Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Her Story

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 24, 2015

Players must search a fictional police database and watch live-action interviews of a woman whose husband went missing. The game is from Sam Barlow, the director of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Aisle.

The little details

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

The big picture plot of Her Story is interesting and deep and all that, but I just wanted to write about the little things I haven't seen brought up. Please share the little things you noticed!

One Detective is probably Irish

The nature of the detectives is kept actively unclear, but I like the little string that clearly identifies the Man who Eve flirts with on July 1st is Irish. She looks at the pictures of his kids and talks about ginger hair. She says that the song she plays is "traditional" and he'll like it--it's an Irish folk song.

It's not a major point or especially revealing, but I like that even this little detail is hidden behind inferential clues.

Hannah's way into family; Eve is ambivalent

I like the thread of how Hannah really only brightens up when talking about happy families. She says she felt happy finally when she and Simon were living with his parents and expecting the baby. She clearly loves hanging with Eric and Diane and seeing how they raise their kids. And she's jealous that Eve gets pregnant. Eve is clearly more interested in her relationship and reflection with Hannah than she is having a family. If the song she chooses is any indication, her music also seems wrapped up in their story.

In the twin theory, the mood shift

I like this mystery that crops up rather subtly and ends up taking over the Simon mystery and even the twins mystery. If we follow the moods, it seems like Eve is by the book on 6/18 because she's communicating their story of missing Simon. Hannah is more flustered on 6/25 because they are about to spring the body on the cops but have to keep up appearances that he's missing. Eve is fake distraught at the body story on 6/27. Hannah is freaked on 6/30 because the Glasgow thing didn't seem to work. Eve is totally chill on 7/1 because, I think, Hannah's booked it.

If Hannah ran after 6/30, then Eve is relaxed because she feels like Glasgow is set and she and Hannah are going to get out of this, even if Hannah ran off. Since Hannah ran, Eve doesn't have notes to compare, proves the Twin theory to the cops, and screws herself. 7/2 she hates that they are seeing the twin thing, but 7/3 she's come to grips with it. She enjoys telling her story, she's relieved by it, and she loses her sense of defensiveness, incriminating herself as an accessory to murder.

This underlying feeling progress is fascinating to watch and clearly thought out, which is an incredible feet of acting and storytelling.

These videos become the fiddle

So, that song is fucked up. The allegory to the sister's lives is really obvious, but what's with the fiddle? In the song, the fiddler makes a fiddler out of the blonde sister, but the only song the fiddle can play is oh the wind and the rain. If that means that the fiddle itself tells the story of the murder, then the song is about the inevitability of a murderer being caught. The fiddle could be Simon's body or could be Eve, but I think it's the video. This series of videos clearly reveal the nature of Simon's murder (and other fucked up shit), and it's our job to, like the fiddler, construct the whole out of the parts of Eve and Hannah we get. By making our fiddle video, we reveal the story.

Way to find a fucking folk song that perfectly fit your narrative structure and themes, Barlow! (Or did you base them off the song itself...hmm). This version of the song does seem different than the traditional ones online, implying the lyrics were shifted to better fit the narrative.

So, that's what I've got/remember right now! Share the little things you noticed!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.