspective?

MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad said:

@spunkyhepanda: maybe Eve wanted Hannah to inherit the house. Hannah had moved in with Simons parents and Eve was alone. Maybe Eve missed her life with Hannah so much she thought if Hannah had the house back Eve could live in the attic again like the old days? I'm still team split on this, but I think that makes sense for a team twins perspective?

That totally makes sense to me. Hannah and Simon living with Simon's parents made it impossible for Eve to be with her sister or with Simon (at least until later when she met him elsewhere). The mushroom thing suggests that it was either suicide, Hannah or Eve, and Eve is the one with the motive to have Hannah and Simon living by themselves.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By kewlsnake

Great topic. And here I thought I was smart for picking up that the one likes black coffee and the other one likes tea with sugar!

I'm assuming that it's a mental disorder thing and anything that implies that they could be twins I'd explain away with Hannah doing everything she can to make it look like they're two different persons like the tattoo or there being 2 different mirrors. And anything that can't be explained with that, I'd attribute to Sam Barlow being purposefully cheeky so that people would talk about his game more!

I thought that in how she kept talking about "reflection" that it was pretty obvious she had this thing with mirrors/glass from a very young age and that she saw someone else in there.

Still, reading that you're Sarah at the end gave me a whiplash since I was.(and still am) so convinced that she has multiple personality disorder. But that would mean that she's imagining things on so many levels. Besides having her life as Hannah and Eve, she would have to deny having Sarah as a daughter while possibly still taking caring of her? Or maybe her "miscarriage" was giving away Sarah to another person (maybe someone named Florence, hah!) because they were too poor to take care of her.

I finished the game today with all the clips and never was able to figure out the perfect match thing where you put words between quotation marks. Are you supposed to enter the whole script of a video? When I search for "You want me to play something?" (with quotation marks) it doesn't find it nor does it find "the wind and the rain". It was only useful in the slightest when looking for the lie detector answers.

Also, do the knock codes mean anything?

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By customotto

@planetfunksquad said:

This is what I assumed. Eve hated being separated from Hannah and being unable to share Simon.

It's also pretty clear to me that Eve killed her "adoptive" mother because there's a clip where she compares Florence to Gothel from the Rapunzel story. She wanted to be free from the witch so she could be with her "reflection."

As to who killed Simon, though I'm not sure whether to entirely believe Eve during the final interview, she does mention that Simon hit Hannah and Hannah did have a bruise.

edit: If that last point seems off-topic it's because I was reading multiple threads at once.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda: It seemed to me that hannah felt it was just an accident, despite her parents teaching her what a death cap was. Eve also stated that she had been taught what a death cap was, but added that her parents never would have made that mistake. Admitting that you thought it was murder and not an accident is not something you do if you actually murdered them, right?

And for the longest time I thought Eve was the crazy one, and at first it seemed obvious she was, but as eve shared more of her story it made more sense to me that she was a red herring and that the normal one was the killer. But maybe not.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kewlsnake: People have translated the knock codes to "I love you" and (this one has a few variations I've seen) "Byd Hannah", "Byd Hannan" and what I assume it's supposed to be "Bye Hannah"

I believe the "I love you" is tapped out by Hannah in the clip where she's alone in the room, and the "Bye Hannah" is tapped out by Eve in one of the final clips where she is discussing their knock code.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Twins is winning? You people are crazy! Seriously though, I'm pretty convinced that there are multiple personalities and that informed how I came to a lot of conclusions about what happened. I'm still unsure on some things like the tattoo but it is intentionally ambiguous and vague.

I suspect that she had something to do with her parents death, though that is one of the more confusing parts of the story. Eve's 'mother' the midwife was probably completely invented based on her love for repunzel and fairy tales. Going down the fairy tale rabbit hole and that informing the development of her multiple personalities was really obvious once you made that connection, and how she made her life and her other persona to mirror the stories she read as a child. Mirrors are another big thing, and the theme of reflection. I'm really glad I didn't stumble upon the clip of her describing the murder until quite late because it would have ruined it.

The reason why I don't buy the twin thing is because a lot of the things she says are explained by them being the same person, and wouldn't make sense if they were different. Like their periods being perfectly in sync, and one stopping their period exactly when the other is pregnant. It would be too convenient. At one point eve describes having sex with a lot of random people to get pregnant, and in a later interview hannah is asked about sleeping with other men in a way that suggests they have reason to believe she did, and I believe she is being honest when she says no because that wasn't 'her'.

Also, polygraph tests are incredibly dumb and don't hold up in a lot of legal settings though I can't speak for every country. Eve or Hannah's heart rate wouldn't increase when not telling the objective truth, because the truth for her is different so she wouldn't know she was lying.

I like that it is ambiguous but I would like to get to a more definitive answer. I saw almost all the clips, but I know they can't fill in all the blanks.

MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that it is ambiguous but I would like to get to a more definitive answer. I saw almost all the clips, but I know they can't fill in all the blanks.

I would absolutely love to get a more definitive answer. I'm pretty solidly in the twins camp, but I can agree that there are arguments for multiple personalities. I don't think either theory is flawless, so it would be very interesting to get official word at some point on what the truth is (if there even is one.)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#42 MattyFTM  Moderator

@alistercat said:

I would absolutely love to get a more definitive answer. I'm pretty solidly in the twins camp, but I can agree that there are arguments for multiple personalities. I don't think either theory is flawless, so it would be very interesting to get official word at some point on what the truth is (if there even is one.)

I like the ambiguity and I kinda hope that Sam Barlow doesn't clarify what he believes to be the true explanation. It has been clearly constructed to make both theories seem both plausible and implausible at the same time, so maybe there isn't even a "true" explanation and the idea is that the player just makes up their own mind and that is the story to them. It's super interesting seeing the debate, in any case.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@mattyftm said:
    @mechamarshmallow said:
    @alistercat said:

I like the ambiguity and I kinda hope that Sam Barlow doesn't clarify what he believes to be the true explanation. It has been clearly constructed to make both theories seem both plausible and implausible at the same time, so maybe there isn't even a "true" explanation and the idea is that the player just makes up their own mind and that is the story to them. It's super interesting seeing the debate, in any case.

The steam reviews would say otherwise. They're basically "you can figure it out in 10 minutes if you're not an idiot" so they're pretty convinced there is one easy answer.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this was mentioned, but there is a third possibility in which a very clever woman crafts the whole thing (including the ambiguity between twins/split personalities) to try and get away with murder.

(The tap codes are "LOVEU" and "BYDHANNAN", where D is a tap away from E and N is a tap away from H, which means that "Eve" probably just made some mistakes there, something that I doubt someone who grew up using it all the time would make, which credits the fabrication hypothesis)

MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ratamero said:

Not sure if this was mentioned, but there is a third possibility in which a very clever woman crafts the whole thing (including the ambiguity between twins/split personalities) to try and get away with murder.

(The tap codes are "LOVEU" and "BYDHANNAN", where D is a tap away from E and N is a tap away from H, which means that "Eve" probably just made some mistakes there, something that I doubt someone who grew up using it all the time would make, which credits the fabrication hypothesis)

I took that to be a difference between Hannah and Eve. In the twins theory, it is Hannah who taps out LOVEU correctly, and Eve who makes a mistake.

bigman38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bigman38

IIRC in the first tapping video she taps with both hands at different times, is it "LOVEU" with both hands?

I took that as her personalities talking to each other in the moment, as I think the interviewer is out getting her a drink according the video before. And the video after she asks the interviewer if that camera is recording, as if she just realized that it could have caught her personalities communicating. That was my read of her reaction at least.

This is google knowledge so take it for what it's worth, but I think dissociative identity disorder would be the diagnosis, not split personality.

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All I can say is that I loved it.

(But seriously, they're twins.)

LadyShayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LadyShayne

Even if we pretend that the tattoo & the bruise didn't exist, I'm definitely going with the twin theory. The fact that Eve was in Glasgow when the murder happened and (thanks to her hospital visit) has proof that she was nowhere near the crime scene helped the twin theory for me. She even milks the alibi claiming that she can't be in two places at once. In a separate Eve interview (blue short sleeved shirt) they confront her about the time stamp of her speeding ticket conflicting with the time she was actually still at work. Once again being in two different places at once.

There's a moment in the final interview where Eve talks about their differences and mentions "some things one is better than the other at." She uses driving as an example with a teenage Hannah taking the test for both of them because she (Eve) almost crashed the car when she tried to take it. This felt like a subtle callback to the speeding ticket and small car accident in Glasgow truthfully being Eve while Hannah was back home committing the murder. On the flip side, murder was something that Eve seemed to excel at as she was able to kill both Florence and their birth parents without any suspicion thrown her way, while Hannah's attempt landed them in the middle of a full-blown murder investigation.

The last bit that cemented the twin theory for me was Eve's passion for diaries and her desire to keep "everyone on the same page." I can't speak to the actual experience of split personalities, but every time it's depicted in fiction there's never a need for the various personalities to be in cahoots with each other and keep their stories straight while they're having different experiences in the same body. In those cases each personality goes to great lengths to show how different they are from the last. Keeping a consistent story and using the diary as a script would definitely be necessary if two different people were pretending to be one.

Either way, I love the fact that there are enough red herrings on both sides that a debate is even possible. I enjoyed this game even more than I thought possible. Instead of breaking open Arkham Knight I was frantically typing in bizarre search terms at 3am. Also the actress did an amazing job across the board with her performance regardless of if she was portraying twins or a woman with split personalities. Rewatching the clips in order it's stunning how much she transforms while playing both Hannah & Eve.

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you think that they're the same person, please explain to me the Glasgow alibi. We can safely assume that the police must have checked with the hospital in Glasgow and have been able to confirm a woman named either Eve or Hannah that fits the description, or else she would have been arrested sooner.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I forgot that Hannah inherited the house, but then Hannah kicked Eve out, right? Eve had been living on her own for a while before the murder. And it makes sense, because Hannah made it clear to Eve that she didn't want to share Simon anymore. So for Eve to think that Hannah inheriting the house would somehow change that, I don't think I buy it. Eve must have held some amount of love for her parents too. They had raised her (in a way) ever since she escaped Florence's house.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.