Heroes Of Newerth Goes Totally Free For One Week

• 171 results
Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

I don't know if you've paying attention to recent releases, but there's a lot of video game activity and interest on the personal computer right now. More so than normal in fact. It's almost as if the platform is currently the nexus of some very popular releases. With this current spark of interest in the platform, PC developers would be wise to try and attract some portion of this PC gaming player resurgence, which is exactly what S2, the developer behind the Savage franchise, is taking advantage of this week.

For the next six days, S2's Heroes of Newerth, the strategy game "inspired" by the popular Defense Of The Ancients gametype that gained prominence in Warcraft III, is going 100% free-to-play. From now until August 9, players who register for a HoN account will have access to every single piece of content S2 has created for the game: all 65 heroes, stat-tracking and multiplayer ladders, VOIP service, and every single map.

I want more minerals, but I don't know why!

Once August 9th comes around and the free week ends, players interested in sticking around will have the option of buying a full license for Heroes of Newerth for a one-time payment of $30.

I was being a little coy earlier in this story, but I do think S2 has timed their free week optimally: people are way more interested in PC strategy games than they were a month ago. Game players have the strategy game fever in a way that hasn't been present in video games for a long time. If S2 is able to entice even a handful of people playing StarCraft II now to put down some money for Heroes of Newerth, it could mean a huge boost to the game's popularity. It's a gambit that might very well pay off for S2.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

I don't know if you've paying attention to recent releases, but there's a lot of video game activity and interest on the personal computer right now. More so than normal in fact. It's almost as if the platform is currently the nexus of some very popular releases. With this current spark of interest in the platform, PC developers would be wise to try and attract some portion of this PC gaming player resurgence, which is exactly what S2, the developer behind the Savage franchise, is taking advantage of this week.

For the next six days, S2's Heroes of Newerth, the strategy game "inspired" by the popular Defense Of The Ancients gametype that gained prominence in Warcraft III, is going 100% free-to-play. From now until August 9, players who register for a HoN account will have access to every single piece of content S2 has created for the game: all 65 heroes, stat-tracking and multiplayer ladders, VOIP service, and every single map.

I want more minerals, but I don't know why!

Once August 9th comes around and the free week ends, players interested in sticking around will have the option of buying a full license for Heroes of Newerth for a one-time payment of $30.

I was being a little coy earlier in this story, but I do think S2 has timed their free week optimally: people are way more interested in PC strategy games than they were a month ago. Game players have the strategy game fever in a way that hasn't been present in video games for a long time. If S2 is able to entice even a handful of people playing StarCraft II now to put down some money for Heroes of Newerth, it could mean a huge boost to the game's popularity. It's a gambit that might very well pay off for S2.
#2 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@one_2nd said:
" FIRST! "
Sal...
#3 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

No way.

#4 Edited by Brackynews (4065 posts) -

I'm waiting for Heroes of New-erff.
You can play as a RoBit.

#5 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I played some of the League of Legends Beta and never really tried this. I might actually get into it now...that is if I ever stop playing SCII :P

#6 Posted by Xiemos2 (226 posts) -

Rather play League of Legends...

#7 Posted by Brad (2932 posts) -

I actually really want to play HON (have an account open and everything) but I'm so deep into StarCraft II already that I'm not sure I could juggle a second intensely competitive, intricate PC strategy game. Plus, the community scares me.

Staff
#8 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

I play HoN a lot and I enjoy it. I already bought it so I don't have to worry about the free week, but for anyone that enjoys/enjoyed DotA, it is worth checking out.

#9 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

Play LoL idiots!!!

#10 Posted by Mageknight (122 posts) -

I love HON! It takes a lot of investment learning the ropes, but once you understand it, it can be incredibly rewarding. This is coming from someone who never played DOTA, either. If you're playing for the first time you should drop by the Giantbomb channel and we can help you out.

#11 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -
@Brad said:
" I actually really want to play HON (have an account open and everything) but I'm so deep into StarCraft II already that I'm not sure I could juggle a second intensely competitive, intricate PC strategy game. Plus, the community scares me. "
I could not agree more about the community, They are a bunch of hardcore ruthless Dota players and their matches have no room for fresh meat !
#12 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -

LoL is always free. Play that.

#13 Posted by snoreski (25 posts) -

still think its just another cota knockoff...
#14 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@snoreski said:
" still think its just another cota knockoff... "
lol. you mean dota?
#15 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -
@Brad: The community has its winners and its losers, but if you find a good clan to join then you should usually have people to play with that are fun and not typical racist internet users. I'm currently playing both SC2 and HoN and they provide a good balance. HoN really helps with the micro side of SC2 because all you do is control one single character.
#16 Posted by Nonentity (235 posts) -

League of Legends is free to play, and isn't a 100% copy of the DotA mechanics, they're trying something new. 

I recommend it!

#17 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

i guess i dont understand why people should play LoL when this is free for a week? why not try it and see if you like it. just because league of legends is always free doesnt mean this should be ignored

#18 Posted by Nytrik (153 posts) -

People should really head over to the forums and in-game type /join giantbomb and chat with the other GB HoNers. 

#19 Posted by ExcessDan (18 posts) -

are new players still treated like shit?

#20 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

LOL, best buy.

#21 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

I'm not sure, i might try it...
#22 Posted by buzz_clik (6974 posts) -

Am I the only person who thinks of Bebe Neuwirth whenever this title pops up? I'm guessing I am.

#23 Posted by Tolkienfanatic (99 posts) -

Sadly making it free won't make me good at it

#24 Posted by Stryker115 (20 posts) -

I neverreally could get into HoN, it seemed pretty hardcore imediately.

#25 Posted by Chadster (326 posts) -

Oh great, now I can attempt to play the game while every single person in the game yells at me because I'm not an expert at it.

Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends have to most vicious, unaccepting, and unfriendly communities I've ever seen in an online game. Even joining a server specifically labeled for noobs and apologizing at the beginning of the match for my lack of skill still resulted in me being cursed out of the match.

#26 Posted by DeltaKilo81 (2 posts) -

@ExcessDan It's a "DotA" game....so, yeah!

#27 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

For those who don't know the difference between LoL and HoN:

LoL was made by the people who actually made DotA, and the developershave made many huge improvements on the original DotA formula.  Meanwhile, HoN is an exact copy of DotA (plus a few new heroes and stat tracking) made by people who didn't work at all to make the original but realized there was no protection from stealing the entire game for themselves.

Sorry if that sounds biased, but the facts are what they are.  In the end, just play the game you prefer.

#28 Posted by Asian2Go (180 posts) -

Reminds me that I should get back into League of Legends.

#29 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

Or, I could just play League of Legends... Which is always free... and is more accessible to new comers... and is actually balanced 

#30 Posted by m1k3 (1327 posts) -

dont like the idea of paying for a DOTA  clone, but i might try it.

#31 Posted by CitizenJP (1016 posts) -
@Hylianhero1991 said:
" Reminds me that I should get back into League of Legends. "
This!
#32 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" i guess i dont understand why people should play LoL when this is free for a week? why not try it and see if you like it. just because league of legends is always free doesnt mean this should be ignored "
I played HoH when it was in beta... I liked it, but the champions were very unbalanced, and the matchmaking system is pretty flawed, causing high level players to get pissed at the newcomers. 

LoL has a great community, and is very balanced, but it also has its downfalls (downed servers). But it is free forever, and Riot games is constantly updating the game with game tweaks and new champions weekly. HoH deserves some recognition, but LoL is where my recommendation goes.
#33 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -
@Chadster said:
" Oh great, now I can attempt to play the game while every single person in the game yells at me because I'm not an expert at it.  Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends have to most vicious, unaccepting, and unfriendly communities I've ever seen in an online game. Even joining a server specifically labeled for noobs and apologizing at the beginning of the match for my lack of skill still resulted in me being cursed out of the match. "
League of Legends is pretty friendly if you go into one of those matches meant for new people. Like...practice matches. People are very friendly in those, as long as you listen to them and not just run forward into enemy turrets.
#34 Posted by Asian2Go (180 posts) -
@CitizenJP said:
" @Hylianhero1991 said:
This! "
They have all the season stuff going on now right? Fucking starcraft 2, stealing me away from LoL =P
#35 Posted by Figcoinc (102 posts) -

This is kind of interesting.

#36 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Never really liked dota. It is fun the first 15 minutes, but always grows old.

#37 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -

Been playing a ton of LoL with my friends lately. The game is great, and free. Though I eventually ended up spending $20 on it, it really isn't necessary to ever buy anything with real money.

#38 Posted by Stonecutter (24 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:

" Am I the only person who thinks of Bebe Neuwirth whenever this title pops up? I'm guessing I am. "

Nope! Every time I hear about this game I think "...Lilith!"
#39 Posted by daveypixel (18 posts) -

Yes!!

#40 Posted by Stonecutter (24 posts) -
@SuperSecretAgenda said:
" @Chadster said:
" Oh great, now I can attempt to play the game while every single person in the game yells at me because I'm not an expert at it.  Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends have to most vicious, unaccepting, and unfriendly communities I've ever seen in an online game. Even joining a server specifically labeled for noobs and apologizing at the beginning of the match for my lack of skill still resulted in me being cursed out of the match. "
League of Legends is pretty friendly if you go into one of those matches meant for new people. Like...practice matches. People are very friendly in those, as long as you listen to them and not just run forward into enemy turrets. "
Like all games there's good and bad, I've had both, but there's something about DOTA, LoL and all the Warcraft 3 mods that just draws entitled assholes. As in "You don't know how to play this game, thus I'm more entitled than you are to have fun." Every team tower defense in WC3, the first time you play, you probably fuck your team, and yet, you get treated like you're inherantly supposed to know how to play. It's frustrating.
#41 Posted by Modoversus (15 posts) -

Sounds interesting, will give it a try later on the desktop.

#42 Posted by Nime (108 posts) -

Just get a few friends together and give this a try. It's difficult to get into at first, but once you get into it it's great fun. I greatly prefer it to LoL - worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

#43 Posted by Crono (2656 posts) -

It's pretty good game but has a steep learning curve if you've never played DotA or a dota style game before.  There are a lot of players in the game already at a variety of skill levels so don't let the learning curve put you off if you are curious but... worried that you might just suck.  They have a tutorial - it's good for teaching the bare minimum you need to know, but not much more.

I have been playing this off and on during the beta, a group of friends from my hometown and I play it whenever a few of us are on.  It's a fun game if you have friends but if you play with strangers and don't do so hot, beware!  This game has about the worst online community I have ever seen.  Everyone seems to always be on edge and irate if your team is losing and everyone is always just looking for someone to blame for their defeat.  Of course, if you're winning... everyone is just peachy.

#44 Posted by DaoJones (37 posts) -

Community for this game is pretty meh, in case you have not heard.  ;)

#45 Posted by Twie (28 posts) -

If it's anything like the beta, I'll stick with LoL or just plain old DoTA....

#46 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

League of Legends is so much better.

#47 Posted by Razor (108 posts) -

Stay away, the online community is shit.  If you join any game type, you will be scrutinized and blamed for every minor mistake and especially for AUTO ATTACKING.

JUST STAY AWAY OR MAYBE YOU LIKE SEEING SOMEONE TYPE "BADDIES" AND REFER IT TO YOU CONSTANTLY!!!

#48 Posted by CitizenJP (1016 posts) -
@Hylianhero1991 said:
" @CitizenJP said:
" @Hylianhero1991 said:
This! "
They have all the season stuff going on now right? Fucking starcraft 2, stealing me away from LoL =P "
Lol I know! SC2 is killin me...in a good way I guess I dno hehe. 
And yes the season stuff is going down!
#49 Posted by berfarah (6 posts) -

Love this game - bought it a year ago. The investment (learning curve) is massive at first, but totally worth it. It's a great game to play socially.

#50 Posted by Avarix (47 posts) -

Looked at the screenshot and thought it was something Starcraft at first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.