Heroes of Newerth Goes Free-to-Play

#1 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -

Bit of a shocker, but hopefully we'll see a large influx of people. Maybe even a Newerth TNT in the future?

#2 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

To bad there are still alot of assholes on it. Maybe not alot but alot of the time i run into them.

#3 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Well now I should try this game a bit and see if Sand Wraith is still a bad ass (I wouldn't really know at this point).  Thanks for the heads up mate and I gotta say, they made a wise decision.

#4 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

i'll stick with league of legends thanks.

#5 Posted by Irvandus (2777 posts) -

Already into League of legends, little too late.

#6 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

For free I'll try it, downloaded it earlier but haven't gotten around to playing it.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
To bad there are still alot of assholes on it. Maybe not alot but alot of the time i run into them.
I played one game on a friends account. "level 1" I was yelled at and literly cussed out of the game because it was my first match and really had no idea what to do. 
#8 Posted by PufferFiz (1375 posts) -

I don't like it. I think it undermine its userbase. Like I am not against f2p but fuck make that decision before you release the game cuse now I just feel fucked. Also they better still give me all the heros for free I don't want to have to pay on top of the 30 I spent for shit I was getting for free.

#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man
@scarace360 said:
I played one game on a friends account. "level 1" I was yelled at and literly cussed out of the game because it was my first match and really had no idea what to do. 
Don't act like the LoL community is any better.
#10 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
To be fair, the LoL community has its fair share of assholes as well. However, from my little experience with HoN and from what Ive heard from others, looks like HoN has more.
#11 Posted by h83r (468 posts) -

I thought League of Legends was the free-to-play version of Heroes of Newerth. Don't they share the characters or something?

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
@The_Laughing_Man
@scarace360 said:
They are a tad better. The HON people came right from DOTA and expect others to be perfect at it. So far ive only had two bad run ins in LOL after getting to level 9. My buddy tells me all the time about the dicks he encounters in HON. So I am sure this free to play will send the ass hats into orbit. 
#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
@The_Laughing_Man
@scarace360 said:
Never said lol was any better. Just as bad.
#14 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@NekuSakuraba said:
@The_Laughing_Man
@scarace360 said:
They are a tad better. The HON people came right from DOTA and expect others to be perfect at it. So far ive only had two bad run ins in LOL after getting to level 9. My buddy tells me all the time about the dicks he encounters in HON. So I am sure this free to play will send the ass hats into orbit. 
They where not already in orbit.
#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@NekuSakuraba said:
@The_Laughing_Man
@scarace360 said:
I mean about being annoyed by new people/ 
#16 Posted by President_Barackbar (3416 posts) -

I always thought it WAS free to play, especially because its a direct competitor to League of Legends.

#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:

I always thought it WAS free to play, especially because its a direct competitor to League of Legends.

You used to have to pay 30 bucks 
#18 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@scarace360 said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@NekuSakuraba said:
@The_Laughing_Man
@scarace360 said:
I mean about being annoyed by new people/ 
There are always new people.
#19 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -
@PufferFiz: People who bought the game before it went free to play still get all the heroes present and future. For new players it seems they're going with a LoL style hero rotation.
#20 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1139 posts) -

Is the community still a festering cesspit?

'Cause free won't necessarily fix that, and unless that's fixed I still won't play it.

#21 Edited by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

It's a dumb move on HoN's part, IMO. They have a very nasty community of elitests (versus a nasty community of trolls on LoL), they have a high-learning curve with low accessibility, and there are very few ways to actually get practice in on the game beyond getting their ass kicked while they try to figure stuff out.

What's worse is that there are a ton of people that don't play the game because they came over from DotA or were interested in something beyond what LoL already did, and the community of HoN basically made a lot of those people say "fuck this, I'm not putting up with these dickheads". Elitism ruins good games, and HoN is a good game...but seriously, the community is exactly what LaszloKovacs said - it's a festering cesspit.

If anything, the HoN creators are now just exposing the entire world to this cesspit so they can say "why the fuck would I want to play this game?".

@President_Barackbar said:

Not really. LoL is like a Labrador with a bark that scares off the bad guys and only bites when it needs to protect someone it loves. HoN is like a Pitbull mixed with a Doberman Pincher that's been trained to rip someone's fucking jugular out just for being within a five mile radius of it and refuses to make any friends.

#22 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

I'll stick with League of Legends, thank you very much. Like other people have said, when I tried the game a while back the community was fucking awful. LoL has their share of rotten eggs too but not nearly at the level that HoN has.

#23 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

My experience in the beta was dreadful. The community was full of the worst people in the world. Free isn't going to cut it, you would have to pay me money to play HoN.

#24 Posted by niko555 (118 posts) -
@LaszloKovacs:  heyyyyy im a HON player and im not an asshole ): (atleast i think so)
#25 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

What is it about this kind of game that brings out the psycho that every nerd has inside?.

#26 Posted by ikwal (225 posts) -

@PufferFiz said:

I don't like it. I think it undermine its userbase. Like I am not against f2p but fuck make that decision before you release the game cuse now I just feel fucked. Also they better still give me all the heros for free I don't want to have to pay on top of the 30 I spent for shit I was getting for free.

It sucks to pay for something that you didn't have to but is $30 really something to be upset about? At least you got to play, and hopefully enjoy, the game for some time before it went f2p.

#27 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@The_Laughing_Man
@scarace360 said:

It is true fact. Riot do ban players if reported.

#28 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

My experience in the beta was dreadful. The community was full of the worst people in the world. Free isn't going to cut it, you would have to pay me money to play HoN.

Exactly this. Didn't have a single game where I wasn't verbally assaulted. 

From the small amount I've played of LoL it was a lot better. But even then, they'd have to fundamentally change the way DOTA works for me to try that stuff again. It's built in such a way that one terrible player + two great ones will always lose, which makes the game fundamentally aggravating for all comers.
#29 Posted by Majkiboy (952 posts) -

I bought the game some time ago to play with firends, it was fun for some time. But without firends I would never even tried it out because the community is the worst ever.
And, as it is now, I won't go into that game because some of my friends developed the same rage as the rest of the community, the game is not fun anymore. I just want to play the game, I don't want to listen to people raging and taking it too seriously. It is just a game dudes! 

So,as stated before me free to play won't change the dickish community

#30 Posted by dillinger (178 posts) -

lol. I've played a few games in HoN now, since I'm just getting into these style games, i started in LoL (didn't play much) and moved to HoN because i was told it was better, though the community is far less forgiving. I still don't understand half the terms but I'm picking them up and I find sticking to one hero at first and figuring out how to play before you try others is a good way to stop getting cussed. Really, just read a guide or two on a hero you want to play, follow that to the letter. Even tell it to automatically pick your skills based on that build, and buy items based on the guide, you'll be fine. Usually i just find someone good and follow them around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.