Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heroes of Newerth

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 12, 2010

Heroes of Newerth is a free-to-play, stand alone MOBA-game developed by S2 Games.

A Lot of Mean Players...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By citizenjp

I'm more of a League of Legends kind of guy to start this topic off, but I recently purchased HoN to give it a chance cuz it looked pretty dope and DoTa games rock. So first thing I notice is that a lot of players in the matches I have joined are very cold and often mean to n00bs and makes the game harder to get into. I don't even wanna play anymore to be honest lol. Terrible player base imo. Any one else been hastled for being a n00b on this one? I'm trying to learn but I keep getting kicked!!!! :P 

EDIT: PS: I had a second account I dabbled with in beta but my CitizenJP account is new so I have actually played more than 1 match oook? lol...

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fourby

I played a few matches of the beta, and got ripped apart by almost every person i ran into. DoTa games arent my calling anyhow, but thats beside the point.

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Tenshin

This is not a game that you go into solo. You need people who can tolerate the very long learning curve and hold your hand during the long path to average. Being in a team with 4 friends is what I personally recommend, as it worked for me and brings with it the most satisfying victories, the least soul-crushing defeats and some great fun over voice-chat.

But frankly speaking, CitizenJP, your topic reads a little whiny right from the start. You immediately put yourself down saying you're more of a "League of Legends kind of guy", "a lot of players [...] are very cold and often mean to n00bs" and you reach out to the GB community in an attempt to gather some simpathy. Instead, you should be asking "how can I get better?" You can start by watching these light youtube guides:

Nigma's Basic Tutorials
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMn6bcQYG20
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV01aLOnLJ8

Nigma's Guide to being a Better Player 
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e02e7qGhRwQ

Afterwards, feel free to add me (username: Deklan) in the game. This goes out to anyone reading this topic, too. I'm not saying I'm better than you, heck, you could be the one to give me a few pointers! The point is, don't stop playing this awesome game just because you ran into a few (ok, a lot) bad apples.

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tenshin
    @CitizenJP:  Actually, I just checked your profile. 1 match only? In which you ragequit, apparently. This was after:

• Not buying any items at the start or during the whole game.
    • Scoring only 1 last hit in the first 3 minutes, dying soon after.
    • Having to go heal just from creep damage.
    • Getting back to your lane 100% only to get killed by the tower, undisturbed.

And "mean players"? Absolutely unjustified, CitizenJP! Your team did not utter a single negative comment until finally asking you to leave. Are you sure you're a LoL player? You are horrible! And as soon as that game finished, you started this topic. Ugh. I am... revolted? I love this game, I can't just stay quiet about this. Before, I thought you were just a guy down on his luck, but now all I see is a effin' evil aura. 

I understand what it's like. I think anyone who ever played DotA can relate to the deep frustration the game can make you feel. But this is unjustified. Your words deserve no simpathy.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dipstick
    @Tenshin: Add me! Or I'll add you,either way :P  

I've just started getting in HON (with no previous dota type exp) I love playing it with friends but yeah....this game has a very long learning curve. We should play sometime :)
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Detrian

Much like DOTA, HON is infamous for being full of dicks. I dunno what you were thinking.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Tenshin said:
    " @CitizenJP:  Actually, I just checked your profile. 1 match only? In which you ragequit, apparently. This was after:

And "mean players"? Absolutely unjustified, CitizenJP! Your team did not utter a single negative comment until finally asking you to leave. Are you sure you're a LoL player? You are horrible! And as soon as that game finished, you started this topic. Ugh. I am... revolted? I love this game, I can't just stay quiet about this. Before, I thought you were just a guy down on his luck, but now all I see is a effin' evil aura.   I understand what it's like. I think anyone who ever played DotA can relate to the deep frustration the game can make you feel. But this is unjustified. Your words deserve no simpathy. "

your first comment is LEARN the GAME without help from any one else...basically instead of others trying to help out, they expect the person to go do research on every thing the game is and how to play instead of just getting into the game and learning that way, unforgiveable that a person wouldn't want to sit and do research and just wants to have fun, but thats the seriousness and elitism of online pc games right there.

maybe if the people in the match were willing to help him out since hes obviously new we'd not have posts like his? but were talking about the online pc culture something that gave birth to the term noob as some sort of dergoatory comment to make out that some how regular players knew how to play the game upon inception and never needed help.  *this is why I don't play Online pc games or mmo's*
    Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tenshin
    @WilliamRLBaker:  /agree with everything you said

But I did offer my help and extended a key piece of advice: if you're learning, playing in a friendly/tolerant environment is key.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By wunder_
    @WilliamRLBaker:@Tenshin:  A key thing in HoN is that, last I checked which was in the closed beta, they'd already implemented a video tutorial in which you play the very basics as a Pyromancer. They go into deeper details of last hitting and lane mechanics and really, is a very useful tool to any new person, especially one wary of the community. To the OP, if you've played LoL, you should at least have known basic attack and defend mechanics, if not the hero you were currently using. I agree that HoN is naturally competitive, but the same can be said for many team-based games. Think of it as a FPS but with scrim rules ALL the time and no huge pubs, that's essentially HoN. You're ALWAYS playing a scrim and always in this competitive environment and you can't avoid it, it's a 5v5 "Arena" game!
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Akrid

I tried pretty damn hard to play this game since I can see how it could be really fun. I played for a few weeks and it was obvious I was steadily getting better... But the players got to me. The structure of the game really demands high level play, one early death can lose it for your whole team. The experience system doesn't really help either, unless your truly exceptional it just hovers around 1500.

My PC gamer friend once asked me if I looked up any guides when I told him I was actually doing pretty well in a fighting game online, and I just gave him a funny look. Now I know. But if the learning curve is so brutal you have to seek help before you even play the game. the game has failed at it's job.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By citizenjp
    @Tenshin said:

" @CitizenJP:  Actually, I just checked your profile. 1 match only? In which you ragequit, apparently. This was after:

And "mean players"? Absolutely unjustified, CitizenJP! Your team did not utter a single negative comment until finally asking you to leave. Are you sure you're a LoL player? You are horrible! And as soon as that game finished, you started this topic. Ugh. I am... revolted? I love this game, I can't just stay quiet about this. Before, I thought you were just a guy down on his luck, but now all I see is a effin' evil aura.   I understand what it's like. I think anyone who ever played DotA can relate to the deep frustration the game can make you feel. But this is unjustified. Your words deserve no simpathy. "
    I wasn't asking for sympathy...rather just sharing my opnion...geez man lol. Just sharing a terrible experience is all. :P 
    No need for such verbal abuse man. ;) 

Edit: Jus a n00b making his way thru the world...u know how it is. 
             Althoooo I might giv it another try cuz I did beta for a lil but it was confusing for me at the time but like I said...I'm a LoL player. HoN was cool but honestly that one game was a terrible experience. 
             And besides...there's alot worse topics on this site anyways.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Detrian

Just stick to LOL man. Despite the retarded name and the simpler gameplay it's just more relaxed. 

Or try getting into the Bloodline Champions beta, I've heard it's alright.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's sad when a game community is ruined by elitism, it gives new players poor experiences and the elitists only end up hurting the game they like so much in the first place.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By citizenjp
    @Detrian said:
    " Just stick to LOL man. Despite the retarded name and the simpler gameplay it's just more relaxed. 

Or try getting into the Bloodline Champions beta, I've heard it's alright. "
    I agree. I'm just gonna stick with LoL for those reasons and the communities way better. And I'm actually good at it. :P
    citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By citizenjp
    @Gamer_152 said:
    "

It's sad when a game community is ruined by elitism, it gives new players poor experiences and the elitists only end up hurting the game they like so much in the first place.

"
    THANK YOU! Exactly. Like Tenshin over here...pfft.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Rowr

This genre always seems to lend heavily to this because of how easy you can fuck it for the whole team, and i guess the fairly intolerant elitist pc gamers that tend to be drawn to it.

As interesting as these games are to me i'll never have the patience to bother getting into the genre.

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tenshin

I get it that a lot of you guys identify more with CitizenJP and are quick imagine me as a negative force. But, if I may bring you closer to understanding my perspective on the whole thing: he bought the game, played a single match, left 13 minutes in and finally logged on to Giant Bomb for no other reason than to denigrate the game and gather support for a non-existent cause

I watched the full replay of his match and there were no negative comments, no "mean players" to be seen. This is why I am outraged.
    I did not see someone who was "trying to learn", either. If you've been playing LoL for a few months, you at least know how to buy items.

I'll cut you some slack, CitizenJP, if you ever feel like giving Newerth another shot, feel free to add me, I can give you a few pointers and roll with you in pubs.
    Edit: My in-game ID is Deklan.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By gosukiller

The whole thing about these kind of DotA games is playing with friends. These games can usually last for about 25 minutes to 90 minutes, so playing them is quite an investment. Getting your game ruined by somebody who randomly joined your game, didn´t bother to do any tutorials or a ´training game´ (LoL has it, don't know about HoN), is very upsetting to people that know the game and are competitive. 

Call this elitism, I don't care, the match making system should keep people like you out of 'real' games, untill you get some experience. I'm not blaming you for the poor expirience you suffered.

I remember starting DotA and LoL with a group of friends and enjoyed it greatly, I suggest that's how you handle games with a steep learning curve. Even a horrible loss can turn into fun if you got the right group :)

Also, Ragequiting makes any argument you make invalid, in my opinion. If you are going to jump into the game at least have the balls to get through it, it's "just a game", right?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By DoctorWelch

I played LoL for awhile during the beta and until I got better I got bashed too. I really like the DoTA games but the community has been playing for so long that they dont like noobs. Especially because DoTA is an extremely cooperative experience, so when one person sucks, the whole team suffers. So I can see the reasons why people would bash noobs and I cant really blame them, but its still annoying. 

Edit: After reading the rest of the comments, you cant complain after one game, especially when your that bad (no offense).

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I played a few rounds of the beta and quit because the community was absolute shit. I expect to get torn apart when first starting out a new type of game like that, it wasn't getting beaten that I didn't like, it was the community just being completely unwelcoming to new players.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HypoXenophobia

You know, I slightly enjoyed having a vicious community. It was like trial by fire. I always felt good when in the end(I loved playing as an engineer) I set up a turret, knocked out a couple guys, and set a force field and led to a rush to win. At that point, all the early hatred I got turns to praise. While I'm not the best, I don't think I would have improved if it wasn't for the incentive to prove them wrong. This was in the beta, but I plan on buying the full game a bit later on.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kishan6

this is league of legends except for dota players who played the game for fucking 7 years straight and thus incredible elitists

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo

That's why I refuse to play HoN and why I own LoL but don't play with people I don't know. Those games are fun, but the people are so annoying. I've honestly never heard people bitch so much in one game other than WoW. (Not bashing WoW, but any player knows that there is a great deal of people who bitch nonstop when an instance, raid, PUG or something doesn't go perfectly.)

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GaspoweR
    @CitizenJP said:

"...in the matches I have joined players are very cold and often mean to n00bs and makes the game harder to get into... I'm trying to learn but I keep getting kicked!!!! :P "  

@Tenshin said:

And "mean players"? Absolutely unjustified, CitizenJP! Your team did not utter a single negative comment until finally asking you to leave.
    Here's the part where I have to question the OP's intent in starting this thread. OP claimed to have joint matches  but in reality never even finished the 1st match. Then he goes out to claim that his teammates were cold  but in reality they were just minding their own business and asked the player to leave when he clearly wasn't doin well, not getting booted out of the game. Another point: getting killed by a tower undisturbed. Rookie or average-level experience DOTA players would know to stay clear of a tower and let the creeps take the punishment. The OP said he was pretty good in LOL and likes DOTA so it doesn't make sense. Well, sure the part of being asked to leave does give credence but the OP claims to have joined in matches  and not just one match and keep getting kicked out. Well, the OP should just has been straight up honest before starting this thread, otherwise I'm thinking the OP is just whining and trying to gain support by confabulating.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Clinkz

This fan base doesn't fuck around nor does it hold your hand. The learning curve to this game is very, very steep and you will get your ass kicked over and over again until you memorize the ropes.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azrail

hate lol and hon, though lol is better 
    both communities are filled with assholes, and both games are overly complex

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By citizenjp

So I guess to play this game u need friends? :o

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Locking this down at the request of the OP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.