Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heroes of Newerth

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 12, 2010

Heroes of Newerth is a free-to-play, stand alone MOBA-game developed by S2 Games.

Are the developers the same as Dota?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By artofwar420

I heard somewhere about a game the Dota makers were doing, I wonder if this is it, or is it some other game?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By demonbear

Its not this one, the one you're refering too is Legends of something. They give beta keys on Kotaku for the one you're looking for.

This one is made by the Savage 1 and 2 people. And as i reported in another thread, you should stay away from this game and the community of @ssholes it contains.

EDIT : its league of legends and here's the kotaku link! 
    You're welcome.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By artofwar420
    @demonbear: Wait, wat? Why are they assholes?
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kohe321

I haven't encountered any assholes playing HoN. It's a lot of fun.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By demonbear
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By artofwar420
    @demonbear: I'm sorry, but that's kinda how "Dota" games are, same in Demigod, same in the original Dota, help is the last thing to expect from players. Sure you might get lucky and someone might give you a hint about something. It's expected that you know how to play even before you install the game. I guees I'm used to that, you're not wrong, but that's how it is. I'll hopefully get in the beta.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By demonbear

Then its unacceptable. A game shouldn't be for elitists jerks, it should be for them, for you, for me. Everyone. The fact that i've never played dota before should not exclude me from a game by the devs and even less by the people playing in in the NOOBS section. I said it and i'll say it again. Avoid this community if you can and put your money where you can find a nicer bunch of people.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By artofwar420
    @demonbear: Again, you're right, but your warning is probably a better fit for people that never played Dota style games. Me, as long as the game is good, I can ignore the jerks.
    ParadoxControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ParadoxControl
    @demonbear said:

" Then its unacceptable. A game shouldn't be for elitists jerks, it should be for them, for you, for me. Everyone. The fact that i've never played dota before should not exclude me from a game by the devs and even less by the people playing in in the NOOBS section. I said it and i'll say it again. Avoid this community if you can and put your money where you can find a nicer bunch of people. "

Your going to have a hard time getting past the "Elitest Jerks" Mentality in a game with SO MANY hard core players already. This game, before it was even annouced, had over 1 million players world wide because of DotA. HoN is an almost perfict recreation of all the things that made DotA so popular, so its stealing a lot of its players from that community. What also helps feed this mentality is that most of the current Heros in the game, are Heros from the DotA map, and they play just like you would expect. So a seasoned Pro in Dota can pick up HoN and play it like hes been playing it for years.  

IMO this will thin out over time, as the more experianced players of DotA rank up and start to play in higher Tiers. It'll also help when they put true Match Making and such in the game. Theres also plans to put Bot Matchs in, so you can play some games off line vs. AI controlled Heros. Also, unlike a lot of team based games, all it takes is one really bad player to swing a game from Even to Steam Roll. Which isn't fun for anyone on any side. But right now there not trying to hook new players, there trying to balance heros and bug fix, which more experianced Dota players can do much better then your new player. 
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By demonbear
    @ParadoxControl: You make a lot of sense and I understand better now, but the fact remains, this community is acting like jackasses. Thanks for the explanation though, makes more sense now.
    ParadoxControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ParadoxControl
    @demonbear: The learning curve in a game like this is vary steep. So its no surprise that its kind of off putting for new players. I think you should give it a shot when its finally out, because I think with all the new features they put in for launch it'll be a much more newb friendly game. Or, you can find a group of friends and play with them! 
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Crono

I think it is funny that the developers of the original DotA are making a new DotA game that plays like DotA but doesn't walk the parallel line as closely as Heroes of Newerth does despite HoN not being developed by the DotA developers.

Also to demonbear, yes there are a lot of elitist jerks, but you are expecting "helpful hints" and what not?  I mainly play competitive online games and in these types of games rarely ever do I see players looking for "helpful hints" you have to learn for yourself and not let other people get you down in the process.  There are many people out there that will be willing to help you, however, they are generally not as vocal as their asinine counterparts.  I think it is because most figure "I learned on my own, you can too."  Learn by playing, learn by watching.  That will answer most of your questions.  I mean are you really going to let the opinions of other people, on the internet, hinder your own experience of the game?  I don't think I have ever cared about what anyone says to me in a game online, good or bad (and I rock in TF2 :D)

Exorte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Exorte
    @Crono:
    The creater of DotA said that he want LoL to be creative (He is creative in someway. The one of the most famous example is the new Pudge(not new anymore but there was a old one). So LoL doesn't have Orc alike other US/EU game. They also avoid to have hero alike the one in DotA.
    Exorte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Exorte
    @ParadoxControl:
    The new players will be more likely to chose LoL. because: 
    1.) S2-game said that HoN will target DotA player mainly instead of new player. (In one of the game interview.) 
    2.) Riot game said they are going to make this game more noob freindly. (and most poeple do agree with this now.)
    3.) LoL have Ai NOW in the beta version, unlike HoN havn't given any offcial promise (or i have not seen it in the beta forum). 
    4.) LoL have a Tutorial button in Beta. Even though it is not working but that means they are working on it. 

Personally I chose LoL over HoN (I'm in both beta with more than 2 account at both.) 
    At first I tried both game for one week (played around 100-150 games each).  This is what I feel: 
    1.) HoN community is a bit #&%$*. Why? In mine first game I got a score of 3-4-2 (beucase of mine sucky Vid card it lag every sec, they should change defult to all nomal and low) choosing Valk (PotM in DotA). Not bad for a first game (if you count that I need to click the minimap to scroll the game because the window of window mode is too large.), but mine teammate keep blaming me just because I missed ONE arrow and dying 4 times. 
    2.) The AoE spell visual in HoN need some change, it is hard to see where you are. (fixed, they change some of them.) 
    3.) The health bar  in HoN need some serious visual changes. It is VERY hard to find which one is enemy and which is teammate. (note: there is a VERY thin line around the health bar, ones with red color is enemy, ones with green is freindly.) 
    4.) Both have leaver protection system, anti- map hack (I assume LoL have it since you can disable Peer to Peer trans, and it is server-client) 
    5.) LoL is free, while HoN need to pay a one time fee. (both approved by offcial.) 
    6.) Before the game starts LoL is in a window mode. So you can do other thing while waiting. HoN need to press Window button to come out (which is annoying).
    7.) HoN rating system sucks. (staff said there will be a new one though.) 
    8.) HoN have a better graphic style. 
    9.) LoL have better balance, not just heros but things like back door, buff (runes in DotA). (They got one guy that balanced Wc3.) 
    10.) LoL is more fun in early game 
    11.) HoN can deny creeps, but lol can't (but it force player to be more active in early game. This is the reason for #10) 
    12.) LoL have BUSHES, where you can hide without letting enemy seeing you. 
    13.) LoL have free unlimit TP without needing a space in inventory. 
    14.) LoL have MUCH smaller map. (more chance ganking.)
    15.) LoL config option menu sucks. (99% it is a place holder. It is a black page with option box in it.) 
    16.) HoN support in-game chat by defult (no config needed.). 
    17.) A very annoy per-purchasing Ad in the HoN game menu (where you log in). 
    18.) LoL have more guide written even thought HoN have 5 times more beta keys given out. (I didn't count the very poor written one) 
    19.) HoN doesn't have working rating-game match (they will have it of cause). So we need to find player ourself. 
    20.) You can re-skin hero in LoL on your own. If you know how to. ( I dunno about HoN) 
    21.) HoN hotkey is ten time more easy to config then LoL (most people don't even know how to config hotkey in LoL).  I guess it is because LoL menu is still place-holders. 
    22.) HoN have Pudge.  LoL don't. (staff say they might add one if the communtiy really wants one)
    23.) LoL make more sense lore-wise.  
    24.) Summoner system (in LoL) is a good idea. So poeple won't leave games and create a new account then leave.
    Hattori_Hanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hattori_Hanzo

As a dota player for three years, and being in beta for both HoN and LoL, i can easily say that HoN is hands down better in every thinkable way. From a graphic stand point, i generally like the partly cel shaded look of LoL, but it just gets too confusing and way too bright in clashes. HoN is darker lit and has a darker more serious kind of tone. HoN is also m u c h  more similar to dota than LoL, in every single way: Heroes, items, map, game rules, creeps, spells, and overall community. This ain't a bad thing, HoN even improves on a lot of things that are lacking in dota. The hosting system of HoN is brilliant and simple aswell, it's easy to use and very fluid, i also happen to like the friend and chat options aswell as clan possibilities. Overall i would recommend HoN over LoL, as it looks a lot more like dota, which i love to death.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.